To open or not to open,that iz the question..

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
i picked up a sealed copy of Kim Weston "kim,kim,kim" lp on Volt this weekend. Never heard it before and i'm not sure if i should open it or save it for someone that might appreciate it more if i end up not being hyped on it. Anybody got any oppinions to share on this joint??peeeezzz

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    someones pointed this out to me at a fair on the weekend and told me it had something good on it. That's all I got I'm afraid.

• Not to be a jerk or nothing, but the question that comes to mind about sealed records is - Do you collect records because you like the music or because some of them are worth loot? If you like them because of the music, and you haven't heard/don't own one already that Kim Weston, crack that thing open. If you're in the game as some sort of collectables spectulator or investor, put it in a reallllly thick plastic record sleeve, put it in storage, and then go buy some CDs. In about 10 years when the market is prime, go back and pull that record out and sell it on Ebay for a whole $35.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    It's a $5 rekkid.

One nice tune on there. So open away.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Do you collect records because you like the music or because some of them are worth loot?

These two are by no means mutually exclusive - it's a false opposition.

---

• Do you collect records because you like the music or because some of them are worth loot?

These two are by no means mutually exclusive - it's a false opposition.

---

Yeah, it's a reactionary question but my point is this - what good is it to sit around and wonder about the value of sealed unheard records? There's a sort of horder mentality to that I oppose. The old "is it good?", "no but it's rare" point of view. One could turn that around to "is it good?", "I don't know but it's sealed!". I understand the line is blurry between collecting/investing and collector/seller but c'mon, this is soulstrut, not the Ebay Powerseller Community.

Maybe I'm just a product of my environment, at my work my boss always says about high ended record pricing, "Are we trying to sell records or run a museum?". You win some, you lose some as to pricing and value. And that's were I come from, do I like these records or do I like telling people how much they're worth. If I don't like it, sell it, pass it on, trade it.

I'm too cranky, I need more coffee.

SonicReducer

(TEAMAARON)

• records are meant to be heard.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Are we trying to sell records or run a museum?".

Seriously.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    ya'll are funny...dude didn't even ask how much it was worth, he just asked what it was like so that maybe he'd open it or save it for someone who might appreciate it more than him if he's not feelin it. Like maybe if there's someone out there who's a freak over this record they might get excited over a sealed copy. I don't see him mentioning ebay once...I don't even see him mentioning money.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    run a museum

ya'll are funny...dude didn't even ask how much it was worth, he just asked what it was like so that maybe he'd open it or save it for someone who might appreciate it more than him if he's not feelin it. Like maybe if there's someone out there who's a freak over this record they might get excited over a sealed copy. I don't see him mentioning ebay once...I don't even see him mentioning money.

you're right.

So should I crack open this Chi Coltrane LP?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

N-O

N-O

seriously? I have never heard her and I have it on hold at a spot(cheeeep)...It looks kinda sweet. Congas by King Errison and blue-eyed Carole King-type stuff, from the looks and date.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Self titled? Maroon colored cover? I have 2 of her LPs in my sale box at $3 apiece. They aren't that great at all.

• ya'll are funny...dude didn't even ask how much it was worth, he just asked what it was like so that maybe he'd open it or save it for someone who might appreciate it more than him if he's not feelin it. Like maybe if there's someone out there who's a freak over this record they might get excited over a sealed copy. I don't see him mentioning ebay once...I don't even see him mentioning money.

You're absolutely right, that's why I included my "reactionary question" excuse. Dude did say there might be someone who appreciates it more than him. True. But will they appreciate it any less if it's opened? Does the music sound different if you're the first to open it? No, it's just worth less dollar-wise. I'm probably comin' down on the wrong dude, and I apologize for that, it's just there seems to be a lot more of "is this rare?", "how much is this worth?", and "how much can I get for this?" rather than "does anybody need this, I think it sucks".

As to relying on other people whether you'll like something or not ...

SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• So should I crack open this Chi Coltrane LP?

First time I saw a Chi Coltrane record I got this funny feeling (must've been my ill record divining rod gone astray) and scooped it up. I got home, listened to it, and felt that hollow no-heat feeling you get from a bullshit record. I thought it was gonna be like the funky Ruth Copeland-esque illegitimate daughter of John Coltrane. More like a Coal Train, big and stinky.

SonicReducer

(TEAMAARON)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

First time I saw a Chi Coltrane record I got this funny feeling (must've been my ill record divining rod gone astray) and scooped it up. I got home, listened to it, and felt that hollow no-heat feeling you get from a bullshit record. I thought it was gonna be like the funky Ruth Copeland-esque illegitimate daughter of John Coltrane. More like a Coal Train, big and stinky.

SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

Caffeine set in yet, Aaron?

You're absolutely right, that's why I included my "reactionary question" excuse. Dude did say there might be someone who appreciates it more than him. True. But will they appreciate it any less if it's opened? Does the music sound different if you're the first to open it? No, it's just worth less dollar-wise. I'm probably comin' down on the wrong dude, and I apologize for that, it's just there seems to be a lot more of "is this rare?", "how much is this worth?", and "how much can I get for this?" rather than "does anybody need this, I think it sucks".

SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

that's cool, dude is a friend of mine so my response is reactionary too since I'm pretty sure he's NEVER sold a record on Ebay. He's a good dude that loves music just as much as anyone on here. He's on this board because I told him he needs to be on here cause there's some serious knowledge to soak up...then dude asks a simple question and gets "reactionary responses"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "Are we trying to sell records or run a museum?".

Seriously.

It's Kim Weston, its on Volt. Do you like soul music? If you have not heard it crack it open and put it on, how bad could it be?

In truth I remember always being kind of disapointed by it, but it's been so long I can't remember any details.

Still you need to listen to it. It is a $15.00 record SS and a $12.00 NM, so it cost $3.00 to listen to it, and it's worth every penny of that.

Dan

SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

that's cool, dude is a friend of mine so my response is reactionary too since I'm pretty sure he's NEVER sold a record on Ebay. He's a good dude that loves music just as much as anyone on here. He's on this board because I told him he needs to be on here cause there's some serious knowledge to soak up...then dude asks a simple question and gets "reactionary responses"

He should be happy he got such a robust response!
    Shit I post something an it falls off the bottom of the boards within the hour!

• Caffeine set in yet, Aaron?

almost there Raj, couple more cups and I'll be sweet as a kitten.

• yeah, i can understand how my question might be seen as stupid,but here's the deal.I collect records to spin and listen to.I'm definatly more on the dj end then the collector end..Many of the records i get are in bad condition but i could care less if they play good.Shit i even found a donald bird in the street once with no cover and that shits gets heavy rotation..anyways,basically i was just asking cuz i know there's alot of collecters on here and i thought that maybe someone would appreciate a sealed copy of this more then me,in the case that i open it and don't really dig at much as say that Emotions record on volt that i want. Anyways i did get it cuz i like that volt soul stuff but i never heard her so, i just wish i knew what it was like before i crack it,but i probably will either way..but thanks for the responses either way..and Daze,i actually have sold quite a few jointz on ebay!!lol, peace y'all

and Daze,i actually have sold quite a few jointz on ebay!!lol

no you haven't, shutup. haha

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Maybe I'm just a product of my environment

hahah. this actually popped in my head while i was reading your original post... you been in that spot for a while now, aaron.

i agree with you though... if the record was interesting enough to pick up in the first place, why not "go all the way" and listen to it too. It's the only way you'll know what it sounds like and judge it accordingly w/ your own taste in music as the reference point.

but don't get me wrong, i'm just as greasy as the next guy with this stuff... so i'm certain i've asked about whether to crack the seal on an lp before... but it has always been about the pursuit of music for me... and always will be... until i finally break down and do this full time which ain't gonna happen any time soon (or will it?).

BTW: not so into that Kim Weston
    BTW2: some folks reseal their records which is pretty whack.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    what you can always do is go search for it on GEMM.... and see what type of prices come up. If you see 20 EX or VG+ copies for 10 or less... you can pretty much assume its safe to crack that mugg

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I found a burrito that looks still sealed, is it safe to eat?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think it's Jose Ole brand? The printing is a bit worn though, can't say for sure...

Can I get a matrix #???