Austin accomodation (ARC related)

SoundclashSoundclash 77 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I will be attending the record convention in a few weeks. I??ve never been to Austin before (in fact it will be my second trip to the States ever! -I??m based in Madrid btw-) and I dont feel like staying at any of those hwy motels recommended on the ARC organization site since I dont think I??ll be renting a car and would also like to have a taste of the city.I??d very much appreciate any recommendations about downtown Austin accomodation, nice areas to hang around and also tips on ARC itself!! I have been asking around and been given some mixed opinions about the record convention...We have a tiny record fair in Madrid this afternoon that will probably be crap but will keep my fingers busy for a few hours... A nice warming up for ARC though...!!Thanks!!

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    North Austin Plaza hotel...use Priceline.com to get the best deal. It's not a highway motel and you will see dealers/celebrity diggeurs there ("Pffft, John Manship used to work for me!")

You should go to the Bat bridge...downtown Austin at sunset tons of bats fly out from underneath the bridge...pretty fun.

You should stop by Friends of Sound records and talk to anyone who works there, but especially Dave. Lots of great records and good people hanging around who will point you in the right direction. Just in general people are really friendly, don't be shy asking for directions or recommendations.

The taqueria in the way back of the Mexican shopping mall is legit and cheap. I mean if you're coming from abroad I would basically just eat Mexican food and texas BBQ/fried stuff the entire trip.

What's the name of the legendary restaurant that you've been taking folks to for years Rich? Great classic Texas food...fried chicken is so big they gotta serve it on a cafeteria lunch tray.

I'm sure Holmes can give you more suggestions in terms of things to see and visit as a foreigner...

Good luck!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

What's the name of the legendary restaurant that you've been taking folks to for years Rich? Great classic Texas food...fried chicken is so big they gotta serve it on a cafeteria lunch tray.

Hoover's

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I will be attending the record convention in a few weeks. I??ve never been to Austin before (in fact it will be my second trip to the States ever! -I??m based in Madrid btw-) and I dont feel like staying at any of those hwy motels recommended on the ARC organization site since I dont think I??ll be renting a car and would also like to have a taste of the city.

I??d very much appreciate any recommendations about downtown Austin accomodation, nice areas to hang around and also tips on ARC itself!! I have been asking around and been given some mixed opinions about the record convention...

We have a tiny record fair in Madrid this afternoon that will probably be crap but will keep my fingers busy for a few hours... A nice warming up for ARC though...!!

Thanks!!
    Hey, we stayed here La Quinta Capital: 300 E 11th St
    It was great & an easy walk to the bars & restaurants etc down by Red River. If I were you I would seriously think about transport, we had a car with GPS navigation & I cannot recommend it highly enough. Unless you have a rental car or a friend to drive you around Austin you will be screwed. ARC is miles from the city centre & other things like the Bat Bridge, Friends of Sound & Barton Park are all at other ends of the city. ARC is awesome, but you will def want to go into the city to check all the other things out. Some stuff that we enjoyed as a visitor other than ARC was swimming in the springs at Barton Park (or whatever those springs there are called), Friends of Sound Records (the only store I needed to go to), there is a sweet Tex Mex restaurant by the ampitheatre at the corner of Red River & E 11th, Stubbs BBQ on Red River was also yum, sunday morning gospel brunch at Threadgills was cool. Austin is a sweet city & you'll have a great time.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Spent the last few days in Austin at the Texas High School Basketball Tourney.... Hoovers is a must....the sausage and chicken gumbo I had this afternoon was sick....El Polvo on 1st Street for Mexican Seafood....make sure to check out an "Espadita"....it's about 5 minutes from FOS....ask GP for directions.....the Mexican restaurant in the Convention Center is a fave too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    And the Austin North Plaza is the truth...clean rooms....good shower......$52.00 for a double.