bottled water(nrr)(plastic,oil,money,earth related

bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
bottled water is the new water. a brilliant use of natural resources huh? http://fastcompany.com/magazine/117/features-message-in-a-bottle.htmlwhat do you guys think about this?

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Really, it is a lake of Poland Spring water, conveniently celled off in plastic,

that shits a disaster.

i drink tap. if you let it sit out, the chlorine will evaporate out.

F*ck bottled water...if we invested half that money into water infrastructure, everyone in the world would have access to clean water

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    bottled water on average costs more than fuel and one other thing that alot of people dont realise is that the shit has a 6 month shelf life due to the bottle, it deteriorates and the chemicals seep into the water after around 6 mth.

I know alot of cats are conspiracy theory haters on here, but I recall reading all about how water was going to be the next big commodity in like 94-95 in magazines like New Dawn. They got it half right anyways...

The real scary thing is the WTO/IMF push to privatise ALL water bodies (see Bolivia etc) and turn them into private businesses, to the point that even rainwater can be 'owned' by a company.... How long before we get our first world water war? How long before Kevin Costner does a sequel to waterworld?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    i always used to drink bottled water and loads of it, 1-2 1,5 Liter Evian a day, more if hung over. Switched to tap since moving to NY half a year ago (drinking tap water in Africa wasn't an option). Despite everybody raving about how great Brooklyn tap water is and our house having new pipes, I'd still prefer the Evian. Sticking with the tap for now because I'm tired of carrying shit and also because I'm cheap. I'm not concerned about the environment. People deserve it much worse than it already is.

Oh and Poland Spring... I'd rather drink from the dick of a goat!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    im cool with tap and a brita filter.

is BPA a concern with those plastic bottles or is this a scare?

• Options
    water is gettin expensive!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

For real. F*ck a bottled water.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I don't eat flouride toothpaste and I don't drink flouride water.

A double-osmosis filter should do the trick in removing the flouride from tap water...and that's what I drink at work. But I ain't got one of them contraptions myself, thus I drink bottled water at home.

Have the bastards keep the flouride (an industrial by-product) out of the tap water to begin with and I wouldn't have to contribute to the environmental waste just to avoid being poisoned.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Shied, please. Fluoride is meant to strengthen the teeth of younger children, yet has been linked to lower IQ scores. Is it because children of lower socioeconomic classes don't get a proper education? Or is it because of the fluoride? Fluoride bonds to developing tissues, which includes teeth and brain. The studies have linked fluoride to lower IQ, but the reasons why they are linked have not been fleshed out properly.

As to bottled water, drinking from plastic vessels have been linked to lowered sperm counts. Plastics particulate matter mimicks estrogen when ingested, so this might explain lower fertility in men around the world in developing countries.

If you're not on the go, or in the Outback, or not living in Togo, drink from the tap after you Brita it.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I don't eat flouride toothpaste and I don't drink flouride water.
    b, 21
    b, 21A double-osmosis filter should do the trick in removing the flouride from tap water...and that's what I drink at work. But I ain't got one of them contraptions myself, thus I drink bottled water at home.
    b, 21
    b, 21Have the bastards keep the flouride (an industrial by-product) out of the tap water to begin with and I wouldn't have to contribute to the environmental waste just to avoid being poisoned.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_V-rYj8efquE/ReibLXEhcuI/AAAAAAAAAPE/U2nK6W3fcdA/s320/strangelove10.jpg"1b, 21b, 21General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.b, 21Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Lord, Jack.b, 21General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?b, 21Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.b, 21General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.b, 21Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen, tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?b, 21General Jack D. Ripper: Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.b, 21Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.b, 21General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.b, 21Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.b, 21General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.b, 21Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.b, 21General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Think of all the gyms in the US- one workout, 1 hour, 1 bottle forever!!!

/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I don't eat flouride toothpaste and I don't drink flouride water.
    b, 21
    b, 21A double-osmosis filter should do the trick in removing the flouride from tap water...and that's what I drink at work. But I ain't got one of them contraptions myself, thus I drink bottled water at home.
    b, 21
    b, 21Have the bastards keep the flouride (an industrial by-product) out of the tap water to begin with and I wouldn't have to contribute to the environmental waste just to avoid being poisoned.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21why not fill up your bottles at work. saves you money. some of the girls at my office do that. They just keep using the same water bottle, refilled everyday.b, 21b, 21I drink the filtered shit at work and straight tap water at home, althought thats cause Ive been lazy lately, usually I keep a thick glass bottle in the fridge that i refill with boiled water... I have a problem drinking anything from a plastic bottle, especially beer and water, I find it changes the taste.b, 21b, 21BTW Harvey- my missus is a dental hygienist and she argues that the flouride in the water is harmless, the amounts are too minimal to do any damage and the flouride compound that causes health problems is different from the flouride compound used in water/toothpaste. b, 21b, 21However I still point out to her that countries that dont use flouride have the same level of dental health as those that do....b, 21b, 21Over here is Australia the water bottle industry is pushing to get flouride put into bottled water....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21why not fill up your bottles at work.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'll tell you why not: because when people do this, they habitually hold the bottle against the dispenser, allowing bacteria from their saliva to enter the vending system.b, 21b, 21Legionaire's disease and all sorts.b, 21b, 21Bad news.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21How long before Kevin Costner does a sequel to waterworld? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21DEAR GOD NO!!!

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    rw, that Bisphenol A shit is real, it's really bad for babies especially, i heard an interview on NPR where they were saying that you should feed your baby with glass bottles instead because that shit leaches into what they're drinking(along with god knows what other chems we dont know about yet). When that shit is warmed up with the plastic its especially bad. All you guys who have babies beware of that shit, your baby is drinking bad shit if you're giving em warm liquids through the clear plastic bottles. They stressed in the interview that it was the clear and or opaque plastic bottles that were the worst, the colored, non-opaque plastics werent near as bad. also , i know you guys might go apeshit on me for saying this but i dont think the brita filters are sufficient. I'm saying this out of love (because i want you guys to be healthy) i'm gonna look up some stats on this shit right now.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I don't eat flouride toothpaste and I don't drink flouride water.b,121b,121A double-osmosis filter should do the trick in removing the flouride from tap water...and that's what I drink at work. But I ain't got one of them contraptions myself, thus I drink bottled water at home. b,121b,121Have the bastards keep the flouride (an industrial by-product) out of the tap water to begin with and I wouldn't have to contribute to the environmental waste just to avoid being poisoned. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121do you read a lot of David Ike?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Google "Pacific trash gyre" for more horrifying reasons to not drink bottled water.b,121b,121 When I posted some info about this on the Cape Cod Times newspaper forums I immediately got slammed by a new member who claimed it didn't exist (ridiculous), then by the head of the North American Bottled Water Association, who must troll every newspaper in North America looking for criticisms of bottled water (this was the Cape Cod Times, remember). He then wrote a lengthy letter to the paper calling criticisms such as mine irresponsible and uninformed.b,121b,121 Weird stuff.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121if you let it sit out, the chlorine will evaporate out.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121one other thing that alot of people dont realise is that the shit has a 6 month shelf life due to the bottle, it deteriorates and the chemicals seep into the water after around 6 mth.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121im cool with tap and a brita filter.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121I don't eat flouride toothpaste and I don't drink flouride water.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121As to bottled water, drinking from plastic vessels have been linked to lowered sperm counts. Plastics particulate matter mimicks estrogen when ingested, so this might explain lower fertility in men around the world in developing countries.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121I'll tell you why not: because when people do this, they habitually hold the bottle against the dispenser, allowing bacteria from their saliva to enter the vending system.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121that Bisphenol A shit is real, it's really bad for babies especially, i heard an interview on NPR where they were saying that you should feed your baby with glass bottles instead because that shit leaches into what they're drinking(along with god knows what other chems we dont know about yet). When that shit is warmed up with the plastic its especially bad. All you guys who have babies beware of that shit, your baby is drinking bad shit if you're giving em warm liquids through the clear plastic bottles. They stressed in the interview that it was the clear and or opaque plastic bottles that were the worst, the colored, non-opaque plastics werent near as bad. also , i know you guys might go apeshit on me for saying this but i dont think the brita filters are sufficient. I'm saying this out of love (because i want you guys to be healthy) i'm gonna look up some stats on this shit right now. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121This shit is unbelievable.b,121b,121It's water. You live in the first world. Drink it out of the f*cking tap.b,121b,121You carry on with this rubbish you end up being one of those people that gets sick if someone sneezes at you from three miles away because you have no tolerance to anything.

according to the book, "The Crime and Punishment of I.G. Farben"(by Joseph Borkin), the first use of fluoride was in the Nazi prison camps. I don't think the Nazi's were too concerned with the prisoners' teeth.

This is a specious argument. You don't know why they were using fluoride on prisoners, neither do I. I read Abuse Your Illusions and while the essay in that book stated that Nazis were using it as a calming submitting influence on the prison populace, but doesn't provide a footnote for that assertion. I wasn't advocating fluoridated water btw, I was suggesting why public policy placed it in water. Perhaps the glacial changes in public policy should be re-examined and the practice abandoned, especially when fluoride research has far outpaced policy and indicated that fluoride is not as effective as "we" had previously thought.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

For real. F*ck a bottled water.

Seriously. People are lazy as hell. I ask coworkers why don't they just bring their own cups from home instead of throwing away several bottles and styrofoam daily. You don't have to be a "tree hugger" to see that it's a complete waste.

Anyhow, my job involves water filtration products and services, so I can't complain about people on some tin foil hat Howard Hughes shit spending money because they are afraid of every insignificant particle that may be in their water. I use a carbon filter because it tastes so much better than straight tap. Not because I'm afraid of "them" putting mind control chemicals in the water supply or some dumb crap like that.

• I rock the brita. But I also drink A LOT of mineral water but now only by companies that use glass bottles.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    I rock the brita. But I also drink A LOT of mineral water but now only by companies that use glass bottles.

damn i totally forgot about mineral water! i drink that stuff by the caseload. will take heed and try to cut down on the plastic bottle usage.

theres a fluoride thread from awhiles back that was pretty informative but also filled with usual soulstrut pro/con arguments.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yeah, it's soooooo dumb and crazy not to want to have an industrial by-product that has been proven as toxic intentionally added to your water. Might as well slip a little arsenic into my pizza while we're at it...just a little though.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

why not fill up your bottles at work. saves you money. some of the girls at my office do that. They just keep using the same water bottle, refilled everyday.

This is what I do with this, though I dropped the cap and it shattered so now I need to buy a new one.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Might as well slip a little arsenic into my pizza while we're at it...just a little though.

no...get extra

I don't know why they used it, but i do find it to be significant that they were the first to use it and i think its pretty safe to assume they weren't trying to help the prisoners by giving it to them.

google: first uses of fluoride and take a look at the first entry. soviets enjoyed giving their prisoners fluoride too, and i dont think it was because they cared about them, but again, i don't know why they gave it to them.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I drink filtered well water in lead-free glass vessels. No plastic chemical seepage, no fluoridation fuckery.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ya'll know what naive spelled backwards is right?

google: first uses of fluoride and take a look at the first entry. soviets enjoyed giving their prisoners fluoride too, and i dont think it was because they cared about them, but again, i don't know why they gave it to them.

People experiment on prisoners becuz they are an easy target with little voice. Nazis tested all types of crazy shit on Jews/Gypsies/Catholics/handicapped during WWII. My point is only that just cuz the Nazis and Soviets test something, doesn't make what is being tested inherently bad, but more likely an unknown. I don't think the Nazis or Soviets were up to any good, yet they could be experimenting for "good" reasons with an unpredictable substance on a captive population.

Damn...after reading all the links and shit... I might as well be drinking my bong water!

I wish someone would do some sort of experiment where they take twins and give one fluoride water and the other oen filtered spring water for a large part of their lives... and then see how they fare later in life...

shit maybe that crazy angelina wanna be bitch that just had 8 kids could volunteer a few of them for the experiment!

BTW- funny thing about all this is I got to write a feature article for the next issue of the magazine I edit, on bottled and flavoured water.....

There isa compnay called ONE which is supposed to be NFP and has celebrity backing, they sell the water and take the money and use it to by water pumps for poor communitys in the developing world.... ironic justice in a way....