Personal Trainer (Follow Up...)

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I believe it was O-Dub who started this thread early in the year. And, since that time, I redeemed a gift certificate for 3 personal training sessions...And, I can't recommend it highly enough.Look, this is not going to be me going in to train with someone every time I hit the gym. But, for someone who had started to DREAD going to the gym out of boredom, this was great. In those three sessions, we worked out a 3-times weekly weight lifting regimin, designed to be done in 30 minutes.THAT IS THE KEY. A trainer can help you design something that can fit your life. I told them what I was looking for, what my goals were, and what I HAD TIME FOR. Now, I have a three day rotation, and I've made a follow-up appointment to add new exercises to my routine.Add to it that I've been doing twice weekly spin-classes, and I finally feel like I'm using my gym like it should be used...In the end, of course, it all comes down to what I put in, there is no doubt. But, a few training sessions can help maximize your time and effort. Let's be honest- these people have expertise that I don't have, and for the time I've saved at the gym, it's worth the money spent.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Good for you man.

They are expensive though, once you learn to lift correctly, you probably wont need to go again until you reach your first plateau. Out of curiosity, what are your goals?

• Yeah, they AREN'T cheap, and I never would have gone if I hadn't gotten the gift certificate. Now that I'm looking at paying, it's gonna be different.

I'm opting for the occasional $40/30 minutes to learn some new things, and repeat three months later.

As for my goals, usual lose weigh, and lower blood pressure. Long term, I'm trying to learn how to (and, this is KEY with the trainer) how to incorporate this stuff into my life in the fall, when I work seven days a week and have no time to work out.

Every spring, I get in shape; every fall, when work gets busy, I get out of shape. So, I'm just trying to learn how to live better year round.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Trainers don't work for everyone. I heard Saba's wife has had a tennis trainer named Fabrizio for 3 years but she still serves underarm.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Totally worth it for me even though I only did about four sessions but that was enough to get me familiar with what options I might want to try when I hit the gym. I feel more informed and that, more than anything, makes me like working out more (though the last few weeks, it's been thin b/c of work. Doh)

I did the intro sessions too and they were helpful. Particularly if you feel intimidated just walking into the weight room.

I got in shape this year too, and while I have a little ways to go, Ive lost almost 100 pounds so far. I love the gym.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Joe Weider, he's put out a bunch a books like the one below. I highly recommend them.

• As far as weightlifting books go, check out "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Lots of excellent, very useful advice.

As far as weightlifting books go, check out "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Lots of excellent, very useful advice.

Indeed SS is the bible. you can probably rapidshare it also.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    word up to that coach rip book

the stronglifts.com program is badass too

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    ...Ive lost almost 100 pounds so far. I love the gym.