Peru.

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
So I'm starting to plan out a big trip through Argentina, Chile and Peru on my way back to the US in July and am curious about any strutters experiences in Peru. I've got (smoking hot) connections in Buenos Aires and friends who have spent lots of time in Chile, but no one in Peru and am not knowing much about where to go other than the typical travelers guide resources which I hate. All I know is that I'm gonna avoid speaking any English (got enough Portunol to get by) and claiming Brasilian nationality - not a fun country to be from the US in, from what I've heard.Anyone have some travel tips? Record stores/dealers to hit up? Peru is my favorite country in South America for rock/psych, lotta great records that I'd pay well for. If anyone has a friend down there to sell me a clean Los Pajaros...

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I agree, Peruvian Rock rules. One of the best scenes in the world mid 60's - early 70's

A friend was in Peru last year and said the record scene was grim. virtually no stores and even the flea markets barely had records. He had a connection through a friend but he said if it wasn't for that he wouldn't have found anything.

Apparently there used to be a big flea market in Lima, but the city took the land for development and most of the flea market people dumped their records. Sorry to not have better news but that's the most recent report I've heard.

Anything you're looking for in particular? I collect Peruvian rock also and have most of the cool stuff (except for the mighty Tarkus) and have some dupes. I did a radio show on EVR playing just Peruvian Rock for two hours a couple weeks ago on my show Academy Radio, you can check the playlist to see if I have anything you need.

Good Luck!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I got you on this check thy PMs

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Thanks for the tips both of you, great advice, pcmr I forgot that you were working out there too.

I mean yeah at this point I wouldn't expect to roll up to a spot and load up like 12 copies of Telegraph Ave. (well...another strutter already did this years back)...sure there's still good stuff though.

Horseleech I will definately check out the show and be in touch. b/w - glad to have you on the board...got a lotta knowledge and I will definitely be coming through the store in the fall around WFMU time.