I hate halibut

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
This is the worst fish ever. You can't fry it decent. Tough. Bland. And look at these goddamn things. Flounder are ugly enough but monster flounders. WTF do they eat? You look at the steaks in the store and you're like, hey, this is a decent looking fish. I could grill it, broil it or whatever. Then you get home, cook the shit all kind of different ways and it tastes like a sneaker dipped in pussy. Look at these things. I know I said that already. But look.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Whatever dude. You don't even live near an ocean.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    anything dipped in pussy is an improvement. fatback included.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Just an hour.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    anything dipped in pussy is an improvement. fatback included.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My father in law brings back halibut from his Alaskan fishing trips every summer and we usually cook 'em by breading and frying them and it's solid, especially if you manage to get the cooking time right.

It's not my favorite fish of course - black cod from Alaska is where it's REALLY at.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I dunno about halibut, but used to catch hundreds of flounder out of Galveston Bay during the summer months and basically all we'd do was de-head them, de-gut them, then wrap them in tin foil with butter, throw them in the oven for awhile...and they'd always come out delicious.

Delicious enough to eat hundreds of them and never get sick of them.

The problem with halibut is that their steaks come out really thick so that, by the time you get them properly cooked, you run the risk of drying the meat out. Whereas with thinner flat fish like flounder, you can flash cook 'em.

Harvey - you ever been to a jubilee? Those sound hella fascinating, like the old grunion runs you could do in LA before the grunion population got decimated.

The problem with halibut is that their steaks come out really thick so that, by the time you get them properly cooked, you run the risk of drying the meat out. Whereas with thinner flat fish like flounder, you can flash cook 'em.

Harvey - you ever been to a jubilee? Those sound hella fascinating, like the old grunion runs you could do in LA before the grunion population got decimated.

Naw, not sure what you mean by a jubilee. Didn't realize the grunion runs took a hit, but I guess that figures.

We'd actually wade-fish for flounder (and trout and redfish), either with live shrimp or with Johnson spoons. Other fools gig for them where they go out at night with lights on their heads and stab flounder in the shallows with pitchforks.

I thought Jubilees were throughout the Gulf Coast but it looks like it's really only in Mobile Bay in Alabama. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Bay_jubilee

Look for photos of 'em. They're nuts.

That's just too easy. But hey, if you are really subsisting off of what you catch...thank you, Lord.

When we'd run out of live bait, we'd sometimes have to resort to manually dragging nets through ankle-deep sludge...just to catch a few dozen shrimp to then go wish with.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Blasphemy!

Halibut should be slightly undercooked, preferably baked in an oven. Marinate that bitch with some ginger, little bit of garlic, little bit of nice olive oil. Salt & pepper to taste if that's your thing. Sweet sweet potato-mash and some nice greens (fried butter-garlic-asparagus would be my choice).

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If you get the temp right, Halibut on a charcoal grill is quite good. Not my fave, though.

You can make a good ceviche with Halibut.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Last year I tried a smoked piece of Halibut. It was delicious.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    you are high. halibut is extremely VIP.

there's east coast halibut and west coast halibut. this is an important distinction. west coast halibut are generally larger, have a cleaner flavor, and are more sought after by high end restaurants. But atlantic halibut are certainly good too.

i will give you this, halibut "steaks" are a disgrace and are a ludicrous way to portion and prepare this fish. Basically you are paying for extra weight in bones that add very little flavor and downright hinder the proper preparation of this fish.

halibut NEEDS to be cooked gently. poaching in a light stock or oil is ideal. the oil or water should be about 160 degrees. This fish is extremely delicate, and excessive heat will easily break down fragile strands of protein that hold in moisture. This results in dry, rubbery, "dipped in p*ssy" tasting fish.

Halibut should be like a soft gently yielding pillow. As soon as a cake tester or thin metal skewer easily slides through the flesh, it's done. This means the fish should have an internal temperature between about 128-134 degrees. Blasting it in the oven is a bad idea. Grilling is fine, but after you've marked it on the grill, use a lower temp cooking medium to finish it off....225 oven, 160 oil or water, etc. guaranteed better results.

• Options
    Halibut is f*cking delicious.

That said, nothing beats grilled Chilean sea bass.
    Black cod is a very close second.

• Halibut is f*cking delicious.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Where does Tilapia stand with you guys? I like it a lot.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    love tilapia.

I dunno - I get to enjoy high quality halibut thanks to the dad-in-law and I've done the poaching (and yes, it's a great way to prep it) and had it BBQed and fried and it's a perfectly decent fish...but I would never order it at a restaurant or buy it on my own. I just don't find it that interesting of a fish, food-wise.

• yo tilapia is boring, but nothing beats that schitt fried with a helping of rice