Better Records

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
This Place Ever got a new record that sounded like wish when you played it?Might have been a bad press. Happens. So this guy takes that idea and says maybe there are a few record in every run that are exceptional presses.Dude goes and buys ever copy of Let's Dance he can find.Listens to them and determines that some are Hot Stampers $124.99 - $500.00, White Hot Stampers even more, or non Hot Stamper 24.99.He apparently has customers. What will your next ebay auction say?

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Hot stamper sounds like it should be in the same category as a crazy Sanchez.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Audiophiles. What can you say. They are in their own world. I guess I'm the same way because I like hot 12" presses. But, maybe not.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hot stamper sounds like it should be in the same category as a crazy Sanchez.

You mean Dirty Sanchez?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I like the hot stamper image
    -----

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What kind of man-hours go into this schitt? Could he actually be taking a loss when all is said and done, even though the prices are high?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    What kind of man-hours go into this schitt? Could he actually be taking a loss when all is said and done, even though the prices are high?

On his site, he says he listens to every pressing to make sure it's the right one, and when it is deemed right, that's it. Hot stamper. Or as he indicates on his site:

To my knowledge, I am the only guy on the planet selling records who knows much about the subject. In fact, I pioneered the very concept, starting about fifteen years ago. Back in the early '90s I complained that the TAS Super Disc List didn't list the "correct" stampers: the individual markings associated with the actual pressing HP was awarding the status of Superdisc, and therefore almost any pressing one would acquire would be different from the one on the list, and probably inferior. The catalog number or label - practically all that could be gleaned from his writings -- was and is a poor guide in this respect. Occassionally after that one might read a review which mentioned stampers, but they were few and infrequent.

So, since I do not have the time or the intention to write such a book, and no one else to my knowledge has the necessary expertise, one will probably never be written. There are at least two good reasons from my point of view for not even attempting such an endeavor: one selfish, one not.

To me, he seems to target in on the idea that the first pressing of the record is usually deemed "the best". If an album sells over 500,000, if not 125,000, then each pressing gradually strays away from the original. Maybe he has an audience who buys 33K turntables and $11,000 for a pair of speakers, the type that would not bother getting dirty or bending down to look through the dollar bin. Therefore, to hunt down James Taylor's One Man Dog[/b] in the hopes of finding the ultimate pressing seems odd to me:

Then again, he will be able to find the only pressing that matters, and somehow get a few people to spend $250+ for a very common record. I'm into knowing about different pressings, a different mastering, and the knowledge of what makes one pressing better over the other, but then it reaches a certain level that seems twisted. It's similar to what some say about Tyra Banks, in that audiophiles are great until you get them to talk.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This concept is hardly new to this clown. People have been talking about this for decades, especially regarding bands like the Beatles and Zep - the "Porky" stamper of Zep IV for example.

The main difference is that people used to share this knowledge for free, now he is trying to charge ridiculous
    $$$ for it without telling you which stamper is "hot".

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This concept is hardly new to this clown. People have been talking about this for decades, especially regarding bands like the Beatles and Zep - the "Porky" stamper of Zep IV for example.

Correct.

The main difference is that people used to share this knowledge for free, now he is trying to charge ridiculous
    $$$ for it without telling you which stamper is "hot".

Correct again.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    It's similar to what some say about Tyra Banks, in that audiophiles are great until you get them to talk.

hater
    you a fool J.B.

on a related note, I will pay $$$ for a super perfect pristine mint copy of "If I Could Only Remember My Name" I'm talking about DefCon 5 level or mintiness, not grimy $1 copies. HERE COME THE HAWT STAMPER, MUDERRRAAA....

cue graemlin

RE: SOI
    THERE AIN'T NOTHIN SHAMEFUL ABOUT TALKING ABOUT RECORDS DUDE, SORRY
    crust, hawtstamp, or raer private soul funk disco boogie jazz ehtnic whatevers

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This thread is SOOOO Waxidermy 2008