eddie bo question - HELP

willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
In 1970, was Check Your Bucket Eddie's first internationally distributed record?was there really no other internationally released records from Eddie before then? what about the stuff that got picked up by Capitol? (Lover & A Friend, etc.)I'm fact-checking right now. Lookin at you F16, Pickwick, and Manny

Comments

• In 1970, was Check Your Bucket Eddie's first internationally distributed record?

was there really no other internationally released records from Eddie before then? what about the stuff that got picked up by Capitol? (Lover & A Friend, etc.)

I'm fact-checking right now. Lookin at you F16, Pickwick, and Manny

Probably the first under his own name, but 'Funky Yeah' by Curly Moore & the Kool Ones was released in the UK on Pye. The Action issue of 'Bucket' wasn't until 1973, so 'Funky Yeah' was probably first. According to Martin Lawrie's SoulGeneration site there was also a 1970 issue of 'Pass the Hatchet' in South America on London.

• As far as Bo stuff that was picked up by Capitol (Eddie, Eddie/Inez, Bobby Williams) and Atlantic (Candy Phillips) , I've never seen any international versions.

• There's also this...

but some hardcore Jamaican head will have to come up with a Grimm Ben discography to date it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    damn - that label rules!!

• damn - that label rules!!

Check this site!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    damn - that label rules!!

• In 1970, was Check Your Bucket Eddie's first internationally distributed record?

was there really no other internationally released records from Eddie before then? what about the stuff that got picked up by Capitol? (Lover & A Friend, etc.)

I'm fact-checking right now. Lookin at you F16, Pickwick, and Manny

What about the one the south american pressing of one of his early R&B joints?
    The name escapes me rat now, I'll go look through the boxes and see what I can find, I dunno if I have that still/ever did.

• What about the one the south american pressing of one of his early R&B joints?
    The name escapes me rat now, I'll go look through the boxes and see what I can find, I dunno if I have that still/ever did.

Already mentioned above.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

What about the one the south american pressing of one of his early R&B joints?

Already mentioned above.

Right, that's the London version of Roger & Gypsies "Paseme El Hatcha" (love that)

This made it confusing because it was also released in 1970, so depending on which month it could have actually been the first "Eddie Bo" release to make it out of the country. Thanks for the help F16. Decided to stick with the claim that Check Your Bucket was the first internationally released EB record, since Roger wasn't really a Bo release

• There's also this...

but some hardcore Jamaican head will have to come up with a Grimm Ben discography to date it.

that is a fresh label

• What about the one the south american pressing of one of his early R&B joints?

Already mentioned above.

no, not that. Is Hachete R&B?

its a white label w/ red logo/writing, I've been out all day so I havent had time to look.

Iemme get back to you...

• my bad, its chile.

This one

Originally on RIC 977, (1961??) who knows when this got pressed up.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yep, that's probably the first, there's also a canadian press on Reo of that on ebay at the moment too. As for even earlier Bo involvement, I have a New Zealand press of Robert Parker's "All Nite Long" from 1959.

• yep, that's probably the first, there's also a canadian press on Reo of that on ebay at the moment too. As for even earlier Bo involvement, I have a New Zealand press of Robert Parker's "All Nite Long" from 1959.

DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner!

Is it a press from 1959 or just the track?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yep, that's probably the first, there's also a canadian press on Reo of that on ebay at the moment too. As for even earlier Bo involvement, I have a New Zealand press of Robert Parker's "All Nite Long" from 1959.

DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner!

Is it a press from 1959 or just the track?
    It is a press from 1959, same time "All Nite Long" was a "hit".