Record spots in Alabama

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone one kn ow of any record spots near Birmingham or Tuscalusa (sp?) Alabama...I was listening to this real good soul station in Birmingham I know there was to be some good records here.

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    There's some record station near downtown Birmingham that I went to five years ago that was pretty good. Reasonable, but not cheap, prices. Decent selection of soul and jazz records. Don't remember the name of it, but it was upstairs somewhere downtownish...not too far from UAB campus.

Have fun. Dreamland Barbecue.

• I think there's only two recordshops in Birmingham. They're one block from each other. One is called something with "C" and the other is called Renaiscance. They're both located in the 5 Points district just off 20th Street. There's a good restaurant across Renasicance called Chez Fon Fon or something like that.

Peace,

Dress

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    thanks guys I will see whats going on with these two spots

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    If you see 45s on the Heat label, pick then up.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think there's only two recordshops in Birmingham. They're one block from each other. One is called something with "C"

Sounds like you're thinking of Charlemagne. The last time I was there was 12 years ago, but I do remember scoring some vinyl while I was out that way. Good to see they're still around, they seemed like nice folks.

• Could be... One of the two is on the second floor. Didnt really find anything there but I had a nice score at the other one though.

Peace,

Dress

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I think there's only two recordshops in Birmingham. They're one block from each other. One is called something with "C"

Sounds like you're thinking of Charlemagne. The last time I was there was 12 years ago, but I do remember scoring some vinyl while I was out that way. Good to see they're still around, they seemed like nice folks.

Charlemagne was the joint I was thinking of. It's on the second floor. And it was still around in September 2004.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Charlemagne was the joint I was thinking of. It's on the second floor. And it was still around in September 2004.

Charlemange was still there in 2007. nice people nice place, heat is not really cheap - if they have it - but its still a fun place to shop. lotsa stuff to go thru.

whats the other one called? i was a block from it and wasnt aware of it???

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Charlemange was still there in 2007. nice people nice place, heat is not really cheap - if they have it - but its still a fun place to shop. lotsa stuff to go thru.

Did they still have the free box of reject records by the door?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Did they still have the free box of reject records by the door?

yes but i couldnt find even one i wanted. maybe it was just a weak batch.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Glad to hear they were still around. As you said, nice people, nice place. I thought the prices on most stuff was pretty fair, and it was clear to me that the dude behind the counter was interested in keeping his prices fair. He asked me where I was from, and when I was buying a stack of stuff, he asked what kinds of prices I would see in Chicago on these records. His prices were in the Chicago range -- sometimes on the low end (clean Coltrane for $10), others on the middle end (NM Otis Redding for $18), almost never on the high end and never what I would characterize as cheap. But the condition was generally pretty good.

Don't know about that other shop nearby. Too bad.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Thanks for letting me know about Charlemange....stopped by there yesterday