travel blogs - euro related (NRR)

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
a second Soulstrut request for advice in a week. i am obviously running out of people i trust in the real world.can any of you dudes/ettes drop knowledge on some good travel blogs/websites for trips to Europe? i figure such a cultured bunch of folks probably have some good leads.my girl and i would like to take a trip to Europe here in a few months, and we are looking for good leads on possible places to try and visit. we've both been to Europe in a limited capacity before, but are hardly well traveled on that continent. we're not trying to cross the continent in 7 days or take a thousand photos of the Eiffel Tower, but nor are we looking to go just chill in Ibiza or Amsterdam (no disrespect to all the Ibiza Strutters).right now our aim is one of the following areas, each of which have places we would like to see/explore-Portugal/Spain/Morocco-Greece/Croatia/Hungary-Germany/Czechalso, if any of you have 'must see' raers/hidden gems that you think should be checked out in the aforementioned countries or, conversely reasons to avoid said areas, i would very much appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.thanksj_nathan

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    How much time do you have ? When will you be there ?

What tickles your fancy ? Portugal vs Croatia is 1-1 in my book, hard choice...

• For food, nothing fucks with Chowhound.
    They make this place seem tame by opinionated comparison.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    we are aiming either late June or late September. to make sure our funds are in order and get some bang for our buck, we may choose the latter.

we'd like to pull around 2 weeks (incl. travel), but our goal would be to GET FAMILIAR with a few countries as opposed to just hot stopping a lot of different spots.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    late september 10 days of portugal + morocco or spain weekender seems nice
    i covered everything north of lisbon some years ago

you just have to know if you can live with scrapping eastern europe

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I can't really hip you to any blogs with a formula on what to see, but I can say that getting info out of people you know (in some capacity) is more helpful than trying to parse out if someone named "worldtravlr089" on some blog/forum is some midwestern girl who just returned from a semester abroad, or some hardcore traveler.

If you really want to get a feel for a country or two, you'll find that the shoulder-season (September-October) will be less crowded, and perhaps a bit cheaper. Do you or your girl speak any other languages? That should help you decide too.

You're Iberian Peninsula plan looks good. A lot of differences between Portugal, and the different regions of Spain Basque Country, Catalan, Castilla & Andalusia. Well worth checking all of them out.

Greece is sort of removed from Croatia & Hungary, and that might involve more travel trying to mix those three together. Hungary's economy is kind of crushed right now, which is sad for them, but might be good for you as a traveler. Croatia is beautiful and relatively cheap. Plus there are roman ruins all over the place, if that is your thing. There is a lot to see and do for good value in those two countries.

Also, if you find, or anyone else has, some useful info on Morocco, I could use it (Honeymoon in late June related). I've got a friend from Nador who gave me the skinny on a few places to visit & a few to avoid, but the non-native perspective is also welcomed.