Is there a faster, more basic mp3 player for mac?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Itunes is nice and all, but it sucks for digging for stuff online really. I also don't like having so many deleted songs stuck in my playlist when i just drag a whole folder to the trash. I want something as light and simple as winamp, but for mac. Suggestions?

Comments

• As I'm cleaning up my desktop, I usually just open up a finder window and listen to it in preview, then delete or file as needed.

Are you looking for something a little more in depth?

Sometimes I preview by playing through microwave, but its frustrating because
    you can't delete from there.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

As I'm cleaning up my desktop, I usually just open up a finder window and listen to it in preview, then delete or file as needed.

okay, maybe im dumb, whats preview?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Quicktime Player plays mp3s if you're looking for a quick listen. That's what I use when I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the song. Doesn't copy it into my library.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ahh, do you mean quicklook?

yeah that works ok i guess

• As I'm cleaning up my desktop, I usually just open up a finder window and listen to it in preview, then delete or file as needed.

okay, maybe im dumb, whats preview?

dood, of course your dumb, you're on soulstrut.

click on finder or click on a folder on your desktop (dont double click, that will open up the file in default program for that file type)

on the left side, click desktop

make sure the view options are in the column style as opposed to icon

if you highlight an audio file, it will open up another column with an icon similar to a divshare player that you can click the play button on. Or needle drop through the track with your mouse

if the song sucks ass, you command-delete and it will shit can it, or drag it to an appropriate folder/itunes.

hope that helps, if not its cause I suck at comps a little less than you

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    or highlight any mp3,click control, go to get info change all audio types to open in VLC, problem solved, (vlc is very similar to winamp)

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm using Songbird by Mozilla. It's still in beta and it's not perfect, but it beats the hell out of iTunes and its free.

iTunes is annoying. If you don't want to ditch it though I'd recommend going into the settings and turning off the library management so it doesn't copy every damn song you play into your library.
    The only redeeming factor of iTunes in my mind is the visualizer that Robert Hodgkin (http://www.flight404.com) created in Processing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    http://videolan.org

and be done with it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    http://videolan.org

and be done with it.

I downloaded this earlier today and have been trying it out.. so far so good. Seems to be what I've been looking for.