School me on Azymuth

2»

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    damn- i would have thought that azymuth LPs would be everywhere in brazil, i thought of them being brazil's beatles, but i guess not. Moogman, i could help you out on the reissue front if you want- maybe arrange a trade?

Please be serious on both accounts. You really thought that an experimental, ahead of their time jazz funk group was like Brasil's Beatles? Man, people have some really strange ideas about this country...

If you want an example of a record that is everywhere and tends to get overpriced in the US it'd be more like Tamba Trio - Avan??o. But still not easy to pull really clean. Mostly what fills the 5 reais bins is utter junk or 80s gal costa / caetano / gilberto gil (which isn't all bad).

If you honestly can get Azimuth for $50 in the UK then buy up every copy you see.

• yeah ok i was being kinda naive but there is so much great music from brazil and azymuth seem to be behind a significant amount of that music i kinda assumed that they would be appreciated more than they seem to be. I havent seen an og azimuth in a while (2 months or so) but they do turn up over here - will grip next one i see and turn it over on here.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Unfortunately, being a great musician making nice music doesn't mean
    you'll get all the deserved appreciation.
    A sad example of this is Arthur Verocai.
    He has a fantastic work as an artist and arranger, but only a couple
    of people know him and dig his music here.
    People tend to like the more palatable & simple music, like romantic,
    sertanejo (country) or happy sambas.
    Roberto Carlos used to sell 2 millions copies of every of his records
    before the release, while Verocai sold 1000, maybe.
    Azimuth never was huge here, and even their songs used in soap operas
    soundtracks received little or no attention at all.

yeah ok i was being kinda naive but there is so much great music from brazil and azymuth seem to be behind a significant amount of that music i kinda assumed that they would be appreciated more than they seem to be. I havent seen an og azimuth in a while (2 months or so) but they do turn up over here - will grip next one i see and turn it over on here.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    So what's up with the variation in spelling? Originally it was Azim??th; is Azymuth an anglicization?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    yeah ok i was being kinda naive but there is so much great music from brazil and azymuth seem to be behind a significant amount of that music i kinda assumed that they would be appreciated more than they seem to be. I havent seen an og azimuth in a while (2 months or so) but they do turn up over here - will grip next one i see and turn it over on here.

Marcos Valle was (is) a giant figure in Brazilian music, but his records aren't exactly common. Not super rare, but considering his stature they should be everywhere.

Azymuth are cool, but aren't in Marcos Valles' league, so it's no surprise that their records aren't that common.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    This is Marcos Valle & Azymuth - Brazil by Music, Fly Cruzeiro (1972), for Aquarius Producoes Artisticas. Fly Cruzeiro is a promotional record, never released commercially with the intent of be used as music to be played inside Cruzeiro airlines flights. Tracks include:

01 - Jingle Cruzeiro
    02 - Esta Fazendo um Ano - Aquarela do Brasil
    03 - Zazueira - Mas Que Nada
    04 - Tristeza
    05 - Aqui e o Pais do Futebol
    06 - Ate Pensei
    07 - Zanzibar
    08 - Nao Tem Solucao - Marina - ...das Rosas
    09 - Samba de Verao
    10 - Prenda Minha
    11 - Asa Branca
    12 - Wave

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/05/marcos-valle-azymuth-brazil-by-music.html

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Here's the UK press

I need a copy of this for real

day, pay no more than 15-20$ though. Is the UK pressing the OG? Never saw a US or Brazillian release for this...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that Valle record is in my all time top ten... couple nice jams on that helio matheus

• yeah the UK pressing is the OG, they did that 12" and a 12" of jazz carnival over here because they were pretty big disco hits over here. I dont think there is any other pressing of the dear limmertz 12".

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    yeah the UK pressing is the OG, they did that 12" and a 12" of jazz carnival over here because they were pretty big disco hits over here. I dont think there is any other pressing of the dear limmertz 12".
    wrong! i own the us promo.
    here's a picture for ya... http://bp0.blogger.com/_X15fo-oPyKQ/R6Cl...NE:PROMO:US.JPG

hey mario- no disrespect but for someone who acts like they know a ton about azimuth... you keep bringin' the info.

• wrong! i own the us promo
    i didnt know about that, i'm not pretending to know a lot about azymuth either, im just discussing a band that i like the music of so no disrespect taken.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    wrong! i own the us promo
    i didnt know about that, i'm not pretending to know a lot about azymuth either, im just discussing a band that i like the music of so no disrespect taken.
    hahaha-thats cool. not really looking for internet beef over here. good band is something we can agree on.

• good band is something we can agree on.
    a huge there bro!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This is Marcos Valle & Azymuth - Brazil by Music, Fly Cruzeiro (1972), for Aquarius Producoes Artisticas. Fly Cruzeiro is a promotional record, never released commercially with the intent of be used as music to be played inside Cruzeiro airlines flights. Tracks include:

01 - Jingle Cruzeiro
    02 - Esta Fazendo um Ano - Aquarela do Brasil
    03 - Zazueira - Mas Que Nada
    04 - Tristeza
    05 - Aqui e o Pais do Futebol
    06 - Ate Pensei
    07 - Zanzibar
    08 - Nao Tem Solucao - Marina - ...das Rosas
    09 - Samba de Verao
    10 - Prenda Minha
    11 - Asa Branca
    12 - Wave

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/05/marcos-valle-azymuth-brazil-by-music.html

Does anyone know for sure that this is Marcos Valle/Azymuth?

I've had a burn of this for years and it really doesn't sound like them, IMO.