world's most expensive 45...

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Looks like we're gonna have a new winner... 27 days to go till end of auction.>>>BUNUS

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    good god.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Let's have a final price guessing game.

I'll top out at ??32,000

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Thinking something along the same lines...maybe even a bit more because of the 50th bday/manship magic.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Let's have a final price guessing game.

I'll top out at ??32,000

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Rare_Frank_Wilson_45_could_fetch_100000/

I'm thinking Manships guesstimate is probably right, both price-wise and with it coming down to 3 bidders.

I know who I've got my money on.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

does he happen to live in NYC?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

does he happen to live in NYC?

He'll be having some stiff competition for this one, that's for sure. On the other hand his winning streak does look impressive...

AIG bonus what what!!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Didn't this sell for $25,000 years ago?

$35,000 sounds about right, FW is recession-proof.

• Just listened to it on the auction page. I will admit: that is one sweet-ass soul song.

Not $35k sweet, though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Not $35k sweet, though.

what I thought too....

since when has the quality of the music determined what a raer sells for?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    sweet jesus thats a lot of money

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    dang it! I keep forgetting I don't understand the game!

I'll fall back now

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Looks like we're gonna have a new winner... 27 days to go till end of auction.

>>>BUNUS

I always thought this was the most expensive 45, or at least northern soul 45. Was there one that sold for more than 15,000 pounds? That's how much this same copy was purchased for years ago.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows what 45(s) in any genre has sold for more than 15,000 pounds?

• Looks like we're gonna have a new winner... 27 days to go till end of auction.

>>>BUNUS

I always thought this was the most expensive 45, or at least northern soul 45. Was there one that sold for more than 15,000 pounds? That's how much this same copy was purchased for years ago.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows what 45(s) in any genre has sold for more than 15,000 pounds?

Stack O Lee Blues (78)
    the Five Sharps (78)

I cant think of a bigger 45.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Anyone got an MP3

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Stack O Lee Blues (78)
    the Five Sharps (78)

Junior McCants on King went for $15,000 a few months back.

There's gonna be a lot more bidding yet, and Manships guesstimate of $100,000 might be spot on.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I'm just annoyed because also being auctioned one record up from FW is my #1 soul want. All this unneeded exposure is going to kill my chances of ever finding one for an OK price.

• Stack O Lee Blues (78)
    the Five Sharps (78)

Junior McCants on King went for $15,000 a few months back.

There's gonna be a lot more bidding yet, and Manships guesstimate of $100,000 might be spot on.

yeah, forgot that.

Sex pistols "god save the queen" 7" has hit close to 13k British Sterling

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    since when has the quality of the music determined what a raer sells for?

Especially since it probably sounds "like some weak-ass poor man's Smokey Robinson with an ass load of strings."

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    damn, and 26 days to go....

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    True ballers woould never click here....

• That is a great song... Seriously, that could be a LOT worse, knowing the sort of things that qualify as 'goodraer,' in the Northern Soul scene, this is actually worth whatever it gets.

• If I were Howard Hughes I wouldn't spend 15K on a 45...

b/w

That said, this is a great f*cking record, and practically a textbook example of classic Northern Soul. Great tune, storming arrangement and vocal by Wilson.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    What's the deal with this record? Promo only? Handful of known copies? I seem to remember some nonsense about the song being released after being found in a Motown tape vault by a Northern guy. Who knows the real deal?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    What's the deal with this record? Promo only? Handful of known copies? I seem to remember some nonsense about the song being released after being found in a Motown tape vault by a Northern guy. Who knows the real deal?

Three known (non-promo) copies: 2 of them owned by Northern dudes, third copy is Berry Gordy's.

Production stopped immediately by Berry because he wanted Frank to remain a producer, and not an artist. All copies immediately destroyed at the plant, except Motown kept a couple for the archives. One is in Berry's private vault at home, some Northern dude named Simon stole a copy when he was at Motown offices, broke and bootlegged the record onto the Northern scene, and someone else bought the other known copy from a Motown employee or something like that. Those two copies in the Northern scene floated around a couple of guys for serious cash, and then the guy now selling his copy had bought his a while back for like 15,000 pouinds or something, make the record even more famous.

BTW some people say Frank himself has offered $50,000 to the Northern guys to have a copy for himself. So you know he is bidding on this one.

• What's the deal with this record? Promo only? Handful of known copies? I seem to remember some nonsense about the song being released after being found in a Motown tape vault by a Northern guy. Who knows the real deal?

This is pulled from his Wikipedia entry, and is pretty much the story I always heard:

Wilson also tried his hand at being a recording artist himself, recording the single ???Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" for release on the Motown subsidiary label 'Soul.' Supposedly 250 demo 45s were pressed, but by that time Frank Wilson decided he would rather focus on producing and had the demos trashed. Somehow at least two known copies survived, one of which fetched ??15,000 (aprox. $28,000.00). Because of the scarcity of the original single and the high quality of the music (it was one of the most popular records in the Northern Soul movement), it has been championed as one of the rarest and most valuable records in history

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Another interesting tidbit. Apparently Motown had some team of lawyers and investigators a while back trying to get this record back into their vaults.

I don't know how plausible it is that they try to stop this auction, considering stature of limitations or whatever that is called.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Re-posted link from above -

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Rare_Frank_Wilson_45_could_fetch_100000/

• What's the deal with this record? Promo only? Handful of known copies? I seem to remember some nonsense about the song being released after being found in a Motown tape vault by a Northern guy. Who knows the real deal?

I love the bit about how some collectors believe the writing on the label might keep the price down - GTFOOHWTBS = "not feeling the elbows"....