Kanye VH-1 Storytellers

magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
'50, look at me now, singing on the ground with my pink shirt on, does this look gay to you?'

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    kanye is the greatest person ever. and i say that without having even watched these videos (i have other things to do)

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Dude is cool. He can't freestyle that well, but he manages to pull it off. The arrangements on some those drums were ill.

kanye is the most important music person of this decade and i defy anyone to name a music person of this decade who is more important

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Asher Roth

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    kanye is the most important music person of this decade and i defy anyone to name a music person of this decade who is more important

Actually true. I don't even *love* everything the guy's done but I mean, when you consider that in 2001 he was resurrecting Jay-Z on The Blueprint and generally re-shaping the sound of hip-hop production... to his solo records and now his trendy new stuff, this dude has basically charted the path of urban music for the last 10 years. Also singlehandedly taken apart the rap-superthug-comic book steez that was dominating until like, last year

That's pretty amazing.

Asher Roth

who?

ohh, ok... that dude got waaay too much em in him vocally judging from the couple of things i heard from him. he does have talent tho... i don't hate him

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Actually true. I don't even *love* everything the guy's done but I mean, when you consider that in 2001 he was resurrecting Jay-Z on The Blueprint and generally re-shaping the sound of hip-hop production... to his solo records and now his trendy new stuff, this dude has basically charted the path of urban music for the last 10 years. Also singlehandedly taken apart the rap-superthug-comic book steez that was dominating until like, last year

That's pretty amazing.

I agree with this statement completely. Also as an aside, I dig that he calls out the homophobia in hip-hop.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The possible truth of that statement probably says as much about the state of pop music in the '00s as it does Kanye's talents.

I think it's entirely likely that at the end of the decade, the two most important pop music figures (new to the decade, not carry overs from the '90s) will be Kanye and MIA.

Dwell on that.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I think it's entirely likely that at the end of the decade, the two most important pop music figures (new to the decade, not carry overs from the '90s) will be Kanye and MIA.

MIA? Can you clarify? Not that I don't dig her music, but I don't see it.

*b/w
    re:Kanye vs. state of pop music in 00s

Couldn't you just say the same thing about the Beatles, or any other historical music figure(s) getting by because everyone else around them was sucking?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I watched the Storytellers thing when it was on. I watched the whole thing. I really like Kanye's music and never really get caught up in his various ego moments.

I couldn't really get into this thing though. It started out great and some of the arrangements of the songs were great, but his "storytelling" part was terrible. He was so caught up in making it all rhyme or going along with the melody that his stories didn't make sense. He'd start on one path and then say a word and end up going down a new path because he had to rhyme with the previous word. If he just talked and actually said "I made this song because of..." it would have been so much better.

Supposedly he dissed Radiohead, but VH1 cut it out. I guess Thom Yorke snubbed him at the Grammies and Kanye went off about it, even though Radiohead is one of his favorite groups.

my favorite moment was when he said "alright alright alright alirght. please no publishing Outkast."

Oliver - MIA is not on the level. MIA will be an example of something. Kanye *is* the something. If that makes any sense.

I don't think there's anything inherently BAD about Kanye's status as "most influential music person" (MIMP). First off, dudes who say he has no talent are just missing the forest for the trees. And I think his recorded work stands up. He's made some great, if flawed, records.

I'm not sure I understand the "if that's the MIMP then boy are we fucked" attitude.

• minimini 879 Posts

• I haven't even read this thread but I'mma go out on a limb.

HE SUCKS
    HE CAN'T SING
    HE'S SO f*cking GAY
    HE'S NOT REAL HIP-HOP
    ZOMG LOOK AT HIS OUTFIT

"What is Soulstrut's reaction to every Kanye thread that pops-up every 3 days"

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

HE SUCKS
    HE CAN'T SING
    HE'S SO f*cking GAY
    HE'S NOT REAL HIP-HOP
    ZOMG LOOK AT HIS OUTFIT

It's pretty much exactly the opposite

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

For the sake of a good argument, what about Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo? The Neptunes had MAD hits and really changed the game.

Hi Phill!

For the sake of a good argument, what about Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo? The Neptunes had MAD hits and really changed the game.

Hi Phill!

Chan! What up, brother! How's ya life?

the thing about kanye is that it's not all about the music only, although that certainly is the key thing. it's about the STYLE. thugs in the hood are now wearing skin tight jeans and extra smedium lilac sweaters... and you know the shag mullet fade frohawk haircut is gonna be the next big thing in barbershops and salons all over america. mad brothers came out the closet this decade, son... i attribute it all to kanye. pharrell and them were on that trendsetting style tip too, but IMO kanye totally eclipsed them because he's attained legit pop star status. omg he's the greatest

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Hi Phill!

Chan! What up, brother! How's ya life?

the thing about kanye is that it's not all about the music only, although that certainly is the key thing. it's about the STYLE. thugs in the hood are now wearing skin tight jeans and extra smedium lilac sweaters... and you know the shag mullet fade frohawk haircut is gonna be the next big thing in barbershops and salons all over america. mad brothers came out the closet this decade, son... i attribute it all to kanye. pharrell and them were on that trendsetting style tip too, but IMO kanye totally eclipsed them because he's attained legit pop star status. omg he's the greatest

LMFAO!!!!!!! Thank you for clearing things up and letting all know what time it is. I always value your opinions and insight OG Phill. If Kanye can get fools in the hood dressing like him, that really is some next level shit!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    There were cats doin his "style" before him and dudes in the hood still hatt his ass.

Ya'll makin it seem like the hood has entirely transformed into that shit.

Dudes are still Jordans/baggy pants/hoodies and all that shit.

The bapesta/scarf steez was around before he really started bubblin.

A far as im concered that firt video/song aint nuthin but In The Air Tonight.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

HE CAN'T SING

There were cats doin his "style" before him and dudes in the hood still hatt his ass.

people were moonwalking before michael jackson, too

don't front on 'ye's greateness... it's

yeah and folks who make Jackson to be the creator of the Moonwalk is on silliness.

There's a gang of dudes in Hip Hop that were doin the Dandy steez. And to place Kanye as the "Greatest/Biggest" influence on cats is wack IMO.

I wouldn't say that Kanye's image is even his biggest influence... just one thing, out of many...

yeah and folks who make Jackson to be the creator of the Moonwalk is on silliness.

There's a gang of dudes in Hip Hop that were doin the Dandy steez. And to place Kanye as the "Greatest/Biggest" influence on cats is wack IMO.

but he IS the biggest influence on many many many people... why do you argue with this??? he's on his way to madonna/ prince / beatles status due to his innovations and his elevations of not only hip hop but MUSIC in general. he can't sing, but the fact that he wins even without having this talent is even CLEARER evidence of his genius, is it not? hatt if you want but i believe he'll even approach stevie / marvin / kurtis blow status before he's done with this schitt

Dandy steez

dammm... wtf is THAT? i don't think i want to know

Dandy steez

dammm... wtf is THAT? i don't think i want to know

Dandy

Quasi-Dandy

but he IS the biggest influence on many many many people... why do you argue with this??? he's on his way to madonna/ prince / beatles status due to his innovations and his elevations of not only hip hop but MUSIC in general. he can't sing, but the fact that he wins even without having this talent is even CLEARER evidence of his genius, is it not? hatt if you want but i believe he'll even approach stevie / marvin / kurtis blow status before he's done with this schitt

but making 808's and heartbreak was pretty innovative.[/b]

Quasi-Dandy

wow, are you joshin' me w/ this? DANDY, that's really the term??? i mean... it's just a shirt and sweater / sweater-vest w/ jeans sneaks and cap! that's pretty much how i dress (replace 50/50 w/ newsboy or whatever they call those old man hats)! So I'm a Quasi-Dandy??? COOL!! i feel so much less now

The singing-not singing thang was Pharrell's thang before Kanye stepped it up w/ the robot-voice.

I never held that against him or Pharrell. But i wouldnt call that style "genius".

Both dudes are Post-Hip Hop...IMO.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Quasi-Dandy

wow, are you joshin' me w/ this? DANDY, that's really the term??? i mean... it's just a shirt and sweater / sweater-vest w/ jeans sneaks and cap! that's pretty much how i dress (replace 50/50 w/ newsboy or whatever they call those old man hats)! So I'm a Quasi-Dandy??? COOL!! i feel so much less now

Me too, Phill. I was always a "preppy" b-boy for the most part. I guess I'm not so old after all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak