Record Clamp

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I'm interested in improving the sound quality coming from my turntables but does it really make a big difference to use one of these? I also checked out the prices and they seem to be relatively expensive. Has anyone tried something like this: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm interested in improving the sound quality coming from my turntables but does it really make a big difference to use one of these? I also checked out the prices and they seem to be relatively expensive. Has anyone tried something like this:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

Looks like more ridiculous audiophile snake oil.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    90% of that audiophile voodoo is bullshit IMHO

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I have a cheapish $50 one mostly because it works wonders on dish warps. I don't really notice any significant difference in sound though.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yeah as said above... no real noticeable improvement on sound quality but helps with dished vinyl.
    I bought the $25 rubber KAB clamp, works very well and is cheap.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Yeah as said above... no real noticeable improvement on sound quality but helps with dished vinyl.

Is it compatible with 1200's spindles?
    For the records that have a slight dish warp I could definitely use this. Maybe just get one for starters.

• They're not snake oil.

Record clamps can make an improvement in the sound if you have a decent enough stereo setup to reveal what they can do.

They work well for dishwarps and I use mine to flatten out some edge warps on 45's that would skip otherwise.

For $50-100 it's definitely worth it.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Is it compatible with 1200's spindles?
    For the records that have a slight dish warp I could definitely use this. Maybe just get one for starters.

Yup totally. Just uses the gripping force of the rubber. Works very well.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Record clamps can make an improvement in the sound if you have a very[/b] decent stereo setup to reveal what they can do.