Arthur Verocai to be repressed (again)

georgeibrahimgeorgeibrahim 676 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
after the arthur verocai concert in LA is seems that luv n haight are going to do a rerun of the verocai reissue. does anyone know the numbers for this one as they said that it would be a limited rerun but how "limited" is it gonna be? and will they re-record it to clear up some of the sound quality issues people have complained about? limited or not its

Comments

• will they re-record it to clear up some of the sound quality issues people have complained about? limited or not its
    I really hope so.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah they really need to remaster this properly.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    One problem is that the original is a poor pressing and I understand the master tape is long gone. My OG has some serious issues as you get closer to the end of each side, it sounds like the cutting head was not calibrated properly.

Regrettably, most Continental pressings from that time truly suck. Still, I hope they can do better this time.

Yeah I mean it's a shit pressing to begin with but after seeing how they cleaned up Ofege "Try and Love" I'm convinced that remasters straight from the was can work if done by the right person. The tough part is that you probably need a few copies to really do it right due to the pressing inconsistencies, so you'd have to coordinate with a few folks who have copies.

• yeah the multiple copies idea would be what i thought be the best way to remaster this considering the master tapes are gone. but that said, i personally do not have a big problem with the sound quality of the reissue, ive heard better (e.g. recent forca bruta 180g reish- sounds better than the OG IMO) but for me its the reissue or not having it at all and i'd assume it would be like that for many people due to the rarity of the OG. I've got an sound engineer friend out in Rio that would know all about this kinda thing so i'll ask him about it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Horseleech might know better, but I think it's hard to compare to Ofege - that was pressed on EMI, and I'd imagine the production values to be much higher than on the Verocai LP. A clean copy should sound fairly good.

I'd be happy to hook them with Tim Warren, who did the Ofege for me, if they want.

It's truly a wonderful time to be alive, when mastering from vinyl can sound so good.

• to be honest i personally doubt whether they'll remaster this at all, they'd probably just do the exact same reissue as they did before to grab at the potential $$ that's around due to the buzz around Verocai's music and the fact that a sealed copy of the reissue recently sold on ebay for $80.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    to be honest i personally doubt whether they'll remaster this at all, they'd probably just do the exact same reissue as they did before to grab at the potential $$ that's around due to the buzz around Verocai's music and the fact that a sealed copy of the reissue recently sold on ebay for $80.

then you don't know McFadin and Jervis

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Why didn't they get it right the first time? Can their ears be trusted this time to give the final go ahead?

If they remaster it, they should post the tracks to the Strut before pressing it up.

• Stop yr bitching - why on earth would they want to do the exact same reissue audio-wise when DjFerrari's rip from his OG already sounded way better? The dudes behind Ubiquity are legit and music-loving dudes.. i suspect they are gonna try and improve on the sound, as their mission has always been to bring Quality product.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Stop yr bitching - why on earth would they want to do the exact same reissue audio-wise when DjFerrari's rip from his OG already sounded way better? The dudes behind Ubiquity are legit and music-loving dudes.. i suspect they are gonna try and improve on the sound, as their mission has always been to bring Quality product.

Yeah, a clean OG sounds real good

I hope they do it proper and I really hope Verocai himself sees some dough out of it.

• i hope they do it proper and i really hope Verocai himself sees some dough out of it
    on both points.
    Ubiquity know how to do these things properly too, that har you percussion group was reissued from recording of the OG lp and it sounds fine so the problem must lie with the original source material for their 1st press of the verocai being in poor condition, hopefully that's sorted for this time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I thought the issue wasn't so much the source material as it was the mastering? Didn't the Ubiquity repress lack much of the stereo panning that was a big part of Verocai's original?

Yes the original pressing and mastering is the problem. The difference is that the tools out there to work on these issues are much more advanced now than when the first reissue was released - in the right hands, I really think this is a worthwhile project.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm sure they're nice guys and all, but from a business standpoint it just doesn't make much sense for them to invest in remastering for a tiny repress of an old title.

• but from a business standpoint it just doesn't make much sense for them to invest in remastering for a tiny repress of an old title.

This is kinda my point when i say i doubt they'll remaster it since they said they'd do a "limited" vinyl run of the reissue. they're likely to have the links to do the remastering but the financial return selling the reish at $16 a go with maybe 1000 made probably wouldnt be enough to cover the costs of remastering and repressing and make it worth their while. But it really does depend on how "limited" the vinyl run is going to be.

You can get a top quality from-vinyl remastering for about a grand. Add $1.00 per Lp and put a "NEWLY REMASTERED" sticker on it. Done deal.

• the repress is now available in the ubiquity online store, they didn't get back to me when i asked them whether it was remastered or not but i doubt it was, anyone copped one that can tell?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    the repress is now available in the ubiquity online store, they didn't get back to me when i asked them whether it was remastered or not but i doubt it was, anyone copped one that can tell?

most definitely just a repress from the original reissue

• damn...was kinda hoping that they would remaster it but i had a massive hunch that they wouldn't

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It makes sense that they wouldn't remaster it since they were obviously satisfied enough with the first version to release it. Remastering it would, in a way, be admitting to a significant misstep.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    so you'd have to coordinate with a few folks who have copies.

"Hi please send me your Arthur Verocai LP to Los Angeles, I need to "re-master it"

"Sure man , no problem!"

(unlikely exchange)

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Hopefully the Japanese get on this in the future.

• I hope they didn't get the rights to this just so they can sue MF Doom for using this on his new album. RHKTD

so you'd have to coordinate with a few folks who have copies.

"Hi please send me your Arthur Verocai LP to Los Angeles, I need to "re-master it"

"Sure man , no problem!"

(unlikely exchange)

Ha... very unlikely!

I hope they didn't get the rights to this just so they can sue MF Doom for using this on his new album. RHKTD

Yeah that was a pretty foul move what they had pulled before. Though I don't give a F*ck who sues MF Doom at this point.

• on the other hand with luv n haight having the rights to the album, it might make it easier to clear samples so why didnt he just get the sample cleared through them and get verocai the appreciation and money he deserves. thats just my opinion, i dont know shit about the production game really.

I hope they didn't get the rights to this just so they can sue MF Doom for using this on his new album. RHKTD

What's the backstory on this? (not a RH)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah that was a pretty foul move what they had pulled before.

villain style