GQ's Top 20 Rackord Shops

2»

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Unless Philly Record Exchange has gotten a lot better in the last few years they should replace that shit with Plan 9 in Richmond. I know the record exchange used to be the spot, but that shit fell the F*ck off.

All reports over the past few years have indicated that Plan 9 fell the F*ck off too, but I haven't been there so I can't confirm.

Thats just because Fatback scoops up all the good shit, the employees let slip through, before anyone else has a chance.

Doesn't help that I moved two blocks down from the shop.

• Ctrl + F "Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh" not found.

:-(

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    "Owner Jonathan Sklute curates a collection of used and rare vinyl that spans the globe, with everything from Nigerian funk to European jazz. And there isn???t a CD in sight."

Congrats Mr. Paychex, big thangs!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i think the east coast definitely has more quality record shops. i miss Good, and the philly shops, and PREX. but for GQ, that list ain't bad. Even AKA in philly, although they don't have a huge collection of vinyl, is an amazing shop with quality reissues, imports, indie and weird shit. i always enjoyed going there even though i usually didn't walk away with much.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So does this mark the first appearence for any 'strutter in the pages of GQ?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    No disrespect to DJ Hut(thrilled they are still in it after 2 fires and I am a repeat customer), but I wouldn't put them in the top 3 in DC area(or even DC proper) let alone a trans-continental best of for vinyl shops. Great for the latest in 12"s, unbeatable in the area for that and other DJ related items, but not what comes to mind as a serious record store. New stuff only with very few exceptions. If you feel the need to represent DC, GQ, maybe some other spot might have been a more interesting choice. But hey, congrats to DJ Hut!

I disagree. DJ Hut represents a very specific type of record store and one that is that is truly a dying breed in the post-Microwave era (unless you count the turntablelabs and i don't) - a DJ outlet run by actual DJs with actual deep musical knowledge. Not everybody is looking for hipster crap or vintage vinyl and there isn't another store in this city where i can get a damn Lil Wayne 12".

Honestly, and this is no disrespect to the niche stores in dc, they are fine, but most of them cannot compare to the equivalent niche stores in bigger cities. Most cities no longer have a dj hut caliber store.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    No disrespect to DJ Hut(thrilled they are still in it after 2 fires and I am a repeat customer), but I wouldn't put them in the top 3 in DC area(or even DC proper) let alone a trans-continental best of for vinyl shops. Great for the latest in 12"s, unbeatable in the area for that and other DJ related items, but not what comes to mind as a serious record store. New stuff only with very few exceptions. If you feel the need to represent DC, GQ, maybe some other spot might have been a more interesting choice. But hey, congrats to DJ Hut!

I disagree. DJ Hut represents a very specific type of record store and one that is that is truly a dying breed in the post-Microwave era (unless you count the turntablelabs and i don't) - a DJ outlet run by actual DJs with actual deep musical knowledge. Not everybody is looking for hipster crap or vintage vinyl and there isn't another store in this city where i can get a damn Lil Wayne 12".

Honestly, and this is no disrespect to the niche stores in dc, they are fine, but most of them cannot compare to the equivalent niche stores in bigger cities. Most cities no longer have a dj hut caliber store.

Point taken, sir, and to that end I would concur. To that end, however, it might have been nice for GQ to elaborate in their write-up. And I guess I was under the impression that vintage vinyl WAS the focus of the feature, at least that's how ,ost of the shops seem positioned.

And HOW DARE YOU imply that I am out looking for hipster crap! HOW DARE YOU!

• Everyone's going to have their favorite spots, but to Andrew's point I think the magazine was trying to pick different *types* of stores rather than simply the best or most popular shops in the eyes of record collectors.

I'm flattered to be one of the only boutiques in there. I wish I could say that I had some kind of hook-up, but I was as surprised as anyone when I got the email a couple weeks ago.

• Everyone's going to have their favorite spots, but to Andrew's point I think the magazine was trying to pick different *types* of stores rather than simply the best or most popular shops in the eyes of record collectors.

I guess that explains why Other Music makes that list.

• Hey now, Other Music gets good (used) stuff in too. Don't sleep.

• they should have had a picture of a clerk wearing an ill-fitting t-shirt at the counter sighing with exasperation for the OM picture

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Good looks, JP, although I agree that the absence of Groove Merchant is kind of off-key.

I see that Luis Gasca on Blue Thumb in the bins...

• Man, that Good Records shop was dead as a doornail earlier this week.
    A couple stoner dudes making Whoopi jokes? That ain't no Top 20 record shop.

SHOW ME RAMP ON THE WALL

• So does this mark the first appearence for any 'strutter in the pages of GQ?

no, gulp. i was in there for an article on female dj's. it was also printed in british gq. it was really cheesy imo but whatever, we have all had to do silly photo shoots. F*ck, just noticed there are ants on my laptop.

• hmmm...i havent been to any of the stores in the US on the list (what with me being in the UK and the GBP being pretty worthless atm) but i was quite surprised to see honest jon's in london in there. Granted they do have a reputation of being very eclectic with what they sell, if you run up portobello road in notting hill theres a great soul/funk exchange store which is always my first port of call in london for digging- wider selection, cheaper stuff and not anywhere near as hyped up as honest jons.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    disappointed that gramaphone didnt make this list & reckless did