Another vinyl story (on Nightline)

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Part of this is filmed in my old shop with two friends of mine (traitors ) shopping there!http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7011708

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Sedaka, Bassey, Stairway 45. Perfect.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Flogging Molly on the conveyor being packed by 40 year old women stuffing that schitt into the sleeve.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Well, at least a cornball like that reporter completely evades the ironic hipster angle! Even ironic hipsters aren't digging for Neal Sedaka!

And on the serious tip, every new LP should either come with a CD or a digital copy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    MOTHERFUCKING CROOKED BILL!

b/w

The store looks huge now

+

The only independent music store left in Raleigh (and the only other new music store in this city thats left I think is FYE) told me they survive off vinyl sales now - and this was a store that barely even had a vinyl section a few years ago.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

b/w

The store looks huge now

+

The only independent music store left in Raleigh (and the only other new music store in this city thats left I think is FYE) told me they survive off vinyl sales now - and this was a store that barely even had a vinyl section a few years ago.

I remember Bill expressing surprise that I wasn't really going to carry CD's in my new shop when I broke away from him four years ago. It wasn't that I could see the future, i just never liked CD's.

• "LP sales up 80% in 2008"?? Really?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    "LP sales up 80% in 2008"?? Really?

Absolutely. I'm telling you, vinyl is coming back. Digital music is simply disposable, it is, by design, intangible. The problem for music fans that are more than just consumers, is that they are getting tired of having no personal connection to the music they love. Vinyl is a great remedy. I would not be surprised if in the next 5 years we started to witness the rebirth of the record store. Perhaps that's too optimistic, but I've got a good feeling about where things are going. Of course, I could be totally off on this.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Absolutely. I'm telling you, vinyl is coming back. Digital music is simply disposable, it is, by design, intangible. The problem for music fans that are more than just consumers, is that they are getting tired of having no personal connection to the music they love. Vinyl is a great remedy. I would not be surprised if in the next 5 years we started to witness the rebirth of the record store. Perhaps that's too optimistic, but I've got a good feeling about where things are going. Of course, I could be totally off on this.

I do agree that a lot of young people now wouldn't pay for CDs and are buying new vinyl - but that figure may be a skewed because that is almost certainly Soundscanned units... a lot of new vinyl sold in years past was probably through non-SS outlets.

I mean, now that a lot of vinyl comes w/a free download or CD its kind of a wrap - even people who don't have turntables think its a better deal.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I do agree that a lot of young people now wouldn't pay for CDs and are buying new vinyl - but that figure may be a skewed because that is almost certainly Soundscanned units... a lot of new vinyl sold in years past was probably through non-SS outlets.

I mean, now that a lot of vinyl comes w/a free download or CD its kind of a wrap - even people who don't have turntables think its a better deal.

One of our local indy stores, said he would be better off selling cassettes than CD's, because his vinyl sales have skyrocketed, and CD's are down.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

I'm with you on this! There is a lot of stuff on vinyl that has never been re-issued so why not buy it and appreciate how rare and great the music can be.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

b/w

The store looks huge now

+

Yeah one of the local 2nd hand record/cd/dvd/games store they had near my work closed down and the owner said the reason was they had too much cd stock that they couldnt sell. About 25% of the store was vinyl and that was the only thing that made money. He was spewing he had invested in so much other stock, reckons if he had kept it straight vinyl then the store would have survived. Now I got nothing to do at lunchtime...

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    a cornball like that reporter

So many good quotes in there, but my favorite has got to be:

"If California is the place where trends come from..."

That's a big "if"...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    a cornball like that reporter

So many good quotes in there, but my favorite has got to be:

"If California is the place where trends come from..."

that's a big "if"...

Next trend, 10%+ unemployment.

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    I see the increase in vinyl sales as partly for psychological reasons too. I know I can burn a CD, but I can't go out and 'burn' a vinyl record. Obviously other facts like, the rarity of some artists never being reissued, the larger artwork etc. too play a role.