cleaning crusty gross sleeves?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I had a couple of finds last week that were housed in some gross sleeves. They were stinking up my home, and making me paranoid so I had to trash them. They were water damaged, and then left to sit amongst other old crusty records, it was like I adopted Linus from the Peanuts. Anyone have any advice on materials/methods for cleaning the damn things?b/wWTF is up with putting vinyl in cardboard? Cardboard decays so readily, fusking toxic packaging really ruins the experience. Free Masons at work, foiling the record game?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If they are actually mold eaten there's nothing to be done.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    nah, these didn't have mold, just mad disintegrated cardboard, and water damage warping.

• Ok it sounds a bit stupid, but I read somewhere that a light spray of febreeze in the album cover usually does the trick, then to dry out the sleeve put in in the microwave for about 10 seconds, unfortunately most people don't have a large enough microwave.
    T

• Options

the tender ones are the ones with a part of the label still hanging out. ===>TLC :-)

also after a long time in storage, sometime the vinyl sweats like a rusty oil. deionized water works well for this.

check out the office supply store for erasers too!

i used to have friends up on this type stuff, they taught me.

• Living in the Humboldt rainforest means mold as a condition of life. Digging here means discovering good records in trashed sleeves. I've left Tjader, Coltrane, Black Ivory, and many more at tag sales because the condition was so bad.

But a few (rare) mildew sparkled wonders come home with me. As far as I know sunlight and alcohol are the best mold killers.

I spray sleeve down with mild vodka water solution, quickly wipe with paper towel, or (if sunny) set sleeves (take records OUT) in the sunlight then wipe as above.

Worst was a Mose Allison record (seventh son) that I just abandoned the sleeve & brought home the naked record.