Shantou Hong Kong

dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
A family member of mine is headed to Shantou for a couple of weeks, and will be making a couple of brief stops in Hong Kong along the way. They usually bring me back something whenever they go on their trips, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any good shoe stores (no bootlegs please) to hit up in either city. Nothing too , though.EDIT: Any help at all for them to navigating both cities is also appreciated. English-friendly restaurants, shopping, cool places to go sight-seeing, etc.

Comments

• snosno 332 Posts
    For going out, Lan Kwai Fong in Central is the place to go:

檢視較大的地圖

For sneakers, there are plenty of places, such as:

Look for a shop called "EXIT" in Silvercord shopping centre in Tsim Sha Tsui:

檢視較大的地圖

Or Fa Yuen Street in Mongkok:

檢視較大的地圖

The basement of this building, "Chow Tai Fook Commercial Centre" also has a few shops for sneakers:

檢視較大的地圖

Food wise, there is a place called "Ting Tai Fung" in Silvercord as mentioned above that serves great Shanghai dumplings. For more local Hong Kong style food, try "Tsui Wah Restaurant" (kinda like a diner for a quick bite like noodles, tea etc). There's also one in Lan Kwai Fong.

(For some reason I cannot change the annotations to English in my browser, my apologies in advance if it is all in Chinese)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    well there is the institutional mak un noodle. it's kind of a tourist trap but still worthy of a visit. Dim sum, street food, cha chan tengs, dai pai dongs, these are all unique staples of the local diet. HK is a foodie heaven, impossible to begin w/ recommendations w/o knowing the interests of a person.

http://a16.video2.blip.tv/1670000621859/Legourmettv-MakingWonTonNoodleSoup520.mov

Sno mentioned Ding Tai Fung, which is shop originating from Taipei specializing in soup dumprings. They have locations in Toronto, LA, Shanghai, etc....It's good, but because of the fame, it's more expensive than other comparable soup dumpling places.

There is a sneaker street in Mongkok. If you're looking for boutique joints then maybe you should refer to superfuture.

Doublepark is a distro that runs shops like EXIT, they are peppers all throughout the city.

http://www.freshnessmag.com/v4/2006/02/12/hong-kong-shops/

There is a great denim store called Take 5 selling Japanese denim.

• snosno 332 Posts
    The Sneaker Street is actually called "Fa Yuen Street". Since I am not familiar with the sneaker game I am not sure if they have any raers there since most of them looks like your average sports retail chain.

That said, you can check out the Visvim Store at Wynham Street or the Neighborhood Store in Central:

檢視較大的地圖

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Tom Yum's Thai Restaurant : Tom Yum's has a healthy reputation amongst Hong Kongers as a great location for good food and good times. A small restaurant in the heart of Wan Chai, serving a long list of Thai staples, the meals here are authenic and come via Tom Yum's ever-friendly staff. Evenings can be busy so booking ahead is recommended.

Address: G/F, 44 Hennessey Road, Wan Chai
    Tel: 2527 2568

This was the best food I have ever tasted and believe me, I have tasted a lot of food in my time.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

for good peking duck, go Jade Garden on Percival Street/ Leighton Road in Causeway Bay.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hi Kenny!

A good restaurant for duck with great food and very reasonable prices is the Spring Deer Restaurant. I have not been there for a couple years, but definitely worth visiting for dinner if they are open.

Spring Deer Restaurant
    42 Moody Road, 1st Floor
    Kowloon
    2723-3673

• snosno 332 Posts
    Tai Ping Koon (http://www.taipingkoon.com)is pretty good too.
    Addresses:

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Hi Kenny!

A good restaurant for duck with great food and very reasonable prices is the Spring Deer Restaurant. I have not been there for a couple years, but definitely worth visiting for dinner if they are open.

Spring Deer Restaurant
    42 Moody Road, 1st Floor
    Kowloon
    2723-3673

yup, I know which one you talking about.

but i gotta say, i was never the type to roll with the new and forget the past, while Spring Deer had their days, the good folks there just can't do the duck anymore. The last FEW times I went, the skin were soggy and not crispy at all, NAGL indeed. Peking Garden also.

Jade Garden however, been around for a while but kinda new to the peking duck game, always comes up with the hotness! Crispy skin, small amount of fat, not too much meat.

But I agree that in general, Spring Deer has excellent food for very reasonable price. Just don't order the duck to avoid disappointment.

I'm all hungry now...

• indyindy 58 Posts
    Hey,

thanks for the info so far.

i'll be staying in hk for some time.

any info on some more cheap not rare sneaker / clothes outlets is welcomed!

where can i find these sample sales or outlet centres (except citygate) ??

if anyone is interested in hanging out or digging ---> pm

thx in advance

indy

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

for good peking duck, go Jade Garden on Percival Street/ Leighton Road in Causeway Bay.

PEKING GARDEN SON!