Stark Reality on the 'bay

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Anybody know who this seller is? And why he/she thinks they'll get that asking price? It's been up there for a few months now.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Sellers too often base pricing on what they paid for it at some pt, not what it is worth.

• Anybody know who this seller is? And why he/she thinks they'll get that asking price? It's been up there for a few months now.

I know this guy! Has a house full of records and that record he has listed is his spare copy that he found for a $1. Not 1,000 dollars but a damn $1! in a junk shop in middle America. Guy is off the chain with the prices sometimes!

• put him on blast

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I wonder if it's ever gone for that much.

• maybe when we had the katrina auction and my man mattafrica put his copy up. i think it broke a bill for sho

• Hasn't he had this up for months and months?

• Hasn't he had this up for months and months?

He put it up once with a reserve some months ago. It ended at 565 dollars. The reserve was a 1000 dollars. Oh well.

• Does this Price Surprise you?!?
    I have seen it sellin' for even more...

• definitely too much...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Does this Price Surprise you?!?

Yes this price does surprise me since it's about double the median.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.p...=dprice&thumbs=

• Does this Price Surprise you?!?

Yes this price does surprise me since it's about double the median.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.p...=dprice&thumbs=

dag, i thought it sold for more than that too. and here i was thinking about selling my copy.... maybe i'll just hang onto it (and watch the price go down even further probably)

• I'd say the days when you could get over $1000 for this are gone.. I would put it on a set-sale list for $850 if I would sell it right now..

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    People just aren't that into it anymore.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Is it finally safe for me to say that, even though it was produced by my company, I've never really dug it?

• montymonty 420 Posts

Is it finally safe for me to say that, even though it was produced by my company, I've never really dug it?

you think you're Ahmad Jamal? GTFOHWTBS

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I work for WGBH.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Welcome back Monty!

• LOL

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Oh snap the cat selling that Stark Reality is M#nt*y* from Erie PA ....like what was already said he dug up two copies from a shop over near the PA/ OH border. Dude has had that up on E bay for even more in the past...he is the same cat that had that Lou Ragland is the Conveuyor(sp?) up on E bay for $1000 someone made a post on here back then regarding that skyhigh price...he knows that those prices are high shit...but I guess he figures that the records are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for em

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    LOL

Welcome back Monty!

• People just aren't that into it anymore.

And now there is a copy popping up every couple of months now!

• its a pretty far out album. Everytime I play a track from it on the radio, I always get at least a couple calls asking who it is, usually worded as "what the hell is this!?, its incredible" ...still a nut kicker IMO

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Some haters up in this thread. Surprise, surprise.

• this record needs three more afros to reliably sell at $1K

• Options
    maybe when we had the katrina auction and my man mattafrica put his copy up. i think it broke a bill for sho

That was me, it was an even $1000. I didn't buy it as an investment and would have never put that type of money on a record if I didn't think the cause was justified. The fact that the companies we sent the donations through actually doubled or tripled that number made it even better. I've listened to it a few times but have the mp3s on the ipod now so the record hasn't been played in a long time. If we did something like that auction again I'd put it back up so someone else could own it for awhile, as long as the cause was a good one. No regrets here at all.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've listened to it a few times but have the mp3s on the ipod now so the record hasn't been played in a long time. If we did something like that auction again I'd put it back up so someone else could own it for awhile...

Off topic here. (Where is that Enoch Light Hijack icon?)

It is my opinion that when a record reaches a certain value in $$$ it will be continuously put up for sale.

No one can afford to just hold the record.
    It becomes too valuable to play in regular rotation.
    It becomes too valuable to play in the club.
    So it just sits on the shelf.
    After a few years the owner realizes they no longer get enjoyment from just holding the item.
    And back on the market it goes.

I'm not talking about this record or Sween here. I am making a more general point.

What do you think?

• I've listened to it a few times but have the mp3s on the ipod now so the record hasn't been played in a long time. If we did something like that auction again I'd put it back up so someone else could own it for awhile...

It is my opinion that when a record reaches a certain value in $$$ it will be continuously put up for sale.

After a few years the owner realizes they no longer get enjoyment from just holding the item.

I'm not talking about this record or Sween here. I am making a more general point.

What do you think?

I dont know, although I do not own any bonafide $1000+ records at the moment (ive sold a few, but they werent my type of music, so I had no reservations about selling them), I have many $300 to $700 pieces and I have never not DJ'd with them, nor limited my playing of them becasue of their value...the music on them is the most important thing and is the reason I own them in the first place..if i dont plan on listening to them or playing them for other people, I wouldnt have them

• Options
    I've listened to it a few times but have the mp3s on the ipod now so the record hasn't been played in a long time. If we did something like that auction again I'd put it back up so someone else could own it for awhile...

What do you think?

I don't know enough about the record market to be able to answer that, but I do know that the economy is in the shitter and I would think people might need to raise some cash wherever they can. I know you said you weren't referring to me but I mentioned that I would sell it for a worthy cause, not to bank some cash for myself. BUT, if I suddenly lost my job and the mortgage was coming due and cash was getting thin and I was getting hungry then this record along with a bunch of other things I have laying around that could bring in some money would be out the door with the quickness, unfortunately.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

talmbout dealers or collectors? Collectors will hold onto for decades[/b]
    what about Northern djs? Those folks be playing ten grand singles on the regular, no?[/b]
    all part of the collectoring business[/b]
    again, part of the collector mindset. There's pleasure for some folks in just knowing they have the thing. It could even be in a bank vault. Coin collectors do this all the time[/b]
    and your collector relies on this very fact. Supply and demand. Econ 101. it's making the world go round. Now which of you unhappy owners has a Daybreak 'Everything Man' og for me?[/b]