What magazines do you subscribe to?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I only have a subscription to one; Rue Morgue, and I really enjoy it, even though it is kind of expensive.oh- and "Camping Life" because my coworker and her stupid kid were hawking magazine subscriptions so she could take a feild trip somewhere so I picked "camping life". Its awful.

Comments

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I only have a subscription to one; Rue Morgue, and I really enjoy it, even though it is kind of expensive.

I've never heard of that... what's it like/what do you like about it?

I don't subscribe to anything, but I get cd's from the library so I always check GQ, Men's Health, & Esquire

I work for a university, so I access to Consumer Reports online... that's pretty nice.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    wax poetics
    vice
    saveur
    art culinaire

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    wax poetics
    vice
    saveur
    art culinaire

You sound cultured.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

and

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    and

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    wax poetics
    vice
    saveur
    art culinaire

You sound cultured.

i like to cook......not so cultured

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Goofus & Gallant get me through the day.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Signed up for a free year long subscription to Blender...

Got my first issue, then the next day they announced they were shutting down.

Which was ok with me, the magazine blew.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Complex, Dwell and ReadyMade.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    unless there's the possibility of me winning a plasma screen: I'm staying mum.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I used to subscribe to Wax poetics, but started getting bored of them, because I couldn't hear half the shit they're talking about.

- spidey

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I bought a subscription to the Smithsonian mag on ebay in 2005 and the seller gave me free subscriptions to Maxim and Black Enterprise as a bonus. I didn't really want either of them, and now I'm still getting them years after my Smithsonian subscription expired.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I used to subscribe to Wax poetics, but started getting bored of them, because I couldn't hear half the shit they're talking about.

???? You could say the same thing about Soul Strut. (Real Headz notwithstanding)

I'm sorry, but that's what magazines like Wax Poetics, Mojo, etc. are for, to hip you to overlooked or unknown sounds. complaining that you "can't hear" these things is kinda trifling

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    The Tasting Panel

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    My mom bought me a subscription to SMITHSONIAN shortly after I moved across the country 6 months ago. Not sure why.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

I get the last two as a gift(yearly subscription)every year for Christmas--really a great gift idea.

Real Simple is one of the things I love forward to every month.

I sound so domestic...eeeesh.

• i get this too but the UK version. Its a great periodical for keeping me up to date with political events worldwide.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

i get this too but the UK version. Its a great periodical for keeping me up to date with political events worldwide.

Hell yeah, mega cosign.

Keep it next to the shitter and in 3 visits your pretty much up to date on everything. Highly recommended.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    At times over the years I've subscribed to Newsweek, Time, Sports Illustrated, and Wax Poetics. These days, it's just Taint, Twasn't, Tweren't, and Neither Dick Nor Ass Quarterly.

• Wax Po
    Tape Op
    Mix
    Keyboard
    Remix (r.i.p)
    Sound on Stage
    EQ

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Love Cooks Illustrated. Also get Food & Wine, the obligatory New Yorker, National Geographic. I get daily e-mails from the meat mag Meating Place and also a weekly subscription at work to Feed Stuff, and thumb through Portfolio and Economist here as well. Food and business is what's really.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Didn't we have this discussion before, and wasn't it where someone posited that people who didn't live in New York had no use for the New Yorker?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    right now the only thing I get is the Nation because my parents bought me a subscription as a gift years ago and renew every time they're mailed a solicitation. in other words, although i've told them the situation, they have me paid in full through, like, 2023.

I've subscribed to all of these in the past and hope to renew when the $$ situation looks up:
    Wax Po
    Wire
    Film Comment
    Cineaste
    Signal to Noise
    Cinemascope

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I said that I had never picked up the new yorker because i do not live in new york and thus I was not interested in a magazine about new york.

the very next day i went to the doctor and lo, there was a new yorker in the waiting room.

i perused.
    as it turns out, the magazine wasn't all about new york.

feel better?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    had a subscription to this for 6 months never renewed or copped another one

• chasechase 767 Posts
    Tape Op (free)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    At Work:

At Home:

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    Wax Poetics

Vapors

Juxtapoz