Is this foreal? (Sound Iso-Related)

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wouldn't argue that isolating any sound would be easier
    I just haven't seen a proof of concept in full
    hey A_SN, could you do a screen cast with the next example?
    from start to finish, narrate that shit too, thanks

And a cup of coffee and footrub would be nice too.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I wouldn't argue that isolating any sound would be easier
    I just haven't seen a proof of concept in full
    hey A_SN, could you do a screen cast with the next example?
    from start to finish, narrate that shit too, thanks

And a cup of coffee and footrub would be nice too.
    i dont think the technology to rub me down and pour my drank over the internet exists yet but I like where youre going with this odub.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Damn, it's bugged out watching strutters trying their damn hardest to shit on this dude's creation, and generally exert so much energy to tear down anything that is potentially good.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Damn, it's bugged out watching strutters trying their damn hardest to shit on this dude's creation, and generally exert so much energy to tear down anything that is potentially good.

Welcome to the Internet.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Welcome to the Internet.

Very true,

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I need to see/hear more examples to believe this.

• Damn, it's bugged out watching strutters trying their damn hardest to shit on this dude's creation, and generally exert so much energy to tear down anything that is potentially good.

Welcome to the Internet.

ZING!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    i think the idea is freakin awesome but i also am skeptical.

• Wow, awesome Salma moment.

yes soulstrut is 4/10ths shitting on people, but don't worry, now that you are a member those same people will go out of your way to kiss your ass. Been there.

You guys have the Phase thing a wee bit confused, so let me help clarify what it is you are trying to do.

There are two types of phase, stereo and the phase of single waveform. When you do the trick with a stereo track or with two speakers, you are nulling out the stereo signal and leaving only the things that were panned dead center in the mix. Which, can work on a track that was mixed in a very simple LCR way, but for the most part will not accomplish anything of interest.

Alternatively, any two waveforms can null eachother and leave the difference if they are time-aligned and one is flipped out of phase. So, if you have a stereo vocal track and a stereo instro track, I would kill one of the sides (remember we aren't dealing with stereo phase, but rather signal phase). Take both versions of the left side, for instance, and line them up so they are sample accurate (or if oyu ahve a time adjuster you can nudge them while they play). Flip thge phase of the instrumental. As they get closer they will comb, and when they are dead on, assuming they were bounced from exactly the same mix, the identical music parts from both mixes will null each other out and leave you only the vocal parts.

• also, i cursively looked at the program, is it multiplyingn the waveforms to light frequencies? if so, that is pretty bad ass. My hat's off to you sir.

• An instrumental of this song was released (bootleg) so it's not exactly crazy to assume that the master tapes are available to certain privileged folk. As to whether or not the song was multi-tracked is beyond my knowledge though. Let us know when you can isolate and guitar or bass riff as clean as this, that would be really impressive.

the funky worm release isnt a boot, the whole series are covers done legit...nothing coming from master tapes.

as.n can we give you songs to do ? ive got quite a list...

i would like for you to do:

gil scott heron/ the bottle...acca and inst.

and

idris muhammad/ could heaven ever be like this, and dump the vocals and horns.

• A_SNA_SN 9 Posts
    Just posted a new tutorial showing how to do it. See here http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1297512

Raw Hamburger : You can't do whole songs like that ;-) there are ways, but doing it like this by hand isn't one of them.

• Just posted a new tutorial showing how to do it. See here http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1297512

Raw Hamburger : You can't do whole songs like that ;-) there are ways, but doing it like this by hand isn't one of them.

i have no clue as to what the real process is, i just figured if you isolated the keys from funky worm, you can do the same for vocals/ sax/ or muting the vox out.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Just posted a new tutorial showing how to do it. See here http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1297512

i have no clue as to what the real process is, i just figured if you isolated the keys from funky worm, you can do the same for vocals/ sax/ or muting the vox out.

Yeah see this is what's getting me.
    The tutorial is great but I was hoping to see a different song processed.
    Taking a sine wave out of a drum/bass/guitar rhythm track seems relatively easy (don't get me wrong, I know the process is miraculous, I'm not trying to downplay that or the product at all), I'm just saying what about creating accapellas or instro's off of more complex tracks like Raw Hamburger suggested above?
    I'm guessing it would still be hard to impossible to visually distinguish a vocal or guitar chord or such.

I guess I should just shut up & try the demo huh?