Free Association-Album Style (Part 2)

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,I'm stubborn! I figure I try the "free association" exercise again. The game will proceed as follows:1. Strutter names an LP title (I'll start below).2. Another Strutter will respond with the his/her first thought(s) on the LP.3. After responding, the Strutter should enter another LP title him- or herself.4. The process repeats (until we get tired of doing it).I'll begin:-"Natural Illusion"-Bobby Hutcherson.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• 'Good Vibes'- Natural Four

As this is an association exercise, it was the 'natural,' association.
    Plus, one of my favorite sweet soul albums.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Kitchen Knight,

What is (are) your thought(s) on "Natural Illusion" by Bobby Hutcherson? This should be what your comment is about. Then after your comment, name another LP of your choice. The LP you name doesn't have to be associated with the previously named album.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I love this idea, but unfortunately, I haven't had the privilege of hearing "Natural Illusion" by Bobby Hutcherson. Based on what I know -- early 1970s, Blue Note, Hutcherson, orchestration -- it sounds like a lush record that I would probably like a lot. But since I have yet to come across this record, I haven't heard it. So I'll leave it to someone else to add on their thoughts on Natural Illusion.

Since I don't have coherent thoughts on the subject, I'll leave it there without adding another album name. SOmeone who has more developed understanding of "Natural Illusion"... add on!

Peace,
    JRoot

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Hey,

I'm stubborn! I figure I try the "free association" exercise again. The game will proceed as follows:

1. Strutter names an LP title (I'll start below).
    2. Another Strutter will respond with the his/her first thought(s) on the LP.
    3. After responding, the Strutter should enter another LP title him- or herself.
    4. The process repeats (until we get tired of doing it).

I'll begin:

-"Natural Illusion"-Bobby Hutcherson.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

doesnt anyone care about the rules anymore???!?!

natural illusion...weird artistic cover and big ol break burried deep on one of the sides (last song i believe). yes i only care about breaks

eddie kendricks- people hold on

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm stubborn! I figure I try the "free association" exercise again. The game will proceed as follows:

1. Strutter names an LP title (I'll start below).
    2. Another Strutter will respond with the his/her first thought(s) on the LP.
    3. After responding, the Strutter should enter another LP title him- or herself.
    4. The process repeats (until we get tired of doing it).

I'll begin:

-"Natural Illusion"-Bobby Hutcherson.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

doesnt anyone care about the rules anymore???!?!

natural illusion...weird artistic cover and big ol break burried deep on one of the sides (last song i believe). yes i only care about breaks

eddie kendricks- people hold on

Great record, one that I play on the regular. This LP showcased Eddie's talent really well.

-"A Space in Time"-Ten Years After

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

never heard it, but isnt it on the deram label? i really want this other deram joint called sound of sunforest

teagarden and vanwinkle live at home

stacks, i dontknow about this game...
    id rather read your career and relationship advice

Yeah, Tripdubs, the thread is dying a horrible death. Again, it seemed cool in my mind, but the concept didn't translate well. I tried...

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    How about someone names an album, then the next person names another album that reminds them of the previous, whether it's based off the the title, the artist or the music itself. Or better yet, it can be based off a personal experience (with a brief explanation, of course).

It'd be interesting to see the range we would span.

• the thread is dying a horrible death.

lol- you know it was bad when the 2nd post was a derailment!

i'll just say that although i'm a die-hard Hutcherson fan, Natty Illusions is my LEAST favorite of his from the 'good' years. and that 10 Years After brings back memories- i had that as a kid and hadn't thought about it for a looong time. i have no idea if i'd like it anymore but i do recall being pretty into them back then. Their guitarist (was it Alvin Lee?) was a badass

oh, and: Max Roach- Members Don't get Weary

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I like this idea. I'll play.

Max Roach- Members Don't get Weary

I actually didn't get around to buying a vinyl copy of "Members..." until after Max Roach's death in 2007, but I had it on CD before that. Gorgeous album, jazz perfection. All the players kill it, but I always bug out on the performances from Max himself and Jymie Merritt (underrated!) when I listen to it. Merritt's bassline on "Absolutions" is so damn heavy and is one of my benchmarks for the ideal fender bass sound.

On a Roach-related side note I just found a minty german microgroove pressing of "We Insist - Freedom Now". Another heavy album of his, and that copy is gonna do just fine until I come across an OG on Candid some day.

R.I.P. Max.

OK, next association. Since Andy Bey sings on the title track of "Members...", that made me think of:

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

A few years ago I became convinced that there was a whole goldmine of slightly out there, spaced out jazz/funk that had yet to be tapped. I never really had any evidence of this but Andy Bey was one of the albums that sent me off on this tangent and was ironically one of the very few albums in this self categorised field that I ever actually found to be decent.

Since the hunt was fruitless I ended up stuck with the few releases that sent me on the path in the first place, one of them being:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I was commisioned to play records at an "afro-futurism" event around 2 months ago where a professor from Oslo University was giving a lecture on Sun Ra. The whole thing was a bit academic for my tastes, but it was fun nonetheless and I got to play loads of Ra tunes as well as a lot of tracks by other artists, from Larry Young to Drexciya. Among those was "Leaving This Planet". Still a great track.

The same night I also played "Unseen Letter" from:

Gonna be some space rapp haters up in here now

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hey Big Stacks

it's a neat idea for a thread, but maybe could do with naming 5 albums per go.
    Then at least we have a stab at someone on the board having something meaningful to say about one of them.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The same night I also played "Unseen Letter" from:

Gonna be some space rapp haters up in here now

I fux w/ this big time. One of my favorite album covers evar. That pyramid fold out is crazy.

And the instrumental album is crazy as well.

ill add......