movie/tv clips on your mix cds- cool edit related

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
i want to add movie/tv clips over the instrumental portions of a mix using cool edit. how do i synch them together so it sounds right? i am guessing that one way is to use the time-stretch function and then copy and paste it right on top of the instrumental. if the movie clip is (let's say) 15 seconds long, how much leeway will the time-stretch give me??

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Just use your ears. If it sounds good it sounds good. No idea about pitch shifting in cool edit. Chop phrases/parts you like and then rearange them so they fit the song better.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Are you saying that you want the clips to come in "on beat" and stay that way for a few bars like a rapper would? Or are you just saying you want the clip to fit in the 15 seconds alloted for it? If it's the former then you will have to chop the clip up into one bar phrases and drop 'em in on the one. If the latter then just edit the clip down to 15 sec. or let it hang over into the next track. Basically use your ears, I think time stretch and all that shit is unnessicary for this, I always use tons of clips in my mixes and have never had to time stretch or anything.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    i want to add movie/tv clips over the instrumental portions of a mix using cool edit. how do i synch them together so it sounds right? i am guessing that one way is to use the time-stretch function and then copy and paste it right on top of the instrumental.

if the movie clip is (let's say) 15 seconds long, how much leeway will the time-stretch give me??

If time is a consideration, you'll probably don't want to use any stretching, leave the soundbite as is. If the movie clip is 15 seconds, use it within a beat interval that is 19, or 16 bars or however you structure your beats. Let's take that example, a 15 second soundbyte in a 19 second beat interval. You can start it in a number of places, it just has to feel right for you, and of course sound good in terms of levels. You still want the beat and music there, without the movie sample dominating too much.

To be honest, it's like any piece of sound. There is no right or wrong way, because maybe you have a spoken part that's 16 seconds, and an explosion that lasts 30 seconds. You can edit it where the spoken part remains as is, but the explosion fades, or you do pitch shift, or whatever.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    This is my own opinion, but I wouldn't bother screwing around with time-stretching. It ruins the original sound of whatever audio you are stretching. Any thing that has been time-stretched sounds time-stretched.

I'd only use pitch adjustment, and if you have to use that to the extent it sounds rediculous, either dont use it or manually space out each word slightly.