So Keith Jarrett is white?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
TR: When I was fourteen or fifteen, I bought a few of your records. When I saw your picture I thought, "I wonder if this guy's white or black."KJ: Ornette asked me that way back in the 60s.TR: Was there any intention to your appearance? Did you feel you had to fit in with a certain set of people?KJ: No. It's how I wanted to look but, I didn't have my hair done, it just grows like that! I had a feeling of closeness to the world that I was a part of, and that world was in a large part black. I think it was just an environmental thing. But I had a hell of a time convincing a few people that I wasn't black. There was one guy who would have gone and done research into my family tree if he had the money to do it. He didn't want it to be true that I was white. {Laughs}
Dude has a giant discography and a lot of terds. The grunting and shit.But I think those Impulse titles with Dewey Redman are worth keeping. And that one with Charlie Haden on wah-wah fuzz bass.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    heard hes a dick in concert. shushing people in the audience on some "maestro at work" shit

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    heard hes a dick in concert. shushing people in the audience on some "maestro at work" shit

yeah, that definitely sounds like stuff white people would do.

• yes, he's an uptight asshole. love his piano playing but hate his grunting. check "long as you're lviing yours" which was the template to steely dan's "gaucho"

check out this little hissy fit:

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The live in Koln (or whatever German city) records are great mellow piano music. It sucks because you know the dude could have recorded more fun music, but tons of his shit winds up being sissy music.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Oh yeah, countless articles and reviews on how someone will cough, he'll stop, and get into an argument with the crowd telling them stuff like "if you don't plan on taking me serious, how do you expect to take my music seriously?"

But yeah, I had always assumed he was mixed, not realizing he had the same background as Mandy Bright.

yes, he's an uptight asshole. love his piano playing but hate his grunting. check "long as you're lviing yours" which was the template to steely dan's "gaucho"

check out this little hissy fit:

Was that before the performance? If so, what a great way to start.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Where are those Jarrett quotes from? It shows he has a better sense of humor than I expected him to...

Any opinions on Restoration Ruin, his folk-rock album on Vortex?

• [quote
    yeah, that definitely sounds like stuff white people would do.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In the late 70s he started releasing box sets of his piano improvisations at the rate of, what seemed like, 1 a week.

He got on this big I am an "artiste" kick and got all salty towards both rock and fusion.

Ego.

• Where are those Jarrett quotes from? It shows he has a better sense of humor than I expected him to...

I've always liked that album. He plays a bunch of instruments and sings a bit. There's also a cool string quartet.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Jarrett freaked out at the jazz fest here. But he then did what was almost a stand-up routine and was genuinely funny.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    hissy sissy

The episode of Saturday Night Live that he appeared on is on DVD (I think it was the third season?).

You heard of solo face?

My man had solo BODY.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The episode of Saturday Night Live that he appeared on is on DVD (I think it was the third season?).

You heard of solo face?

My man had solo BODY.

It seemed to be taped in a studio vs. the live stage. The audience seemed added, if i recall.

Not that it means anything.

You heard of solo face?

My man had solo BODY.

It seemed to be taped in a studio vs. the live stage. The audience seemed added, if i recall.

Yeah, they put him in front of a set that looked like somebody's living room...not the usual gasoline-alley type set design that the musical guests used to perform in front of, back then.

Not that it means anything.

Maybe it does. I don't know if Jarrett had become a "diva" yet, or if he was always like that, but as sensitive as he is to throat clearings and coughs, can you imagine him on live TV???

So if his segment was taped beforehand, it wouldn't shock me.

Really good. I'd still like to get all of the albums on Vortex/Atlantic, fortunately there aren't too many.

* 2001 Steve Marcus - Tomorrow Never Knows
    * 2002 Joe Zawinul - The Rise And Fall Of The Third Stream
    * 2003 Byard Lancaster - It's Not Up To Us
    * 2004 Chick Corea - Tones For Joan's Bones
    * 2005 Robin Kenyatta - Until
    * 2006 Keith Jarrett - Life Between The Exit Signs
    * 2007 Dave Pike - The Doors Of Perception
    * 2008 Keith Jarrett - Restoration Ruin
    * 2009 Steve Marcus - Count's Rock Band
    * 2010 Clifford Jordan - Soul Fountain
    * 2011 Leo Wright - Soul Talk
    * 2012 Keith Jarrett - Somewhere Before
    * 2013 Steve Marcus - The Lord's Prayer
    * 2014 Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman
    [/b]

A few of these have been reissued and/or comped

IS CHARLES LLOYD BLACK?

when i asked him to sign my copy of Forest Flower, he just grabbed the sharpie and drew a big line across the cover, shoved it back at me, and said, "you better not put his on eBay"

IS CHARLES LLOYD BLACK?

when i asked him to sign my copy of Forest Flower, he just grabbed the sharpie and drew a big line across the cover, shoved it back at me, and said, "you better not put his on eBay"

You should've told him "can you sign it that way?"