Stolen Records Case #4567: PDX Help / Info Needed

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Due to some extremely unfortunate circumstances a large majorityof my Frank Zappa collection (approx. 30-50 LPS) were stolen and sold to EM downtown last week. There would have been common titles plus raer selections and special releases. Pops was an avid collector for several decades and now aside from some rinked copies of Hot Rats and a box set or two, its all gone. They were possibly put on the floor as early as Tuesday the 17th more likely Thursday or Friday and would have been available for purchase up to now.If anyone bought or seen a number of Zappa LPs at the Downtown EM in the last week or so Please hit me on the PM. Thanks so much.

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    so uncool.

if the perps sold the records to the store, ask the store if they have info i.e. drivers license. from what I know to sell stuff to stores you need valid ID, maybe you can track them down like that. good luck.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    so uncool.

if the perps sold the records to the store, ask the store if they have info i.e. drivers license. from what I know to sell stuff to stores you need valid ID, maybe you can track them down like that. good luck.

I don't know that there are any laws pertaining to this, it's probably just a regional thing... around here nobody wants to see your ID to sell records.

• if the store knew or should have known those lp's were stolen then they are screwed, otherwise they are the bona fide purchaser for value without notice which means that the legal title on those records actually passes to the store.

either way, that really sucks.

can you tell us about the extremely unfortunate circumstances that led to the theft?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    so uncool.

I don't know that there are any laws pertaining to this, it's probably just a regional thing... around here nobody wants to see your ID to sell records.

I think it's more of a store policy issue. It's a smart policy to have if you buy a lot of records???if you end up buying something that's stolen you have some recourse as a shop owner if the cops come around.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Has EM been helpful?

Were any of them still there when you got there?

Did they offer to give them back or sell them to you for cost?

EM does take DL# and name with each sale.
    How you would attach the sale to the name days latter I don't know.

Sucks.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Has EM been helpful?

Sucks.

Yes, EM has been very helpful.

Yes, they offered to pull what was left however a week has gone so I don't think there will be much but I am hopeful. I am still going to try to recover what I can and hash out a list of the titles that were lost.

The unfortunate thing is that I was well aware that this might would happen. I even called the record store a month ago hoping they would call me when these records came walking in and They hadn't even been highjacked yet. I guess I should have done more to try and prevent it.

Obviously, Things don't always happen the way we hope they will. They do however have a very good record keeping system ( pun intended ) at the store with the name of the person who stole them, when they were brought in and how much they were paid for them.

There were also 3 UH boxes of country records that we never got a chance to go through. Worthless? Maybe, but hardly the word I would use, I think Irreplaceable Gold Mine is more appropriate.

LOL...hey I can still try to find some humor in it right?

Because I knew this might happen I had a little time to prep for it mentally. It is a first for me and I am sad and SUPER pissed but losing the records isn't even the real tragedy of the whole situation.

• Has EM been helpful?

Sucks.

Yes, they offered to pull what was left however a week has gone so I don't think there will be much but I am hopeful. I am still going to try to recover what I can and hash out a list of the titles that were lost.

The unfortunate thing is that I was well aware that this might would happen. I even called the record store a month ago hoping they would call me when these records came walking in and They hadn't even been highjacked yet. I guess I should have done more to try and prevent it.

Obviously, Things don't always happen the way we hope they will. They do however have a very good record keeping system ( pun intended ) at the store with the name of the person who stole them, when they were brought in and how much they were paid for them.

There were also 3 UH boxes of country records that we never got a chance to go through. Worthless? Maybe, but hardly the word I would use, I think Irreplaceable Gold Mine is more appropriate.

Because I knew this might happen I had a little time to prep for it mentally. It is a first for me and I am sad and SUPER pissed but losing the records isn't even the real tragedy of the whole situation.

I'm confused...you had the records, had an inkling that they might be stolen but didn't put them somewhere safe? Were they stolen by a roommate (family member)??

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Has EM been helpful?

Sucks.

I'm confused...you had the records, had an inkling that they might be stolen but didn't put them somewhere safe? Were they stolen by a roommate (family member)??

I assume that this relates to family troubles that were discussed a long time ago.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Yes and Yes.

I just retrieved about half of them from EM. Again, I am thankful for their assistance and glad its not a complete loss.

And I tried to prevent it, but obviously I didn't try hard enough.