Vel Bakardi (texas rap again????)

Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
edited March 2005 in Strut Central
ok all this talk about texas rap got me thinking about this cd i picked up in El Paso around 1996 or so by some rapper called Vel Bakardi (i think it was spelled with a k). I picked it up on a whim because it looked like it was about drinking, and then wound up listening to it on repeat the whole way back to Dallas. It wasn't the greatest record, but for some reason I enjoyed it. I cant remember the name of the CD either.Anybody know of this guy? mp3s maybe?

Comments

• Nevermind... found it. It's Vell Bakardi, and the album was "Genuine Liqua Hits".

no wonder i picked it up. hahahaha.

• And also it wasn't texas either I guess. oops.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yeah, I thought he was from somewhere in Cali. Vallejo?

• Don't know about the TX connection, but that album
    has always been a personal downlow fave.
    Some of the production on there is pretty forward-thinking
    (IMO), and the singles are good.

• Kansas City... I think....

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    he's a Kansas city dude.....there is a Cali connection somewhere but i cant remember what it is.....one of my favorite albums from that time period

• yeah, thats the same article i just read that straightened me out. I like that last part about Rick Rubin, and how his new shit is gonna be like the first time you heard Beasties, Run DMC, and shit. Thats aiming pretty high, but GOOD. rappers SHOULD aim high, otherwise whats the fucking point of making a record, right?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Who's the rest of ya'll favorite Texas rappers who aren't really from Texas? Mine's Kid Frost.

• Who's the rest of ya'll favorite Texas rappers who aren't really from Texas? Mine's Kid Frost.

Mine is Texas Backpacker Hippy group "Shitkickable Planets".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    from KC...recorded "drink with me" and a few other tracks in Oakland. Lev Berlack/tone capone @ the Grill (producer for richie rich/3x's crazy/dru down) are the yay area link.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I never bought that album but I remember the ads in rap pages and for some reason i always thought he was from chicago

I don't know where I got that idea but I never wanted to bother because I thought it was going to be some generic chicago rap like Subway

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Took nine years after first asking but I finally get to hear this song again.

I love youtube.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Director: "so in the first verse, the treatment calls for an overhead shot of you inside of a giant paper bag. I know, dope right. But it gets better. It's gonna kinda look like your inside a giant rectum too, which is hot because you know, the song is sort about your life being shitty, so it's like a double meaning."