• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Pirates are passe

these Somalians need to get with the times

all that 'Arrr! Capt Morgan bs

so 2006

btw: doesn't Ghostface rap about Somailians on Ironman? pretty sure he does

Kurious: "Keep your tits, cause them shits is from SOMALIA!!!"

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Does anyone else think it awesome that it's 2009 and we are having PIRATE problems??

NO. I'm so sick of all the pirate shit that when we actually had a pirate news story I was like "Jesus, not more pirate shit". Even though this time it was real I still felt like "Enough with the f*cking pirates already".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I went to pirate birthday party a few weeks ago.

It was for a 4 year old.

His parents are pirates (in their pretend world) and it was mostly adults at the party and many of them were pirates also.

Their bathroom has skull and cross bones shower curtain and towels, there are fake chains and treasure chests all over the house.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Interesting topic.
    I read that there are still more than a dozen ships with a total of over 200 crew in the hands of Somalian pirates at this point in time. It would be interesting to get a full list of all those ships along with the reasons of every single one to e there in the first place. I wonder why you can't find this sort of information anywhere.

Not an oil tanker!
    How dare they!
    Food and products destined for Africa ok.
    Lay off our oil!

If "motivated Somalis" or terrorists hijacked an oil tanker and were able to crash it into the port of a major city, detonating some modest explosive devices to set it off, estimates of the death toll have ranged (from what I've heard) to run from 50,000 to 2 million people.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    speed 2 related?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Same principle as using a plane as a bomb, only with significantly more accelerant.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Same principle as using a plane as a bomb, only with significantly more oomph

But still a totally ridiculous concept. You'd cause more damage with a slow leak off a tourist beach.

• Same principle as using a plane as a bomb, only with significantly more oomph

But still a totally ridiculous concept. You'd cause more damage with a slow leak off a tourist beach.

Well, if pirates were able to highjack a supertanker in a high-traffic shipping area and kidnap or kill the hostages then there could be a potential disaster from the ship not being navigated properly. In some of these high-traffic shipping areas like the Strait of Malacca (between Malaysia and Singapore)where most of the products shipped around the world (oil from the middle east, goods from China, etc. etc.)these huge vessels run REALLY close to each other. Let's say that another boat hits a hijacked supertanker in the Malaccan Strait and it clogs up the lanes so that other ships can't pass through. Most everything that is shipped around the world passes through this Strait at some point and if that Strait were to be closed to ships then most economies would be impacted negatively. There's all sorts of scenarios that could arise but the issue of piracy and international shipping is one that could play a significant role in shaping international current affairs.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Their bathroom has skull and cross bones shower curtain and towels, there are fake chains and treasure chests all over the house.

Wait, hold up. These people dress like pirates all the time? Or did they just go really overboard (pun intended) for their child's birthday?

Wait, hold up. These people dress like pirates all the time? Or did they just go really overboard (pun intended) for their child's birthday?

All the time.

They spend their leisure time pretending to be pirates.
    They go away to pirate weekends, where they buy pirate stuff with pirate money.
    They belong to "ships" and they pillage other ships that other pirates belong to.
    At night there is much ravishing of the women.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    they sound like a bunch of butt pirates to me.

The dangers of ships (large or small) or shipping containers, being used by terrorists is very real.

But if you think of a super tanker, and the movie Speed, it's kind of funny.
    "There's a super tanker full of crude and packed for explosives heading straight for New York Harbor!"
    "When will it get here?"
    "About two and a half days if they don't hit any rough seas."

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I shouldn't find that funny...but I do.