YOUTUBE QUESTION

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
how does one get around the whole copyright thing with putting music in a lil video thing? please help! thank you.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just do it.
    If the copyright owner complains offer to split all the money you made from having it on youtube.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i solved it.

the problem with youtube is that you cant "just do it". once they process your upload, they somehow check the audio and if they can identify it, they completely take down the audio and put up some msg about how it is copyright infringement. so u got a video with no sound.

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts
    so how did you solve it?

haha! its simple really. im too dumb to figure any of the shit out. i had a legit dl from like itunes or something and i wanted to use it in the soundtrack. since it wouldnt work i got another copy from slsk and that worked fine. so i actually didnt do shit, i just found a copy online that youtube couldnt recognize.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    it must do some sort of drm check.

now, lets see that video.

unfortunately, i have to go through about 3 hrs of time lapsed footage to blur a dudes head out so its gon take me about a week or so before i can show anyone. but i'll show u dudes when im done.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    YouTube performs audio analysis on everything you upload now. If it matches the audio of a song in their database that was requested to be blocked by its license owner, than it doesn't let you post it.
    This technology isn't foolproof of course, you can get around it with remixes and alternate recordings occasionally, but it will surely improve over time.

On a related note, Google is about to start indexing audio and video files, so you'll be able to do keyword searches for song lyrics.

does it do a waveform analysis? i just found the song on some sort of older anthology 60s hits type thing instead of the legit reissue on itunes. same song, same version, and it worked. but it was just a test so i took it down right quick.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    does it do a waveform analysis?

Something like that.

More info here:
    http://www.youtube.com/t/contentid

what is done to make it passable on youtube? does anyone know? cuz the material in question worked one way and didnt the other.

so it turns out i didnt solve the problem. anyone know if a vinyl rip cornfuses the youtube? i think thats my last hope.

works fine on vimeo, but the money man wants it on youtube...

http://vimeo.com/4044830

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I uploaded a few tunes to youtube that were all ripped directly from vinyl, no problems so far.
    Only two clips of a 6 part mixtape were deactivated and I guessed this only happenend because I posted a tracklist including recordlabels. Youtube has beef with Warner Music that's why Warner now requests deactivation of every content owned by them. It's said they even own the copyrights of "Happy Birthday"!!! Filthy industry bitches.