LOUIE RAMIREZ 45 on Mercury question...

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
(b/w "Baby Don't You Cry Now")Saw this for the first time today. Anyone have it?--is it the same as the Ali Baba LP version?Thanks.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Also been watching this ROBERTO ROENA Que Se Sepa auction--didn't know it went for $$$:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360133878461

And "Que Se Sepa" is pretty standard after the intro; I hope dudes aren't paying that just for 40 seconds of funk.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, the "Que Se Sepa" 45 goes for a bit, mostly b/c it doesn't really show up. I wouldn't mind having it on 7" but I'm not trying to throwdown much more than $30 for one.

I do disagree about its "standardness" - I think it's a f*cking great guaguanco and that, in its entirety, the song is hot fire.

I meant standard in the best way possible, believe me--i just think it's the funky part alone that's making it a $$$ record.

• Options
    it's the funky part alone that's making it a $$$ record.

Sure but that makes sense, no? It wouldn't be the same song w/o it.

I'd pay the same for the 45 with or without the funky part.

• Options
    Sure but that makes sense, no? It wouldn't be the same song w/o it.

Agreed.

Take off the non-funky part and extend the funky part for a few more minutes and you'd double the sale price.

Take off the non-funky part and extend the funky part for a few more minutes and you'd double the sale price.

REEEEEEEMIIIIIXXXXX

(b/w "Baby Don't You Cry Now")

Saw this for the first time today. Anyone have it?--is it the same as the Ali Baba LP version?

Got this today. Same song, different version--has a lot more of a soul sound. Solid track. The flip is cool, too.

"I Dig Rhythm"

"Baby Don't You Cry Now"

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

"Baby Don't You Cry Now"

Thanks for these, what a tune.

Rey,

You think this came out before or after "Ali Baba"? For that matter, which came first: "Ali Baba" or "From the Heart of Spanish Harlem"?

Rey,

You think this came out before or after "Ali Baba"? For that matter, which came first: "Ali Baba" or "From the Heart of Spanish Harlem"?
    I think "From the Heart of Spanish Harlem" came out in 67-ish before "Ali Baba."

Not sure about this particular 45...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

"Baby Don't You Cry Now"

Thanks for these, what a tune.

I am continually amazed at how f---ing prolific Ramirez was in this era. I guess because he always seemed more of a "behind the scenes" guy (despite being a recording artist in his own right) but hell, in 1967, he must have been recording for at least three different labels - Mercury, Speed and Fania (and maybe Cotique too).