UK folks buying up Detroit Houses (RR)

2»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Once we've bought up Detroit we're renaming it Chillingfield-on-SeaTM

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Anthony Pierson

I always wondered wheat happened to him...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Last year a whole gang (I mean well over a hundred) of traders from my financial company talked about pooling their bonuses (i.e. well over $200m) and buying up whole tracts of abandoned/unliveable accomodation on and around the Detroit waterfront. Their idea was to develop it into a secure holiday environment for older people. Then they sobered up. And then some of them got canned.

thats funny as hell.

top 3 arguments against buying in detroit: location location location

hate to say it, but that citys got an uphill struggle facing it. people really gotta brainstorm and invent another reason to repopulate it or its going to be a foreign owned ghost town.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Detroit is a dump, and the city council is out of control. I feel sorry for anybody who has the misfortune of having to live there.

Just youtube "Detroit City Council" and take your pick. It would be funny if you could forget that these people are in charge and that the citizens of Detroit are the ones paying the price. Your tax dollars hard at work.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Detroit is a dump, and the city council is out of control. I feel sorry for anybody who has the misfortune of having to live there.

Just youtube "Detroit City Council" and take your pick. It would be funny if you could forget that these people are in charge and that the citizens of Detroit are the ones paying the price. Your tax dollars hard at work.

oh good lord

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The money's in getting ahold of the large turn of the century, abandoned homes in the core of the city and salvaging all the hardwood trim/ handrails/ doors/staircases. You can't get that shit anymore... it breaks my heart, as someone who works with wood, driving through D and seeing those homes left to rot since the riots.
    My social conscience winces at the idea of further gutting of that city's infrastructure, but as roofs collapse these places are simply rotting into the ground.
    STRIP N' FLIP. I like!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Last year a whole gang (I mean well over a hundred) of traders from my financial company talked about pooling their bonuses (i.e. well over $200m) and buying up whole tracts of abandoned/unliveable accomodation on and around the Detroit waterfront. Their idea was to develop it into a secure holiday environment for older people. Then they sobered up. And then some of them got canned.

thats funny as hell.

top 3 arguments against buying in detroit: location location location

hate to say it, but that citys got an uphill struggle facing it. people really gotta brainstorm and invent another reason to repopulate it or its going to be a foreign owned ghost town.

Maybe they need to get Eminem on the tube to do some spruikin...

Or they could bring in Iraqi immigrants to populate the city... from the descriptions of Detriot Im reading on SS I think the Iraqi's will feel right at home....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline Pics from time.

Time's Pics Here

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

That's the mindset of the city council, and thats why everything is so f&%ked up.

• Detroitblogger John been done doing this for years now>>> http://www.detroitblog.org/

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline Pics from time.

Time's Pics Here

That shit is heartbreaking. It looks like Kiddofspeed's pictures of Chernobyl. What a waste. Shit. Goddamn. Muhfucka.

So Detroit has gone from Motown to No town!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    There is probably a goldmine of Herman Miller and Eames furniture in that city right now.

If I collected vintage home stuff like that I would be all over it right now.

I could use one of those wood-backed leather Eames classics with the foot stool like somebodies bizzniz.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The insane thing about Detroit is that this has been going on for decades. I mean, you run into old people there and they go "oh, I remember back before the riots this city was beautiful". The riots were in 1967.

Some of the stories I've heard about the 90s in Detroit are INSANE.

• Some of the stories I've heard about the 90s in Detroit are INSANE.

Oh yeah? Let's hear 'em!

The riots were in 1967.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Just youtube "Detroit City Council"

oh man... I wish I hadn't done this...

• The retro furniture buy up has been going on forever Nate, slim pickings these days.

But for real, Detroit rules I think about moving back all the time. If you don't want to have kids, but like buying records and living cheap- it's great!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Where things are at in Detroit can be found between the lines in this auction Brad's just thrown up:

Lyman Check

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    this got me thinking and talking to folks about the Detroit Urban Explorer guy who found all of those great flyers for the Hippie-Commune-Gone-Uptown-apartment complex circa 1970's Detroit.
    Cant seem to find the pics anywhere on my computer or on the website.
    Did anybody happen to save these and could you post them up if you did?

• this has been going on for decades.

For real - the abandonment of Detroit has been ongoing for 40+ years now.

I've seen the train station and it is f*cking incredible to witness as this massive, "empty" civic space.

Where things are at in Detroit can be found between the lines in this auction Brad's just thrown up:

Lyman Check

thats just bizarre on so many levels....

but why would anyone write a check out to themselves?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

That middle-schooler is .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGxiGdwngNY
    I challenge anyone to post proof of a bigger idiot in American public life. Dubya has nothing on Conyers.

Check her "pitch" for Detroit at 4:05 in the interview.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    but why would anyone write a check out to themselves?
    I did this so I could transfer all my money from bank account A to bank account B so I could close account A.

That's the mindset of the city council, and thats why everything is so f&%ked up.

Speaking of accusations of racism in city councils, this just in from NOLA:
    http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/black_residents_defend_city_co.html

Some NOLA citizens have a petition to recall white council-woman Stacy Head b/c of alleged racism. This is the evidence of racism:

Head has been under fire from critics who point to several actions or alleged actions to decry her as a racist, including: allegedly blowing kisses to people opposing the demolition of public housing during a 2007 council meeting; her sharp criticism of city garbage contracts, two of which are held by minority-owned firms; her repeated clashes with Sanitation Director Veronica White, who is black; and her support of Anh "Joseph" Cao, a Vietnamese-American who defeated incumbent William Jefferson, who is black, in last year's 2nd Congressional District race.[/b]

Anyone who thinks it is "racist" to support an opponent of William Jefferson is INSANE. And as to her criticism of the garbage contracts & Sanitation Director White, there's some REALLY shady stuff going on with the garbage people here.
    http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/nagin_sends_scathing_email_to.html

The blowing kisses thing is kinda f*cked up though, yeah.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I challenge anyone to post proof of a bigger idiot in American public life. Dubya has nothing on Conyers.

O. My. G-o-d.

That is just embarrassing. And then she plays along with the interviewer in the second video is ridiculing herself. Crazy.

• Just youtube "Detroit City Council"

O. My. G-o-d.

That is just embarrassing. And then she plays along with the interviewer in the second video is ridiculing herself. Crazy.

What the!!