WTF is a "hipster"?

2»

Comments

• A hipster is a person that sags Levis tapered leg jeans with neon dunks and thinks they run shit in Bucktown.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Everyone else but me

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Here's my wife's take -

Targeting the hipsters is so easy, though. They are perfect to hate on. Hipster existence relies heavily on networking tools and communication media, but is made most happy by things created for and by hipsters. It's the globalization of youth culture, from neon 14 year olds to folks in their less flighty 40s who've been DIY since before do-it-yourself became an acronym.

They swarm, are fickle, and are huge consumers - until they catch you marketing to them. They aren't the end of anything, especially not western civilization. At some point they will run out things to recycle (80's dance hits, swill cheap beer, neon reboks, leggings) and will be begin to create something more substantial than massive websites where they can look at the photos taken at parties the previous night.

Just like everyone hated on the punks and the hip-hop scene, at some point those folks became in charge of stuff (record labels, clothing lines, office managers, their own household and families). Those same folks run art galleries and edit magazines. Just like the DYI set brought a new dawn of small business (Babes in Toyland, Meeps, Saint Ex), the hipsters at some point will have to do something with their lives other than picking out nonprescription glasses. Some of them already have. Until then, may they help fuel the economy by drinking even more PBR and buying new American Apparel micro-mesh see-through t-shirts.

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    After a listen to "How To Speak Hip" it's apparent that hipsters of yore were considerably more creative and interesting than current day hipsters. Probably because one culture is centered around psychedelic drugs and the other is centered around consumption habits. I'm gonna go listen to me some lord buckley now.