The Net is outta control (Wolverine Bootleg)

MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
So I'm sure everyone knows by now that a great looking print of "WOLVERINE" made it's way on the internet today. Sadly this isn't an April fools joke, it's legit. How much do you think this will effect the box office #'s? Any predictions? Will this tank now, or will this bootleg pass over with little impact? I mean, it's a full 30 days before release and it doesn't have time codes or watermarks on it. WTF is going on! I'm not sure how certain industries can "adapt" to this as people put it.

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    its like 20 minutes shorter and its missing a lot of the backgrounds isnt it?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I don't know... That could be possible, but for the most part people will watch this and assume it's the final cut (if in fact it's not) simply as a result of the picture quality. I haven't watched the film yet, I just saw it playing in a local bootleg mall on a 42" and came home to find out what the deal was...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hi MoSS! The bootlegs are mos def out of control. Is this a Wolverine work print that someone from the production staff leaked?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    While it might hurt a bit, I don't think it's going to kill off ticket sales completely.

If the movie sucks that will hurt big time. News travels fast if it sucks.

But this idea of piracy is killing the movie industry is just not true.

2008 was a record year for movie sales for Hollywood.

I'll give you just one example.

The movie Taken.

There was a DVD rip online 6 months before the movie was released in North America. It was #1 opening weekend pretty much making back the films whole budget just in that first weekend in the US. I believe it went on being #1 for a few weeks. It's now grossed over $135 million.

Movies is a different beast compared to music IMO. People still want the movie theater "experience"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    While it might hurt a bit, I don't think it's going to kill off ticket sales completely.

The movie Taken.

There was a DVD rip online 6 months before the movie was released in North America. It was #1 opening weekend pretty much making back the films whole budget just in that first weekend in the US. I believe it went on being #1 for a few weeks. It's now grossed over $135 million.

Movies is a different beast compared to music IMO. People still want the movie theater "experience"

I just remember how 'American Gangster' was out what seemed like months before it was released to Theatres, but it was probably more like weeks. Did that impact it's numbers?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the majority of people still don't have the knowledge/fast connections to really get down with illegal downloads of movies. Average joe doesn't know what a torrent is. He may have heard the word, but he's not discussing swarms and peers at the water cooler.

nerds will be all over this. Nerds also make up a major part of this movie's target audience. I don't think it will matter though. If the E! channel or Entertainment Tonight start talking about an illegal bootleg of it than maybe it will catch on with regular people, but that's not going to happen.

it is pretty crazy how fast things go online now and there is no stopping it, but I think the average person is not really there yet.

I work at a library and the thing that I find surprising is that people ask for dvds of current movies. I'll be 30 in a few days, so I think I am of a generation that knows that movies play in theaters and then a few months later they come out on vhs/dvd. it used to be about a year later, but now it's months. Not everyone is asking me, but a lot of people come up and ask for movies that just opened that week. It always surprises me.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Hi MoSS! The bootlegs are mos def out of control. Is this a Wolverine work print that someone from the production staff leaked?

Whaddup CHAN!!! It's cleaner then a screener, so I assume someone took it off an editing computer. I know Starwars and Signs for example were taken from editing machine, but they still had the time code. This didn't have it

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    If the E! channel or Entertainment Tonight start talking about an illegal bootleg of it than maybe it will catch on with regular people, but that's not going to happen.

I agree. I have however seen MTV news and Entrainment Weekly already reporting about it, and they specifically say the boot is DVD quality.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

The movie Taken.

You need to build up a case and sell it to fools...make some quick $$... lmfao. I agree with you, but as you know fools up here need to prove this kind of thing. You'll be the king of Markham

the majority of people still don't have the knowledge/fast connections to really get down with illegal downloads of movies. Average joe doesn't know what a torrent is. He may have heard the word, but he's not discussing swarms and peers at the water cooler.

nerds will be all over this. Nerds also make up a major part of this movie's target audience. I don't think it will matter though. If the E! channel or Entertainment Tonight start talking about an illegal bootleg of it than maybe it will catch on with regular people, but that's not going to happen.

it is pretty crazy how fast things go online now and there is no stopping it, but I think the average person is not really there yet.

I work at a library and the thing that I find surprising is that people ask for dvds of current movies. I'll be 30 in a few days, so I think I am of a generation that knows that movies play in theaters and then a few months later they come out on vhs/dvd. it used to be about a year later, but now it's months. Not everyone is asking me, but a lot of people come up and ask for movies that just opened that week. It always surprises me.

Maybe most don't know how. Tho, nowadays it's just a click of a rapidshare link and presto.

Let alone, everyone knows how to hand over 5 bucks to buy a bootleg...

Being a bit of a tech nerd I've been grabbing films online for alonnnggg time. 2008 I probably went to the movies more than any year before that in my life.

There are bigger fish for the industry to worry about in my opinion.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

Maybe most don't know how. Tho, nowadays it's just a click of a rapidshare link and presto.

Let alone, everyone knows how to hand over 5 bucks to buy a bootleg...

you are forgetting that middle america goes to the mall and does not have a local bootleg dude. They also don't know what Rapidshare is.

I hear you that it's becoming something that kind of just falls in your lap, but it's not there yet. If it was available on Netflix then game over.

Microwave popcorn is cheap, but people still pay $8 for a bag at the theater. Imax exists too. People pay extra to see it on a big screen. They even pay on opening night and have to sit with hundreds of other people who kick your chair, text, and talk.

It probably has some effect on overall sales, but until going to the movies stops being an activity I don't think bootlegs are going to kill the industry.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    You guys actually have time to watch movies? More power to you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    All I can say: bad ass Liev Schreiber is very necessary.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this weekend is going to be a bootlegger's christmas,kind of like when american gangster leaked.as far as b.o., i don't think it will make a huge dent in the bottom line, nerd shit has become mainstream, and alot of 'mainstream' people want to see this movie.

You'll be the king of Markham

You stepping down?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

i second this. I don't even worry about movies online simply because it takes too long.

I'm sure whoever is tech savvy enough and/or interested enough to pick up a boot will do so. Just like they've probably done for all the other movies that have come out.

As far as boots cutting in, maybe a little, but as you've said, the suburban Best Buy crowd does not have a bootleg guy that stands outside Sam's Club nor makes the rounds to Mastercuts to sell his wares.

I agree the effect will be minimal.

The other thing to take into account is that of all of these bootleg buying or torrent downloading people, how many would've gone to see it in the movie theater anyway? I think a lot of people will watch shit just because it's there, not because they have a huge interest it in. They'll watch it if it's free, but they're not and never were going to drop $12 to go to the theater.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    it's the workprint alright but it's missing the final cgi affects guys. so if you have a great imagination download it and watch it butyou won't see his k****s come out of his hand.

so you'll see him putting up his hands in an actiony way without anything happening

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    This is great. I wish more workprints would make their way to the public. All the unfinished CG and blue-screen scenes made for a very surreal film. I recommend doing drugs to this.