Full shelves - problem with floor sag?

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Looking at Day's post about moving a full expedit, has anyone had any noticeable issues with floor sag in a room with full shelves of records?I have a very space inefficient set up of having a bunch of Rubbermaid shelves with 2 crates of records per shelf. It leaves a lot of wasted space. That worked when I had my records in a finished basement, but now I have them in a regular room. In addition to wasting space, it also looks ugly.My house is old as is and I already have floor sag issues in general. Has anyone else had any problems with having huge blocks of records (i.e. a 5x5 expedit or similar)? Seems like it would be an issue for anyone who isn't keeping their records on a concrete slab.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yes, do a search for my recent thread on how much records weigh. any house that is wood will give you grief if you have a big collection in a room, especially if it is on the 2nd floor up. it helps to keep the shelves along the walls but there are definite limits as to how much weight your room will hold. We had a builder come & do the calculations/measurements for us & I have had to downsize the collection quite a bit the last couple of months.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Looking at Day's post about moving a full expedit, has anyone had any noticeable issues with floor sag in a room with full shelves of records?

I have a very space inefficient set up of having a bunch of Rubbermaid shelves with 2 crates of records per shelf. It leaves a lot of wasted space. That worked when I had my records in a finished basement, but now I have them in a regular room. In addition to wasting space, it also looks ugly.

My house is old as is and I already have floor sag issues in general. Has anyone else had any problems with having huge blocks of records (i.e. a 5x5 expedit or similar)? Seems like it would be an issue for anyone who isn't keeping their records on a concrete slab.

You could double up the floor joists from below under that section of the floor, or add a girder with beam/column, or add a curtain wall from underneath -
    sincerly,
    your local building inspector.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Looking at Day's post about moving a full expedit, has anyone had any noticeable issues with floor sag in a room with full shelves of records?

I have a very space inefficient set up of having a bunch of Rubbermaid shelves with 2 crates of records per shelf. It leaves a lot of wasted space. That worked when I had my records in a finished basement, but now I have them in a regular room. In addition to wasting space, it also looks ugly.

My house is old as is and I already have floor sag issues in general. Has anyone else had any problems with having huge blocks of records (i.e. a 5x5 expedit or similar)? Seems like it would be an issue for anyone who isn't keeping their records on a concrete slab.

You could double up the floor joists from below under that section of the floor, or add a girder with beam/column, or add a curtain wall from underneath -
    sincerly,
    your local building inspector.
    a little harder to do to the 2nd storey, just sell some records
    Seriously, good advice though on the floor joists/girder/curtain wall though.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    We had a builder come & do the calculations/measurements for us & I have had to downsize the collection quite a bit the last couple of months.

He just wants your raers. This is a known tactic.

• casbahcasbah 57 Posts

Yikes, you are voicing my deepest fears. Moving day is approaching and when the removals guy came round last week he commented on my current set up and excessive loor loads, setting off a panic in me which currently revisits me every night.

We live in 100+ year old building, built entirely with wooden beams, second floor. 15000 LPs = don't wanna know how many tons. One room has floor-to-ceiling shelves on opposite walls, the rest is more evenly distributed throughout the apartment.

Everything looks fine, no sag, but I guess that doesn't mean much. The real dilemma, seeing as we're moving and the building is unlikely to crumble over the next few days, is with the new place.

Sixth floor of a sturdy, if old, building (at least this one was built using girders). I built a soundproof studio in one of the rooms, which involves a room within a room scenario, with all of the extra weight that this entails (double walls, ceiling, floor). My plan is to stick a large part of the collection in this room, hopefully with shelves covering the whole of the back wall. It would mean the rest of the apartment woulnd't be swamped with record shelves. The architect in charge of the project says it can easily take it.

Me, I'm scared.