Robert Mitchum and other old badasses (NRR)

2»

Comments

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    Two other guys with faces that just exude bad news are Lee Van Cleef and Richard Widmark - very good bad guys.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, Van Cleef for the most part worked within the Western genre mainly of the spaghetti variety during his prime... some of my favorites where he played the hero/anti-hero are the Sabata trilogy, although for some reason he missed the second which Yul Brynner starred in, The Big Gundown and The Grand Duel... his great villain roles are many, Angel Eyes obviously being most classic...

Richard Widmark is certainly one the best actors from the noir period, imo, as I found he was equally skilled at portraying the bad guy and good guy... his Udo of "Kiss of Death" was about as demented a villain as you could find in those days... what a glefully maniacal performance! Probaly my favorite role by him though is his fatalistic turn in 'Night and the City'...

Great suggestions!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I found Hardcore to be as gritty as cold cream - did I see a cut version?

I thought it was a pretty good movie, gritty style cinematography, nudity, violence, and depicted sleazy locales of the 70s. I guess our def. of grit are different.

Yojimbo = A Few Dollars More (Spaghetti Western)= Last Man Standing
    Seven Samurai = Magnificent Seven
    Hidden Fortress = Star Wars

High and Low = Ron Howard's Ransom

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Richard Widmark is certainly one the best actors from the noir period, imo, as I found he was equally skilled at portraying the bad guy and good guy... his Udo of "Kiss of Death" was about as demented a villain as you could find in those days... what a glefully maniacal performance! Probaly my favorite role by him though is his fatalistic turn in 'Night and the City'...

Great suggestions!

Sayin'! No Way Out was great, as was The Street with No Name, and you can't forget the classic Pickup on South Street. I was quite amused the first time I saw him as a proper good guy in Panic in the Streets. Also, check out an old Widmark in 1974's Murder on the Orient Express.

40s and 50s: Neville Brand always plays a sadistic villian.
    60s and 70s: Tomas Milian is cold as ice in a lot of roles and comes correct with the one-liner smart assery. Cosign on Henry Silva, too. Check "Johnny Cool" with him, Elizabeth Montgomery and Telly Savalas

Tomas Milian is one of my favorite italian actors of that period along with Giancarlo Giannini... always offbeat portrayals infused with his trademark humour... for a great pairing of the aforementioned Palance along with Milian, check the awesome spaghetti "Companeros"... first collaboration between two of the biggest italian genre actors of the 60s/70s, Milian with Franco Nero...

Palance plays the amputated weed blazing vilain

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    40s and 50s: Neville Brand always plays a sadistic villian.
    60s and 70s: Tomas Milian is cold as ice in a lot of roles and comes correct with the one-liner smart assery. Cosign on Henry Silva, too. Check "Johnny Cool" with him, Elizabeth Montgomery and Telly Savalas

Tomas Milian is one of my favorite italian actors of that period along with Giancarlo Giannini... always offbeat portrayals infused with his trademark humour... for a great pairing of the aforementioned Palance along with Milian, check the awesome spaghetti "Companeros"... first collaboration between two of the biggest italian genre actors of the 60s/70s, Milian with Franco Nero...

Palance plays the amputated weed blazing vilain

ha! I have that movie from Netflix at home right now. I'll get to it on the weekend.

Great suggestions!

Sayin'! No Way Out was great, as was The Street with No Name, and you can't forget the classic Pickup on South Street. I was quite amused the first time I saw him as a proper good guy in Panic in the Streets. Also, check out an old Widmark in 1974's Murder on the Orient Express.

He's great in Pickup, I wish Fuller had used him again as he's perfect for the type of material that Fuller was known for... As for Panic in the Streets, that's probaly the only great thing about it... that and Palance as the bad guy... the set-up with the poker game at the beginning was pretty raw... pretty disapointing for a Preminger flick...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Mitchum must-sees:

Out of the Past
    Cape Fear
    Night of the Hunter
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle
    Thunder Road

and on Christmas watch Holiday Affair

seriously, before any other Mitchum movies, you MUST watch 'Out of the Past'

it's a shame Mitchum didn't do more true Noir pictures... besides Out of the Past, the rest of his noir work is so so... Angel Face is a cool movie, but sort of a "parlour noir"... The Big Steal is a blah film... it's funny, for a guy so associated w/ Noir, he's only in like one true classic (out of the past)...

but, being w/ this thread starting w/ 70's Mitchum, gotta add the remakes of The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely... both good in their own way...

Mitchum must-sees:

Out of the Past
    Cape Fear
    Night of the Hunter
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle
    Thunder Road

and on Christmas watch Holiday Affair

seriously, before any other Mitchum movies, you MUST watch 'Out of the Past'

it's a shame Mitchum didn't do more true Noir pictures... besides Out of the Past, the rest of his noir work is so so... Angel Face is a cool movie, but sort of a "parlour noir"... The Big Steal is a blah film... it's funny, for a guy so associated w/ Noir, he's only in like one true classic (out of the past)...

but, being w/ this thread starting w/ 70's Mitchum, gotta add the remakes of The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely... both good in their own way...

Always wanted to see Mitchum in Farewell My Lovely but the DVD went out of print pretty quickly, hopefully will be reissued soon... I heard this one still takes place in 1940's L.A, no?

As for the remake of The Big Sleep, that thing's beyond trash... Michael Winner's a hack of a director... Marlowe in 1970's England??! wtf?!! Recommended only for the diehard Mitchum/Noir fan, imo, and just as a curiosity...

Always wanted to see Mitchum in Farewell My Lovely but the DVD went out of print pretty quickly, hopefully will be reissued soon... I heard this one still takes place in 1940's L.A, no?

For a man who loves movies as much as you do, you should really get down with Netflix. You can watch this instantly on your computer.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Movies to boil the blood and fire up your inner Lee Marvin:

ROLLING THUNDER
    TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3
    CHARLEY VARRICK
    MR. MAJESTYK
    STRAW DOGS
    BILLY JACK
    DARKER THAN AMBER

For a man who loves movies as much as you do, you should really get down with Netflix. You can watch this instantly on your computer.

Been meaning to get on Netflix for awhile, this might be the final push...

Been meaning to get on Netflix for awhile, this might be the final push...

I started a few years back, and never regretted it for a second. It's worth it for the recommendations alone, never mind the mind-boggling catalog.

ROLLING THUNDER

YES!