Orlando Florida what's Good???

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Missing the Austin record show to go to Florida this weekend... I checked on line for spots but I've not had any luck in the past. I hope sombody could help me out on any good spots for records, bbq, pizza, and any dope shows going on and any legal spots to paint???... Obiwan Soulstruters your my only hopes!

Comments

• Florida is the worst state that I've ever been to.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Look up all the Jamaican one stops. I had some luck at a couple different ones over the years while visiting. There's a flea market I did well at but I can't remember names. The record stores there themselves left a lot to be desired. There was a nice place to buy reissues and CDs but I don't remember the name either.

Good luck man.

• Florida is the worst state that I've ever been to.

FLA and CT are locked in a death struggle for that title.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh. Uhhhh, I kinda love Florida. Super flea markets, amazing swimming in the Gulf, food so good I remember the meals like it was yesterday, the weird and wonderful world of South Beach Miami, the everglades!! I've had a lot of fun down there and for the record, I am not a retired senior citizen from Quebec. It's a strange mix of sleaze, the South, down-home and glamour - love it. Daytona can bite a fart though.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Florida is the worst state that I've ever been to.

FLA and CT are locked in a death struggle for that title.

Y'all need to fall back, cause you definitely haven't been to the right parts of Florida if thats how you feel.

In Orlando: Park Ave always has decent stuff, talk to Calvin.

You can hit the Flea Market on Colonial (aka 50) a couple miles west of I-4.

Other than that it's pretty much local heads info that I'm not gonna blow up, but holler at YNOT, cause he's still out there, so it's his spots.

There might be a record show going on, you should check as they go down pretty regularly at the fairgrounds (same place as the flea market).

As with most of Florida, hitting the thrifts will pay off.

Mad BBQ spots, but I couldn't tell you what to do with them.

Stardust is a great spot for lunch, and soaking up local people, it's also across the street from Park Ave.

If you're gonna have a whip and time then hit up the Nike Clearance center. There are a number of Nike outlets in Orlando, but there's only one clearance center (there's one other one in the US). They get crazy shit.

There are mad Indian restaurants. Woodlands is that bomb South Indian flavor, and Udipi is the bomb North Indian flavor.

Some of my homies have a pizza restaurant out by UCF called Lazy Moon. Good Pizza, and awesome beer selection.

Red Light Red Light is an incredible beer bar, but I'm not sure if it's still around.

Black Bean Deli has good Cuban food (Mills just north of Fairbanks).

On principle alone, you have to go to Skycraft.

Enzian is the dope indie movie theatre where they serve food during the movies.

For live music, check Stardust, Backbooth, and Social.

Also keep in mind that 'Orlando' denotes a huge area, so you could easily be close to one of the places i listed, and 45 minutes from another (the nike clearance center is way out though. I suggest eating at Udipi and then making the trek).

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    b/w

Daytona is definitely not where its at.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    and Calvin has the pick of the litter at his crib....

• As for record stores, I would say Rock n Roll Heaven. It is a bit overpriced and the selection can be ehhh. I had a lot more luck in the area thrift stores and flea markets when I lived in this god awful place.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    As for record stores, I would say Rock n Roll Heaven. It is a bit overpriced and the selection can be ehhh. I had a lot more luck in the area thrift stores and flea markets when I lived in this god awful place.

WHat was god awful about it?

b/w

what were you doing there? When were you there?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I ALWAYS find good records in Florida. I love the mid-week flea markets (you just don't get that in the northeast). Thrifts are everywhere and cheap. No $2 thrift store records down there.
    As far as BBQ goes Florida dissapoints, or a least has so far. There are loads of BBQ places, just not that many good ones. Being from Georgia and having spent a lot of time in the Carolinas I've found that the Florida joints just don't measure up. Someone please prove me wrong!

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Nev - stop bragging!!!

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    As far as recrods are concered the aformentioned spots are cool. Park Ave and Rock and Roll Heaven are taxing heavy on the prices. However Rock and Roll has a varitety of used records and occasionally one will slip through the filter. Park Ave is right down the street and has lots of new records amongst cds and toys. Otherwise your best bet is the flea markets and antiques. As far as BBQ is concered I'd highly recomened Bubbalus Bodacious Bbbq. I have no idea how It measures up with other spots but around here it's my favorite. Don't sleep. Co-sign everything Hemol wrotre in regards to the other spots. Also if you're looking to get up there is 3 abbandoned warehouses that are legal on central ave just west of downtown. I belive the addy is 630 W central. Feel free to get up just be respectful of what's already their a lot of legends are on the walls. I'm djing a sake lounge sat night, Sunday I play jazz records at a vegan brunch spot Ethos, and Sunday afternoon there is a C Rayz Walz show. Hit me on the pm if you need further details or got any questions. Be sure to bring your shorts the hummidity is starting to set in.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

you have obviously never been to Alabama...

I was prepared to hate on florida when I went on my first visit this past xmas...I actually liked it...records galore, great food, nice beaches (on the Atlantic side), always fun to peep million dollar yhacts close up, and some cute ladies...FL is A-OK.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Some of the worst and best places in the U.S. are in Florida.

Everything from white sand to white trash.

• As for record stores, I would say Rock n Roll Heaven. It is a bit overpriced and the selection can be ehhh. I had a lot more luck in the area thrift stores and flea markets when I lived in this god awful place.

WHat was god awful about it?

b/w

what were you doing there? When were you there?

To me Orlando is city built around a theme park. With a town that runs mostly off of tourism and conventions there is a very temporary vibe to it.

I was living there for a while doing the audio school thing at Full Sail. I moved from Orlando about five years ago but from what I hear things havn't changed much.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

For records? You're nuts. Amazing variety of people move through the state: jamaicans, NYC DJs coming down to retire, jazz collectors, hoarders of all types.

• toniotonio 22 Posts
    Florida is the worst state? I'm not even from here but the prices are cheap and the girls are fun! Seriously the worst? Get outta here with that nonsense...

Btw, thanks for he tips ya'll. I'm hitting the bins tomorrow.

• I've been living here for 6 years now and I like it. Sure there are things about it that piss me off but it's better than shitty old England!

Reading back on people's vibes from 3 years ago (quite random this thread was revived so suddenly), no things haven't changed much. But that's not always a bad thing, life's what you make of it etc. etc.

Always a party going on

Any YNOT's still here in the thick of it, big up ya chest sir