test pressing mystery - help??

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
i picked up a columbia records test pressing a while ago with zero info, and it is totally stumping all my efforts to figure out what album it is. it looks anywhere from mid 70s to early 80s. the label says: "columbia record productions santa maria test pressing"and then the block of warning text at the bottom. this looks just like other columbia test pressings ive seen. theres no writing anywhere.the index # appears to be T455 on the cover, M455 on the dead wax. the full matrix #s areM455ASRE-1 TML-M 1AM455BSRE-1 TML-M 1Bthe music is basically soul with some pop mixed in. its a female vocalist, likely black, with a gritty almost gruff voice (cigarette vox) that can be fairly mellow and sweet on the slow songs. at times an odd, slightly euro accent.my best guess so far based on a ton of googling and wikipedia-ing is Precious Wilson. but i cant find a tracklist of hers that matches this one, and i dont know her other stuff well, so i cant compare. i dont know all the titles, but heres my best guesses:A1 Dynamite / right on the nightA2 thats the kind of love i got for youA3 licking stick (cover)A4 He opened his heart and he let me drown (partial duet w/ male guest vocalist)A5 Dancing In the street (cover)B1 change my evil waysB2 when you hold meB3 hold on im coming (cover)B4 looking for as loving manB5 stardust in my souldoes this ring even a tiny bell with anyone? its amazing i cant sort it out what with no less than 3 major cover songs on it, plus the matrix #s. but thats the bag im in... anyone??? thanks..

Comments