Dual CD Deck Advice

vinylstalkervinylstalker 397 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
So, I work a contract job at the local city park theatre, running sound.The majority of the jobs are dance company recitals and competitions.This requires playing a single song on a cd for 2-3 minutes, and having thenext ready to go after about 10 sec.The theatre has a NUMARK "CD MIX1" dual deck deal. After starting to fusk up after 2-3 months of no problems, it has prettymuch died.SO.The theatre has given me a $600 budget to replace it.Suggestions?The Numark was just to crappy to keep up. I need to step to a better brand.REQUIREMENTS: Hasta play MP3s. Must be a dual deck. The looping functioncomes in handy at the job, so I need that function. Balanced outs.As a DJ, I'm strictly wax, so I don't know diddly about cd decks.Help Me Out!Thanks.

Comments

• Gotta get this ordered by Wendsday.

Nobody?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think those crappy Numarks 2-in-1s are about all there is. If you want you can get 2 crappy Numark single CD decks and a crappy Numark mixer for your budget.... but you are probably better off getting the crappy CD Mix shit. If you get a new one it will last at least 2 years so it can be someone else's problem.

• *Sigh*

Yeah. I was looking at some online stores and the Numark
    does seem to be the only thing in my price range.

Unfortunately, the one that died at the theatre was only
    3 months old, so I doubt we will get 2 years out of it.

Quick--
    Wich is the superior crappy brand?
    Gemini or Numark?
    Who has a better build quality?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    The "must be a dual deck" requirement is your problem. Most of the good CDJs out there are single decks.

If you can get past this, you might look into getting some used Pioneer CDJ-100s. They're in your price range and get the job done with no frills.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Oh sorry, I forgot you said it had to play MP3s. In that case you'd want to step up to the CDJ-200. It's a little more dough but I think you could still cop two for around 600 used.

Another option in that price range would be the Denon DNS-1000.

Good luck

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    denon makes a nice series of dual deck. probably the best. the 2600f used to be a club standard before the cdjs. you can find one second hand for a couple hundred. or the newer model http://www.yoursoundsource.com/denon-dnd4500.html

• Gooch, Thanls. Gonna try to find a used denon in time.

Zen2, Yeah, it kinda hasta be a dual deck. Space is an issue,
    and a single deck just isn't fast enough for the dance recitals.

Shit, If I ran microwave I'd just run them jernts from the TTs.