Elections in El Salvador (FMLN vs ARENA)

Comments

• I've been going down there the last few years and it's good news the FMLN candidate could potentially take office for once

b/w

• Yeah I went down in X-mas of 2007. All my family is there so I've been trying to e-mail them to get some information.

Personally I'm torn since half of my family has ties to Arena while I have cousins who fought and been killed during the revolution. There are three extreme degrees of class, The Super rich/old movey, the working check-to-check folks, and lastly the thousands of impoverished.

Yes I agree that there has to be something done economically for the struggling class but I'm wondering can the FMLN do it? There's waaaaaay too much political partisanship there especially with a history that still is still fresh in many minds.

Lastly, I'm wondering if the U.S. will do anything at all and if Latin American will be the new hot bed.

• Yeah I went down in X-mas of 2007. All my family is there so I've been trying to e-mail them to get some information.

Personally I'm torn since half of my family has ties to Arena while I have cousins who fought and been killed during the revolution. There are three extreme degrees of class, The Super rich/old movey, the working check-to-check folks, and lastly the thousands of impoverished.

Yes I agree that there has to be something done economically for the struggling class but I'm wondering can the FMLN do it? There's waaaaaay too much political partisanship there especially with a history that still is still fresh in many minds.

Lastly, I'm wondering if the U.S. will do anything at all and if Latin American will be the new hot bed.

Yea everyone I'm with down there had taken part in the revolution and is in the impoverished degree you mention, just hoping for the best. It's also nearly the anniversary of the murder of Oscar Romero, Archbishop of San Salvador.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Romero
    It is believed that the assassins were members of Salvadoran death squads. This view was supported in 1993 by an official U.N. report, which identified the man who ordered the killing as former Major Roberto D'Aubuisson.[11] He had also planned to overthrow the government in a coup. Later he founded the political party Nationalist Republican Alliance (ARENA), and organized death squads that systematically carried out politically-motivated assassinations and other human rights abuses in El Salvador.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    If this election follows the trend of the past few years in other Latino countries its more then likely that FMLN get in, but then depends what stance they take will determine what response they get.
    If they get too close to Hugo Chavez and Castro then the US and EU countries will distance themselves at the very least, intervine economically and polticaaly at the most extreme.
    If they take a centre left stance and say we will do for the people but without f*cking with big business like Lula in Brazil and Bachalet in Chile they will get more investment but will catch flack from the people.

Getting into power is the first step then you have to take on the vested foreign and local intrests and the local caudillos. Morales had the backing of most of Bolivia but a small minority has been able to create division and unrest.

Its a hard balance for the new left parties to walk, especially the ones that come from a guerrilla origins, because if they don't play the game they dont get the money to fund their progressive policies, but if those policies go challenge the power of the elites they become a target.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I don't know anything about the election, so excuse my ignorance, but I thought I'd let everyone know that apparently this was posted on CNN.com last night

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    if you dont know what youre talking about, its not a good look to judge based on your prejudices.

as with most of the leftist political pendulum swing of recent years, id say its worth being guardedly hopeful and optimistic.

so, good look

I judged nothing, just saw that image on a blog and remembered this thread, thought people would be interested.

No disrespect intended, proud 'leftist' here. I just thought having chief wiggum representing that story was kinda foul...

oh....ha. gotcha.

im so dumb i didnt even notice wiggum. what position could ralph be appointed to?

Calling ignorant and shit! I admitted that upfront, can't catch a break around here

I'm gonna go with Secretary Of Transportation, or at least something involving trains..

LOL!!! one of the best episodes ever!!!