Private Herb Gardens (parsley/herb-R)

dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
(actual parsley parsley-R)The windowsill herb garden was a big hit for GF's birthday. She didn't even think putting them in order was corny (parsley sage rosemary and um thyme)...A month into it, and they're looking pretty good: we're snipping rosemary off for garnishes, the thyme is getting run, the sage is unused, and the parsley has aphids. I've poked around on the net a bit for a solution, and went with the soft organic dish soap in water...half of me wants it to fail, so I can justify buying ladybugs.Ladybugs would be amazing.Strut seems to be full of grown folks knowing things, so I'm throwing it out there:Anything else I need to consider?Do ladybugs eat records?What's up?who has a pee ayche dee in aphidology etcthanks in advance!

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the sage is unused

aww man, fresh sage in some melted butter and put on ravioli, tortelini and even perogies is amazing...use that sage son!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    str8 HERB

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    can you fry aphids up in that melted sage butter?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    can you fry aphids up in that melted sage butter?

sure!

Im sorry, does the sage have aphids also? I thought they were just lovin on the parsley...

ah sorry. To clarify:
    Aphids only on the parsley.
    Sage MAY have been used for a dinner last week, but I'm not entirely sure...the chicken was GOOD!
    I will battle Grandfather for 10 G's anywhere, anytime.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Anything else I need to consider?
    Amend the soil annually to maintain output.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    one can never have enough rosemary!

i used to have a medicinal garden. it made me so happy. i grew chamomile, goldenseal, echinachea, dandelion, comfrey, lemon balm, lavender, among others. shit was tight. can't do that in manhattan but i have some nice houseplants. i would really like to have one again. wtf.

this is one my friend is creating in jamaica now, it's a medicine wheel with different sections according to herb classification, but for now he is just preparing the soil and getting ready to plant it. some of the tropical medicinal herbs are really powerful.... fevergrass, sorrel, sarsaparilla, goat corn, hyssop, etc.

it's gonna be great!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the sage is unused

aww man, fresh sage in some melted butter and put on ravioli, tortelini and even perogies is amazing...use that sage son!

absolute truth.the classic is sage butter on gnochi.

i like some sage in a red sauce as well, but thats not very traditional

aphids:
    soap
    lady bugs
    pluck them off and kill them (seriously...very effective)
    and finally...get some red chili pepper and steppe it in water for a good bit of time and use the water as a spray on the parsley. should work.

remay is a preventetive approach, but thats for some outdoors shit.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    will herbs grow outdoors in a pot in new york?

it would be nice to have herbs on hand at all times instead of having to run out and buying them at the corner store.

most definitely (well, not in the winter)
    you talking roof or fire escape, youre good. gotta have some sun. dont put them in full sun when they are babies. if they got full sun later, make sure you water them a lot so they dont shrivel up.

most likely roof.
    theres an old wagon on the roof/deck that looked like it had something growing out of it once. which might be a good place to plant.
    should i be getting seeds for this mini endeavor and get cracking now or wait it out til it gets warmer in nyc.

also, if herbs don't grow outdoors during the winter, do they re-sprout once it gets warmer? do they hibernate like animals do?

some herbs are perenial others you have to plant every year.
    rosemary and sage (and some times oregano) will come back. my folks have had a city rosemary plant in the back yard that is a bout ten years old. its a beast.

get cracking now. you can get seeds, but you might be better off getting starts at a farmers market. id imagine that union square would be selling starts in full swing right about now.

if you opt for seeds, get a paper towel, keep it moist and put the seeds inside of it. keep it in a relatively dark place. once they sprout, either eat the sprouts for a healthy snack or put them in potting soil and in the sun.

but try to get starts

sounds good. thanks for the info. will get started this weekend.

parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and most definately basil.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I had a rosemary pot for a minute but that shit died on me. It made the kitchen smell good as hell.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Re: Aphids. Doctor Bronners Eucalyptus soap (not the other "flavors") diluted 7:1 will kill virtually any pest/disease your plants might get. Spray it on, wait a while, and rinse it off.

I've used it numerous times and it's never failed.

sounds good. thanks for the info. will get started this weekend.

parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and most definately basil.

give thyme room to spread...its almost like a ground cover

try planting the basil with a tomato plant...they do real well together.
    and with a nice fresh mozzarella, make a triumphant trio

I had a rosemary pot for a minute but that shit died on me. It made the kitchen smell good as hell.

rosemarys fragrance is unbelievable. its got a real strong oil that will resinate your hands after handling. i recently started drying it and burning it like an incense...it has a wonderful cleansing smell.

Re: Aphids. Doctor Bronners Eucalyptus soap (not the other "flavors") diluted 7:1 will kill virtually any pest/disease your plants might get. Spray it on, wait a while, and rinse it off.

i got that in the shower right now!!! tat explains why there are no aphids on my nuts!

i got that in the shower right now!!! tat explains why there are no aphids on my nuts!

First time I showered with that stuff I got Great Balls O'Fire. Still do.

like a peppermint patty!

see this is what I'm talking about, this is NICE!
    I'm gonna get some Dr Bronner's tomorrow, it's been awhile since I've been to Trader Joe's anyways...and my nuts...my nuts aren't burning pep-O-mint wtf am I thinking?

Now: what of the Charlie Brown looking ficus in the corner? That shit is meager. Thing is SHOOK. Grow or die, please!

and I chopped the jade plant up something crazy and plugged the better looking clippings into some random dirt...if that works, I'm going to be stoked.

kirk herbstrut is killinit
    sprittysicc for sure on here
    thanks

Now: what of the Charlie Brown looking ficus in the corner? That shit is meager. Thing is SHOOK. Grow or die, please!

Yeah Ficuses can be a bitch. They don't like cold drafts or sudden change in environment. Be sparing with the fertilizer - Miracle Grow is too strong at recommended dilution. Do a google for "ficus indoor" for some more detailed tips.

I have a giant one that has put me through it a few times, but it looks great now and I bought it for $5.00 at K-Mart years ago when it was a wee sprite.