Before The Music Dies (Documentary)

PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Worth while viewing for musicians and music fans...http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-856606244008931882Before the Music Dies (B4MD) is a 2006 documentary film that criticizes the American music industry and the increasing commercialization of the art of music over the past thirty years. The film features interviews and performances from such musicians and groups as Doyle Bramhall II, Erykah Badu, Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, Branford Marsalis, and My Morning Jacket. It was directed by Andrew Shapter, produced by Joel Rasmussen, and co-written by Shapter and Jasmussen. The film premiered on March 12, 2006 at the South by Southwest film festival in Austin, Texas.Sorry if this has been posted here before, it is from 2006 after all.

Comments

• new to me, watching now..........thanks man

• butt naked with glitter on you and a beeper.

ha ha.

• Wasn't pop music always formulaic to a certain extent though?

• gnarliament. I always get a kick out if your posts when they are questions, because it always seems like they are sarcastic since Snoop is there shaking his head.

I think pop music has always being formulaic, but I think the movie is trying to say that the formula has become the only model and now there isn't room for music that doesn't fit into a quick money making model.

• thanks for posting but that was one of the most facile and superficial documentaries i have ever seen.

it is chock full of contradictions, assumptions, cliches and as gnarliament mentioned completely devoid of any real historical context.

although the premise is a bit weird: "my dying friend said he was worried about the state of the popular music industry and i decided to find out," its not horrible. the real problem i have with this one is that instead of asking that question honestly and doing a study to verify the accuracy of it, they adopt that position as the truth from the git go.

So these horrible, indulgent jam bands and this blooze hammer guitarist dude are supposed to be the model of authenticity and soul in modern music?

• thanks for posting but that was one of the most facile and superficial documentaries i have ever seen.

it is chock full of contradictions, assumptions, cliches and as gnarliament mentioned completely devoid of any real historical context.

although the premise is a bit weird: "my dying friend said he was worried about the state of the popular music industry and i decided to find out," its not horrible. the real problem i have with this one is that instead of asking that question honestly and doing a study to verify the accuracy of it, they adopt that position as the truth from the git go.

So these horrible, indulgent jam bands and this blooze hammer guitarist dude are supposed to be the model of authenticity and soul in modern music?

yeah, I feel you on that. Especially the jam band and blooze hammer comments. It was kind of like "this dude is the truth, even Eric Clapton says so! He is what real music should be."

I guess I wasn't really watching it to learn anything and didn't even really think much about it. I just got a kick out of Erykah Badu.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    thanks for posting but that was one of the most facile and superficial documentaries i have ever seen.

YES!! I stopped watching after too much irrelevant Eric Clapton praise of this blues dude.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    thanks for posting but that was one of the most facile and superficial documentaries i have ever seen.

YES!! I stopped watching after too much irrelevant Eric Clapton praise of this blues dude.

yeah, pretty painful to watch... crazy amount of shit-talking.
    As far as I'm concerned, music could die rather today than tomorrow. I couldn't care less if nobody would ever record one single song ever again. Who needs it? There's absolutely no relevant musical style or movement out there nowadays anyway and on the other side, there's so much really amazing old music to be re-discovered, I have no fear to ever be in the need for anything newly recorded and before I start wasting my bucks on CDs or downloads, I'd much rather burn my money or wipe my ass with it.

Gotta love how they find out how corrupt radio stations are... what a surprise! I mean what would anybody want to expect from commercial mainstream radio? And who with any love for music would ever want to listen to mainstream radio?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, music could die rather today than tomorrow. I couldn't care less if nobody would ever record one single song ever again. Who needs it? There's absolutely no relevant musical style or movement out there nowadays anyway and on the other side, there's so much really amazing old music to be re-discovered, I have no fear to ever be in the need for anything newly recorded and before I start wasting my bucks on CDs or downloads, I'd much rather burn my money or wipe my ass with it.

Gotta love how they find out how corrupt radio stations are... what a surprise! I mean what would anybody want to expect from commercial mainstream radio? And who with any love for music would ever want to listen to mainstream radio?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Put me right to sleep the time I tried to watch it.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I agree that this documentary is not amazing, I guess I just enjoying watching anything music related, I'm simple like that. I couldn't agree more about the jam band dude that was supposed to be the next big thing, horrible.

It's a shame you believe there is no good new music being released.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    More of Billy Preston tho plz...

• More of Billy Preston tho plz...

Yeah, as soon as we think of a way to raise the dead...

(THAT'S how old this documentary is)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

No disrespect, but this sounds like grumpy dad-speak. Reminds me of something my stepfather and all the other stagnant rock dudes of his generation would say to me when I was growing up. Except for the re-discovery part. They'd just be content with listening to the same 20 Neil Young/Black Sabbath/Jimi Hendrix/yadayada albums forever.

I think there's a lot of great music being released every year, but to each his own.

• Dave Matthews isn't Ornette Coleman. This 'documentary' was really a commercial for ATO records, right?

• its also a couple of years out of date, but PBS doc "merchants of cool" covers this ground much more intelligently.

it can be seen its entirety here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/view/