El Paso, TX (whats good?)

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Can anybody recommend the best mexican restaurant in town as well as some places to look for records in El Paso.Mucho appreciated!Thanks,Dress

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Here are my picks for Mexican food in El Paso.

Carlos and Mickey???s ??? I love the tortilla soup here (along with everything else I???ve ever eaten there). It is tomato based instead of from chicken stock. 99% of the time tortilla soup has chicken stock so this one stands out from the rest. The margaritas are good too.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Re...Paso_Texas.html

Jaxon???s ??? They don???t serve just Mexican food but do a twist on American dishes an add a southwest flavor to items on the menu. The main reason I go here is Jaxon???s is because they brew beer and one of our best friends is the brewmaster. We usually go by the Airway location where he works most of the time. It is close to the airport and is a great spot to hit on the way in or out of El Paso to and from the airport.

http://www.jaxons.com/

Chico???s Taco - For late night drunken eats you absolutely have to go to Chico???s tacos. Even if you haven???t been binge drinking all weekend Chico???s is a must. Order two single orders instead of a double order of tacos. That way you???ll get more sauce and can dump the sauce from the first single on the second order. Real heads know the deal. I think they are open until 3am too.

http://elpaso.citysearch.com/search?cont...ch&searchOpt=cs

Kiki???s ??? Kiki???s is one of those sort of hole in the wall restaurants that the locals eat at. If you want the real deal for breakfast or dinner this is a great spot to hit up.

http://kikismexicanrestaurant.com/

Forti???s Mexican Elder ??? larger restaurant with your standard good Mexican food menu.

http://www.eskimo.com/~sockeye/ep/fortiep.html

L&J???s ??? another hole in the wall place I???ve been to a few times for breakfast and lunch. Chili relleno burritos are good here.

http://www.eskimo.com/~sockeye/ep/ljcafeep.html

and??? If you decide to get crazy and walk across the border over the bridge (which I don???t recommend right now as the drug cartels are taking over the city and killing people left and right). But if you do, go during the day and when the sun starts to set, make a run for the border.

Kentucky Bar (Juarez) ??? This is the supposed birth place of The Margarita. Last time I went 3 of us ordered a bunch of stuff off the menu had a couple beers and the check was around $20. Kentucky Bar is 3 or 4 blocks just on the main strip just on the other side of the bridge between the US and Mexico.

http://www.juarez-mexico.com/HTML/History/H03-Kentucky.htm

Nightlife / Bar Scene. This page pretty much covers it. We usually go by Black Market. It is a little nicer than the rest of the places and the crowd is a little more hip.

http://www.el-paso-lifestyle.com/el-paso-nightlife.html

Mouse House Records is a large warehouse with about 30,000 records in it. It is fairly picked through and totally unorganized but is fun to spend a day digging through. The old lady that owns it is really nice. She plays records and laughs all day long while talking to people that come in. Mouse House isn't listed in the phone book so I'll give you the general directions on how to get there.

Take I-10 West to the 2nd Mesa St. exit (the first Mesa St. exit is closer to downtown). Turn Left on Mesa and go to Doniphan. Turn right on Doniphan.

Mouse House is in a group of warehouses down on the right. You have to drive a little while on Doniphan to get to them. If you get to the next highway that intersects Doniphan you've gone too far. Mouse house is in the back right of those antiques warehouses.

Another record shop opened up right across from Mouse House called Rockin T. I picked up some decent records there last time I was in town but he tends to mark up anything that is worth something.

Then around the corner a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store opened up recently also. A couple weeks ago I picked up 16 records at .50 cents each in there.

All three are located at the address below

Rockin -T-
    Wayne Tranter (Fri-Sat-Sun)
    6018 Doniphan
    Suite D-5
    El Paso, TX 79932
    (915)581-2522

The only other place I've had any luck at is Time Capsule. It is a collectibles shop that sells baseball cards, figurines, and records.

Time Capsule
    (915) 845-2415
    6501 N Mesa St # D
    El Paso, TX 79912

There are Goodwill and other thrift shops around town but everyone that has reported back to me said it was a complete waste of time going through them. I've only been through a few of those so far and everytime I've checked I haven't turned anything up.

Good luck diggin' out there.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Man Dress, where in the US have you not yet been for records? You're everywhere!

• Thanks Bill for the low down. From what you wrote I think I want to try Kikis the most and Mouse House sounds pretty fun too.

Im still missing ten states or so. I dont travel for records but for (hard) work. I just try to look around when Im there anyway and have the time which is not always the case. It hurts to pass by thrifts in the middle of nowhere without the time to stop for 10 mins. I did find some cheap and good 45s in Denver yesterday.

Peace,

Dress

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    There's a smaller store in El Paso, too, or at least there was when I was through about two years ago. I don't remember the name of it, or the location really, though I could get you there.

From the airport, go west on I-10 (I think it's I-10...that main interstate/freeway). Exit at one of the downtown exits, there is a street a couple blocks north of the freeway -- it's on that street.

See? Easy.

You may have more luck with google than me on this one. But I would recommend this store. Good, though small, selection of records. Prices are reasonable, but not cheap. If you only have 30 minutes to dedicate to records, your time will be better spent here than at Mouse House or the other antiques roadshows. Those places are a bit overwhelming, but the lady at Mouse House is really nice. You just won't necessarily find anything there.

Enjoy the west texas town of El Paso.
    JRoot

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    get an arm tat to rep the EPT when you're there!

• the best mexican breakfast is at Hamburger in on Yarbrough and Carolina. I suggest the huevos rancheros.

Get some fresh asadero cheese at Lincons in Socorro.

Best spot for a mexican dinner is at Carnitas Queretera-think thats how u spell it.

Best Fast food burger is Whataburger.

Chicos Tacos is a must.

And for the best steak in America travel East to a town called Fabens, theres a steak house called "Cattlemens" I promise the best steak youve ever had.

Other then that mouse house is usually picked threw. Theres a thrift store leaving El paso, its like a antique store on i-15. Over 30,000 recs. but i went threw alot of it and it seemed like shwag. Your best bet is thrift stores (goodwills/Savers). Rockin t might be alright. Organized and the owner doesnt know shit.

• Have fun in Chuco Town.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Theres a thrift store leaving El paso, its like a antique store on i-15. Over 30,000 recs. but i went threw alot of it and it seemed like shwag. Rockin t might be alright. Organized and the owner doesnt know shit.

Whoopee Bowl is the spot on the way out of town.....more like a surreal Antique Mall that sells the stuff that you'd find on the more creative Miniature Golf Courses.......I hit it two years ago and cleaned up.......only got through half of that mess in 7 hours...and there was 2 of us.

Rockin' T guy is a good dude.....be fair with him and it will pay off next time.

• It seems like Rockin T has closed. Mouse House is only open on weekends and St. Vincent de Paul thrift store is closed on mon, tues and wednesday.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Dress

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    hit up el rincon de cortez for breakfast
    the machaca plate will change your life

for the best tacos in town, go to El Toro Bronco
    its on piedras and jefferson, right up the street from Kikis, Hell of a deal and probably the best tacos in el chuco

definitely go the whoopee bowl

theres another church run thrift on hondo pass where I've found a few good records before
    go on the 54 north, exit hondo pass, turn right (away from the mountains) its in a small shopping center, right next to the Village Inn

get an arm tat to rep the EPT when you're there!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    hit up el rincon de cortez for breakfast
    the machaca plate will change your life

for the best tacos in town, go to El Toro Bronco
    its on piedras and jefferson, right up the street from Kikis, Hell of a deal and probably the best tacos in el chuco

definitely go the whoopee bowl

theres another church run thrift on hondo pass where I've found a few good records before
    go on the 54 north, exit hondo pass, turn right (away from the mountains) its in a small shopping center, right next to the Village Inn

Is it because I don't live there and it was something different for me or is Taco Tote the best Fast Food in the world??

Is it because I don't live there and it was something different for me or is Taco Tote the best Fast Food in the world??
    No, it is. Taco Tote was also voted 3rd best for fast food customer satisfaction by Fortune. The food there is dam good and very fast.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Wordplay

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Mating call!

• Jaguars does make you wanna get a stripper pregnant! For real. Gems in that place man!