GANGLAND on History Channel Appreciation

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I'm addicted to these. The Los Zetas one was on some facemelt shit (literally).

This needs to win an emmy.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I ride hard for this show. They play it in marathons, too, and I always end up watching three or four episodes in a row.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Dope show, only been able to catch it in brief parts though

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Gangland is awesome!! I tried to do the cousin version of this thread in 'America's Hardest Prison's' but no one bit!!

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    These programs are produced quickly in Chicago, I know some people that work on it. I do not ride, however. Lack of good locale filming and constant repetition of content and image within the same episode makes for weak viewing. Probably the best "gang" program in recent years was the Blackstone P-Ranger/El Rukn installment of American Gangster. That shit was deeply researched and had incredible period footage.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I forget which episode it was, believe it may have been an Atlanta gang but there was some dude named Little Bear who got shot maybe eight times and was in a coma for a long while. He had this Velcro-strapped harness keeping his plastic insides in check; he unstrapped at the end of the show at it was seriously some of the most hardcore shit I ever ever seen on TV -- the wounds just decimated this kid, with his stomach falling out like a loose bag. Anyone else catch that one?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I love that show. Hadn't seen the Zetas one though...wow.

I love that show. Hadn't seen the Zetas one though...wow.

Caught it the other night. REAL good.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i received season 1-2 on wedneday and ordered 3-4

loving it

you eed to check hijos de la guerra on the MS-13

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    I think I can safely say that FSU episode was full of hype that glamorized and puffed up an otherwise small fry organization. Actually I think it's fair to say that most or all episodes glamorize the gangs in some way.

I think I can safely say that FSU episode was full of hype that glamorized and puffed up an otherwise small fry organization.

Yeah, that's true. I remember hearing all about FSU growing up, but really they were just a factor in the hardcore scene at the time. Not exactly on the level of MS-13.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There's an FSU episode?? No way!

Is it all about punching girls in the face in hardcore show pits
    and stealing kegs from college freshman parties??

My hometown is featured in the episode. Dudes are just hardcore show thugs, I'm not even sure why they exist, other than as a farm team for 1%ers. They don't deal dope, at least as a rule, I don't think.

There's an FSU episode?? No way!

Is it all about punching girls in the face in hardcore show pits
    and stealing kegs from college freshman parties??

That's actually not too far off! But, you know, they played up the "protecting the integrity of the scene from nazis" angle to make them look somewhat legitimate.

"protecting the integrity of the scene from nazis"

LOL, try and join the Outlaws if you're black.

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts
    this shit is depressing on the highest level

LOL, try and join the Outlaws if you're black.

I don't get it.

Nothing new, just young males since the beginning of humanity. Smart countries channel that energy into the military.

Not at you, I'm laughing cos cos FSU ostensibly formed as an anti-Nazi group, but the Outlaws MC recruits from their ranks. Most white MCs I know of only allow whites, with some Asians and Hispanics, no brothas.

Not at you, I'm laughing cos cos FSU ostensibly formed as an anti-Nazi group, but the Outlaws MC recruits from their ranks. Most white MCs I know of only allow whites, with some Asians and Hispanics, no brothas.

Ahhhhh...gotcha. I forgot about the FSU/Outlaw connection. I was pretty buzzed when I watched it.

As someone who was jumped at a show and had 8 of these dudes standing
    around me in a circle kicking me while I turtled on the ground - all for
    the crime of telling one of them that the guy he was punching was unconcious
    and might die - I find this statement laughable. Thankfully I had enough cache
    in the scene myself that the singer of the band that was performing jumped off
    stage mid-song and came out to pull them all off of me himself. Classy outfit.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    Lack of good locale filming and constant repetition of content and image within the same episode makes for weak viewing. Probably the best "gang" program in recent years was the Blackstone P-Ranger/El Rukn installment of American Gangster. That shit was deeply researched and had incredible period footage.

Yeah they use the same clips of dark militias running though the forest far too many times. But i do find myself watching these as I'm going to bed and end up having effed up dreams.

Cosign on the P-Stones doc. twas a good watch.

That sucks. In that situation you either have to brush it off, or patiently await cold revenge. In that case it helps to have friends in low places.

That sucks. In that situation you either have to brush it off, or patiently await cold revenge. In that case it helps to have friends in low places.

Yeah, no doubt - I definitely blew it off. In fact, all these people were freaking
    out, trying to get me to sneak out the back door afterwards, but I was like, "It's
    over, they don't care about me." and just walked out the front like it never happened.

I find this statement laughable.

I think anyone who knows anything about these dudes finds this statement laughable???hence the judicious use of online quotation fingers. Or, as they're known in the literary community, "quotation marks".

Let's try that again:

That's ostensibly true. They leave out the part where aside from beating down skinheads, they were just a pack of violent dudes who didn't give a f*ck about anything and would beat people, smash shit, and rob people because they felt like it.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

I think anyone who knows anything about these dudes finds this statement laughable???hence the judicious use of online quotation fingers. Or, as they're known in the literary community, "quotation marks".

Let's try that again:

Not to derail, but I don't think this is the usage you're looking for. It's been a minute since I've seen that movie, but as I recall, Dr. Evil wasn't using quotation marks/fingers to indicate facetiousness, but to indicate words that he thought were high-tech jargon and thus might be strange to the common folk (e.g. "laser"). The fact that the words were not at all strange, and were only high-tech in his antiquated 1960s-super-spy world, was the source of the alleged comedy ("comedy," question mark?).

In any case, fuck a skinhead thug.

Let's try that again:

Not to derail, but I don't think this is the usage you're looking for. It's been a minute since I've seen that movie, but as I recall, Dr. Evil wasn't using quotation marks/fingers to indicate facetiousness, but to indicate words that he thought were high-tech jargon and thus might be strange to the common folk (e.g. "laser"). The fact that the words were not at all strange, and were only high-tech in his antiquated 1960s-super-spy world, was the source of the alleged comedy ("comedy," question mark?).

In any case, fuck a skinhead thug.

Haha! No doubt. It was just one of the first things to come on google image search for "quotation fingers".

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Haha! No doubt. It was just one of the first things to come on google image search for "quotation fingers".

Movie context aside, imagining Dr. Evil saying "protecting the integrity..." is kinda funny.