Complaints about professors.

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
How are these best addressed for the academic strutters out there? I have several legitimate complaints about a professor I have right now and actually am pissed off enough about it to do something about it. Email/meeting/letter to department chair/dean/?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Actually, F*ck this fool. Dude ain't even a professor, he's an instructor.

• Options

What did he do?

Are there others in your class who feel the same way? If so, you may be able to do something.

• I'd email the department head and ask him or her the best way to proceed. If they need something more formal, they will tell you.

Or ask you adviser, if you have one.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    My main beef with him on top of being incomptent is the text book he "authored." He stated that it was mandatory in the syllabus so I bought it without question (and not knowing he authored it) and haven't had a need to open it until now. The f*cking thing is Powerpoint slide handouts published in a book.

Usually with something like this, professors will send that shit to Kinko's or some local copier for students to pick up for like 5 bucks. The whole thing could probably be shared on university webspace and be like 50mb at the most. Paying $90 for this book along with some bullshit online content is completely and totally ridiculous and had I known beforehand I would have not taken the class just on general principle.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Hey Brian I've had to work through this before.

1) Email the professor in a very polite way, outlining whatever issues you have. This should come after you've already spoken in person to him/her, and only serves to be used as evidence that you have made yourself clear in a polite and respectful way.
    2) Assuming things aren't resolved, setup an appointment with an adviser.
    3) If the meeting with the adviser is insufficent, then proceed to the department chair. But understand that a lot of morons have already tried doing this incompetently, and you're talking to an ally of the teacher in question, so be careful what you say. Department chairs hate these meetings and faculty will protect their own like children.

There's only so much you can do though if what the professor is doing doesn't explicitly violate university policy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Normally I would want to talk to the person before snitching on them but I kinda want to pass this class and don't want to deal with any kind of appeal shit later on.

• Options
    Hey Brian I've had to work through this before.

1) Email the professor in a very polite way, outlining whatever issues you have. This should come after you've already spoken in person to him/her, and only serves to be used as evidence that you have made yourself clear in a polite and respectful way.
    2) Assuming things aren't resolved, setup an appointment with an adviser.
    3) If the meeting with the adviser is insufficent, then proceed to the department chair. But understand that a lot of morons have already tried doing this incompetently, and you're talking to an ally of the teacher in question, so be careful what you say. Department chairs hate these meetings and faculty will protect their own like children.

There's only so much you can do though if what the professor is doing doesn't explicitly violate university policy.

If after all this you get nowhere, put his ass on blast. Talk to other students in your class and get the word out about Dr. Fucko

Use http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/

Write him a note about how pathetic his coursebook is and get people in your class to sign it.

None of this will help you immediately, but it may force him to stop his bullshit, and it may make future students reconsider taking his class.

Good luck.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Brian,

On top of the other advice you've received, I must add that you need to make sure you're a credible "complaintant." What I mean is that if you're a bullshittin', class-cutting, and/or failing student your complaint won't be taken seriously, but perceived as "sour grapes" by the department chair, or by bodies convened to hear your case formally (if it goes that far). Only you know the answer to this concern but I thought, in good conscience, I should put you up on the knowledge. This is coming from a person who has served on school-wide academic grievance committees. Cats with a 'D' in the class usually lost miserably.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Yeah, definitely took that into consideration. I'm not the greatest student in the world but all my test grades are good. I think I'm going to email the department head and try to schedule a meeting and see from there. Thanks everyone.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So basically dude is makin money directly from the "book" purchase?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Conflict of interest!!! Rutgers has very strict rules about adopting your own textbooks for classes. I couldn't fleece my students like that in good conscience.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If dude isn't making money off some shit that got his name on it then he's a bigger chump than I originally thought, haha.

I've had professors at this campus that have had their name stamped on a "University of Hawaii edition" of a regular textbook. I had no problems with this because one of them included all of the notes from his lecture and it ended up being cheaper because he stripped out all the chapters that he didn't cover. I'm okay with the professor making money off a book for their class (even though shits definitely shady) if the textbook is actually useful. This is definitely not the case.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Conflict of interest!!! Rutgers has very strict rules about adopting your own textbooks for classes. I couldn't fleece my students like that in good conscience.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Can a musical artist that teaches a College course require his/her album as mandatory listening?

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Yeah, doesnt speak well to the man personally. Most of my fellow instructors (no tenure) try to minimize the cost of books/materials for students. Ya know, rather than putting together one of those books at the copy store, just putting all that stuff online and letting the students pick and choose what they want to print.

That said, I dunno how much complaining will help you in the current semester, but I'm sure future students will appreciate the warning.

Hey Batmon,

I'm not sure about that one, but they definitely monitor whether profs use their own textbooks in a course.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

This is seriously what 75% of the book is except it's 6 to a page and different subject matter.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    weaksauce.

i learned too late to read ll my books on reserve, or get them on interlibrary loan or used (last resorT). if i like the books, i buy them toward the end of the course...off the other students is always an option.

i got 3 classes this semester and spent $50.

dr.fucko for real. i love the Q&A page

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Haha, that ain't his shit but it ain't far off from what he came up with. Seriously worthless garbage.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to email the department head saying that I have some concerns over the text issued for a course I'm taking and that I would just like to clarify the department's requirements and stance on text for its courses and ask to schedule an appointment.

Also deeply disappointed in Odub's lack of participation in this thread so far.

id be more concerned that he is a crappy teacher
    i thought it was the norm for teachers to assign their books

i have 2 great courses righ tnow and one shit course. i am seriously considering tweaking two old papers of mine for the two we gotta write for this class. is that unprofessional? stacks?

i am seriously considering tweaking two old papers of mine for the two we gotta write for this class. is that unprofessional? stacks?

You know that's foul, Tripledouble. See, I ask my colleagues whether a student has written a particular paper for their classes. If so, then I give the student an 'F'. Profs communicate about these things so I hope you don't get caught.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

oof

the guys teaching the course arent part of the department...they just come in every other year to teach this course. twould still be risky.

but isnt it my work in the first place? or is it violating a "double dipping" code? F*ck!!!!!!!!!
    these guys put so little effort into this shit, i feel like im just following suit

the guys teaching the course arent part of the department...they just come in every other year to teach this course. twould still be risky.

but isnt it my work in the first place? or is it violating a "double dipping" code? F*ck!!!!!!!!!
    these guys put so little effort into this shit, i feel like im just following suit

The problem is that you cheat yourself out of the additional learning opportunity available from researching a topic (or topics) to write an original paper. Knowing more won't hurt you and all you lose is some time and effort. But I forgot, higher "education"[/b] is becoming a misnomer. We sell credentials these days, most cats don't give a F*ck about learning.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

awww, dont get disillusioned buddy!!! its just a time issue with me...i have three courses, plus two incomplete papers to finish up, move into a house i just finished rehabbing (me and pops did all the work), gotta gc rehab of another house, and i have some time flexible job responsibilities in my face once again. shit is crazy!!!

but i feel you. i wish i had much more undiluted time to read write and think.

oh yeah...soulstrut is a major responsibiltiy too

awww, dont get disillusioned buddy!!! its just a time issue with me...i have three courses, plus two incomplete papers to finish up, move into a house i just finished rehabbing (me and pops did all the work), gotta gc rehab of another house, and i have some time flexible job responsibilities in my face once again. shit is crazy!!!

but i feel you. i wish i had much more undiluted time to read write and think.

oh yeah...soulstrut is a major responsibiltiy too

Pardon my rant, man, it's just sad how so credential- and grade-possessed students are these days. Only about 5-10% of them truly want to learn, while the rest are all about getting a credential and a job. Shit, for me, 'A' still equals excellent. But, if they knew more, they might be more attractive job applicants. Wow, imagine that!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i got into this whole masters program cause of free tuition...flat out. but right now, the courses i have mapped out are directly impacting my short term future projects. ive realized that my capstone can be about what i was dreaming of physically (as opposed to intellectually) doing anyway. ive also noticed many many students who are in it for the expertise that can be imparted and gleaned...and not hung up on some grade nonsense.

then again,many are on some brown nosing suck the professors balls type shit cause they realize how important networking with them can be. thats kind of corny imo, but i know its part of the game.

finally, education isnt only done in academic institutions. my education is ongoing in this life...but inthis particular setting, there is a credential at the end which is important in its own right.

i dont know if any of tha tmade sense, but im not reading it over and i gotta go to sleep. i love soulstrut education threads. wish some of the other heads were on here to chime in.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I've had a couple instructors specifically mention that reusing a prior paper is considered 'plagarizing' which is kinda bullshit since it doesn't fit the definition as I understand it. I would think it's up to the professor if it isn't specifically in the honor code for the school though.

• the guys teaching the course arent part of the department...they just come in every other year to teach this course. twould still be risky.

I've had a couple instructors specifically mention that reusing a prior paper is considered 'plagarizing' which is kinda bullshit since it doesn't fit the definition as I understand it. I would think it's up to the professor if it isn't specifically in the honor code for the school though.

I don't know if I would define it as plagarizing (since you wrote it) but it certainly is intellectually dishonest and if you are attending college and you attempt to cut corners on enriching your own learning then you are playin' yourself.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    In the real world you re-use shit all the time. Why re-invent the wheel? When I have to write a trip report I take an old one and change the details to make it current. Anytime we develop anything we start off with something we already did and go from there.

So Tony, its just good life experience.