dam funk question...

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I heard a new dam funk cut that's pretty dope. Gonna get the single when it drops. But I've heard interviews where he says he doesn't sample to make his music and he has this one cut here that has drums that sound like zapps more bounce to the ounce. I'm mean that snare is smackin! I was just wondering what drum machine has those sounds? I just think it's cool how he using old gear to do his beats.

Comments

• He's a cool dude. Just ask him.
    www.myspace.com/damfunk
    Most likely he'll tell you.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    Dude is nice.

Check this out:

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2009/03/dam-funk-on-point

Saw him and the rest of the gang last weekend when they perfomed here in Stockholm. He opened the set playing some incredible shit.

By the way. Cool blog. Thanks.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

I'm playing out his music a lot and the guys seems to be quite nice.
    It's fun that he's singing at his live appearances but I'm somehow happy he doesn't on his records.

• zapp drums> pistol grip pump>dam funk= l.a.

shameless plug: if you like dams hood pass, check my refix/vs./remix/blend/ or whatever the kids ae calling it with biggies goin back to cali @ www.playin4keeps.blogspot.com

all his shit bangs, but its instrumental.. prime time=need vox over beats.

check for ricci rucker aka ruckazoid, that dudes been on that sound for a hot minute now...all vintage analog gear as well.

• Simmclap

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Thought I might share this:
    http://themixsuite.blogspot.com/2009/03/dam-funk-european-nights_8436.html

WOOO, that EP is

Thought I might add I cant wait for his album

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    shameless plug: if you like dams hood pass, check my refix/vs./remix/blend/ or whatever the kids ae calling it with biggies goin back to cali @ www.playin4keeps.blogspot.com

all his shit bangs, but its instrumental.. prime time=need vox over beats.

imo this is way better than the O.G

b/w

sad but true in terms of reaching bigger audience than the music nerds. when was the last time there was an instrumental artist/song/album that went "prime-time"?

• i didnt mean better than dams og...i meant dams beat is better than the og biggie beat.

so, putting biggie over was the no brainer...to feed the sheep.

as of recent i cant recall any inst music that made any noise within mainstream. take it back to rainforest/ paul hardcastle, sun palace/rude movements, kasso.......

however in the world of deep house...theres maaaad releases.

• looking forward to the album. the 12" and "rhythm trax vol. 4" have been in heavy rotation.

• looking forward to the album. the 12" and "rhythm trax vol. 4" have been in heavy rotation.

Did you grab this one?

Wavelength

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i didnt mean better than dams og...i meant dams beat is better than the og biggie beat.

that's exactly what i meant too. your remix w/dams beat >> o.g. biggie version

• nah, i got the stone's trow 12". i didn't even know that one existed.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts

as of recent i cant recall any inst music that made any noise within mainstream. take it back to rainforest/ paul hardcastle, sun palace/rude movements, kasso.......

For real thats the joints right there !

• "So, in relation 2 this particular joint & my 'very rare use of samples' in my music that I create, I wanted 2 share with U the info on how it was recorded.

Yes, I rarely sample becuase I don't need 2. But, when or if I ever decide 2 include this 'artform' in my music it will always be the DRUMS & NOT someone else's actual notes, per say.

In "Hood Pass Intact", the' claps' from "More Bounce To The Once" by ZAPP were sampled & chopped and the downbeat or 'the 1' of the kick & bass are used. It was done with the MPC 2000XL and 'all original music' was played by me on top.

Again, when it comes 2 samples in my music, I've NEVER used actual music from another artist recordings. Only the DRUMS and that's basically like 1% percent of the time out of 100% that I ever use the 'art of sampling' in that way.

This will ALWAYS remain 'the way' for me.

Now that we have these facts explained in regards 2 my NEW JOINT coming out on 12" this May, I hope U will continue 2 enjoy my musical creations 2 the fullest, without dissecting so hard! LOL!!

Here is "Hood Pass Intact" 4 U:
    Produced, recorded, & played by your homie; D??M-FunK

http://analoggiant.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-12-by-mr-funk.html

Peace.

- D-F"

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    when was the last time there was an instrumental artist/song/album that went "prime-time"?
    I'm pretty sure that Kenny G's "Songbird" went pop Top 40, but that was, like, what--'87? '88? I can't think of anything more recent.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Simmclap