What were you doing when you were 15?

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Alex Chilton wrote "The Letter" when he was 17: Steve Winwood joined the Spencer Davis Groups when he was 15 and wrote "Gimme Some Lovin" and I'm a Man" before he turned 19. Stevie Wonder wrote "Fingertips" when he was 13: What have you done lately? Any other prodigies out there?

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    what about you n**l,
    you must have been up to something down ga way,
    future hipster store owner, dj about town, grape picker ?

seems like last week, but at 15 i was trying to get a 3rd class broadcast license,
    master the electro-bass
    & find loose girls

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I dropped out of high school & immersed my self into Nintendo, Hip hop, & Comic books. I also spent a lot of time checking out broads in the titty bars on St Catherine.

Things haven't changed much...

h

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    drugs.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

and

trying to
    find loose girls

That about sums it up.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I was reading Penthouse Forum, digging Yes, Skynyrd and The Who and skating to the local bowling alley.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    trying to pass calc I, learning the finer arts of shotgunning natty bo, doing the running man, sporting polka dots, come to terms with being the second leg in the indoor 400 relay, tracking down 2 cheap tape decks for mixes, finding out having 'game' is harder than it looked, getting suspended for coming strapped to homecoming.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    getting suspended for coming strapped to homecoming.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

I was practicing my beatboxing.

• I spent the summer (and winter) working as "muscle" at a flea market stall for people that sold electronics (boom boxes, CB radios, car stereos etc). I was supposed unload and load their truck and prevent shoplifting. The second worst job I ever had, though I plowed almost every cent I made into records at the stand across the way.

PS Alex Chilton didn't write 'The Letter'....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    drinking, smoking, staying out past curfew, losing it, skipping class, listening to the clash, crass and dillinger, working at the local grocery store and selling stories to other kids for English class assignments. the best was when one girl was offered to get published in a regional journal of creative writing and she actually asked if i was ok if my story was included under her name.

it's been pretty much downhill since then.

ha ha - just joking.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    playing drums real fast.
    mastering the popshuvit.
    masterbating.
    experimenting with schnapps.
    writing my name on things like busses and tunnel walls.
    getting arrested. [see above]
    defying my parents.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    . the best was when one girl was offered to get published in a regional journal of creative writing and she actually asked if i was ok if my story was included under her name.

ROTFL! so what'd you do?

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Basically, I was involved with soccer and music heavily but my main thing was:

skating, as in street/park rollerblading. Believe it or not I was a semi-professional.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Tony Williams at 17 joins the Miles Davis 5tet (one of the greatest jazz groups ever) after recording with Jackie Mclean, Sam Rivers and Kenny Dorham.

. the best was when one girl was offered to get published in a regional journal of creative writing and she actually asked if i was ok if my story was included under her name.

ROTFL! so what'd you do?

gave her a WTF look and said no! i remember it very clearly - we were standing at my locker and she was kind of stumbling over how to ask me.
    the teacher kept bugging her about it (i actually had the same teacher) and couldn't understand why she was turning down such a great "opportunity".

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    skateboarding, playing drums in a punk rock/hardcore band......and hating everything. ahh, the good ol' days.

At 15, Susan Sontag skipped three grades and graduated high school to enter the University of California at Berkeley. After a year she transferred to the University of Chicago, and graduated at 18. Sontag moved to Boston and continued her studies at Harvard, where she was a Ph.D. candidate at 22.

• and

trying to
    find loose girls

That about sums it up.

• Learning Rage Against The Machine basslines and being an awkward, introverted teenager.

Now I learn Curtis Mayfield basslines and I'm an awkward, introverted 20 something.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I was reading Flipside, Maximun RnR, Rip and ordering records from the SST, Metal Blade, touch and go ads....and driving my parents crazy with them.

• skipping school
    listening to sebadoh
    making bongs
    hunting for sneakers
    fighting w/ my parents
    having my first proper girlfriend

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    these kind of "so and so did this at age 15" concepts arent a particualrly healthy way to look at life.

sure susan sontag was a smart kid big woop.. there are plenty of people who also do shit when they're older.

remember

the flame that burns twice as bright

burns only half as long

consistency peeps

when i was 15 im happy i had the forsight to pick up the electric guitar and have a go at being jimmy page.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

AND

sure susan sontag was a smart kid big woop.. there are plenty of people who also do shit when they're older.[/b]

like susan sontag

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    When I was 15 I was a habitual truant who's daily routine consisted of hanging out with other habitual truants, battling other MC's (I was the skinny white hope), and trying to be the best Jewish rip-off version of KRS one and Malcolm X I could be.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    hating all other kids at high school...
    playing tennis...
    skateboarding...
    watching YO!MTV Raps and Beavis & Butthead...
    not drinking...
    not smoking...
    acting strange, but cool...
    hating my parents...
    listening to Rage Against The Machine and ATCQ...

most of us were doing the same things, I guess. No wonder that we all ended up on the same message board...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    as in street/park rollerblading.

OH NO! You were a Fruit-booter!?

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    as in street/park rollerblading.

OH NO! You were a Fruit-booter!?

Damn it R***, I thought you already knew that

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Craig Kelly R.I.P.

In '95 I was still pushin a old school missile board, what?