A Song from Your Childhood-Post 'Em Up!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,I was searching around youtube and I found a song that my father played incessantly during my childhood:

The song features Rev. Julius Cheeks on lead vocals and is from the "Songs of Praise" LP. This album contains great "old-time" Gospel and I strongly recommend it to the Gospel heads out there. Please add on.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    This was my jam.

Happy Birthday Baby Jesus.

It's from Sunshine & Snowflakes.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've mentioned this before....my grandfather had this record that I listened to 100's of times.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    played every night at the end of the channel 2 news while they show folks trowdashakas.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1URg8wsM0&feature=related

My grandpops used to take me to this Fish n' Chips joint(R.I.P.) on Clement St. and they had a jukebox. I just remember being a little kid tearing up video games to this song everytime I went there. Kiling it on Kung-Fu and R-Type. Plus the Fish and Chips was bomb.

Second piece of vinyl my mom gave me.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Remember when MTV dropped? Back when it was a cable channel that only a few people had?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

b/w

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

• (disregard anime sh*t)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    played every night at the end of the channel 2 news while they show folks trowdashakas.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I used to let this tape rock til the tape popped. I can't believe it is on youtube.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Osmonds : Crazy Horses, Long-Haired Lover from Liverpool
    Slade: Cum On Feel the Noize
    Carl Douglas: Kung Fu Fighting (banned @ school disco for obvious reasons)
    Perry Como: The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
    Carpenters: Close to You
    All the hits from The Beatles and Jacksons cartoons.
    Cosing on teh ill Sesame Street number counts: esp. that Pinball Number Count 12: Sightseeing, USA and the lower-case n steez ()

Happy days.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Cosing on teh ill Sesame Street number counts: esp. that Pinball Number Count 12: Sightseeing, USA and the lower-case n steez ()

Happy days.

You must be about 40. Crazy Horses was huge in Stevens Point, WI!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Blondie "Heart of Glass"

around the time I was 8 years old I got a clock radio and these 2 songs were played on constant rotation and became my favorites...also there was a pizza place my family and I frequented often called Fox Ridge Pizza...and my pop would give me money for the jukebox and I played these songs constantly...still love these songs

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Go-Gos - Our Lips are Sealed

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

We had just gotten cable and this was on heavy rotation on MTV at the time. I've never purchased this song or had a jones to hear it, but when I do it always takes me back to that time.

MTV was crazy back then. They would have those weird station ID tidbits that were straight up avant garde.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts

Happy days.

You must be about 40. Crazy Horses was huge in Stevens Point, WI!

Good call. 41.

• I still love this song (from right around my 8th b-day)...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've already posted this before, but it bears repeating now...this was a Levi's jeans ad from 1972 that used to have me bopping and laughing all the time. It was so popular (ran for years) that I'm surprised no one tried to make it a hit single, on some "Like To Teach The World To Sing" steez:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've already posted this before, but it bears repeating now...this was a Levi's jeans ad from 1972 that used to have me bopping and laughing all the time. It was so popular (ran for years) that I'm surprised no one tried to make it a hit single, on some "Like To Teach The World To Sing" steez:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    THIS GENERATION. RULES THE NATION

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    These were some of the songs I used here all the time around the house my moms and pops used to play.

I miss those days..oh well, back to work

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I am very familiar with the Fendermen's version (even though I heard the Levi's commercial first). With all due respect to Jimmie Rodgers (who wrote/sang it originally), the Fendermen's is by far THE best version of "Mule Skinner Blues" by anybody...

• my mom used to jam this on the regular. i get real happy every time i hear it.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    this is one of the first songs i remember hearing as a wee 6 year old lad.... of course i had no idea what they were singing about.... except skyrockets....

• this is one of the first songs i remember hearing as a wee 6 year old lad.... of course i had no idea what they were singing about.... except skyrockets....

a few months ago a friend of my had the day off and ended up coming to dallas. he called me up at work to see if i wanted to meet up with him at, of all places, a tommy bahama. that's not my style, but it is two blocks from where i work, so i told him i'd meet him there. when i got there he was in the dressing room, so the dude at the store started talking to me. asking what i was up to, etc. i told him i was skipping out on work to meet up with a friend. a few minutes later my friend come out of the dressing room, and we start talking. the dude who works at the store comes up behind us and says, "i see what's going on. you guys are gonna get a little 'afternoon delight!."

my friend bought a $50 pair of flip-flops with lobsters on them.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I used to watch this music show with my older brother every saturday afternoon named "Formel 1". This was way before there were private TV stations in Germany and this was the only show where you could see music videos at all on german TV. I must have been 5 or 6 years old when I first saw this and I loved that song and the moves all these people made.

I kept singing this in imitated fantasy english for weeks: "Heyju serack teddy kuh..."This must have been exactly when the breakdance craze in Germany started but I had no idea what that was. My brother later bought that LP for me and I still have it.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    this is one of the first songs i remember hearing as a wee 6 year old lad.... of course i had no idea what they were singing about.... except skyrockets....

Maybe I'll put it in her brownie.