Anyone heard of the Ligaya label??? (aisus-R)

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I recently came across a 45 on eBay on the Ligaya label by Melveen Reed. The record happens to be a song by Hawaiian singer Melveen Leed, recorded in the mid-60's for a label called Ligaya. What makes this different is that the label says the song was recorded in Hollywood. I am hoping to get an interview with Miss Leed for a book project I'm doing, but I'm curious of any of you have any other 45's (or albums if there were any) on Ligaya. Here are label scans, with MP3's for each song when you right click.After finding out about this, I found another Ligaya 45 at GEMM:Tony Costillo Mahalco/Dahil Saiyo (L5000)[/b]This should be arriving as well. I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with the label, or Ligaya J. Rea, or anything. If it's a California-based label, perhaps there is an L5001 or L5003.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Another Ligaya 45 came in today (right click each label scan and "save" each MP3)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

These are Filipino songs, or more specifically Tagalog. I don't know what he's singing but apparently both are listed as being "traditional folk love songs". It still hasn't lead me to Melveen Leed yet or how she made it to this label, but hopefully I'll find out. With luck, I'll discover any other 45's on Ligaya.