How many banks do we need anyway?

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I mean, if it was just one nationalized bank and all our payroll went via that, they could take out our taxes for us. Think of all the efficiency savings!

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    >>The government already holds $52 billion of preferred shares in Citigroup, five times the bank's market value as of Feb. 20.

wwwwwaitaminute...

• link please

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    they could take out our taxes for us.

44 House Republicans submit bill to eliminate income taxes

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h25/show

• I mean, if it was just one nationalized bank and all our payroll went via that, they could take out our taxes for us. Think of all the efficiency savings!

Wow!

• they could take out our taxes for us.

44 House Republicans submit bill to eliminate income taxes

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h25/show

Republicans will submit a lot of nonsense stuff they know will never pass just so the uninformed public will start cheering for them. That being said, this country hasn't always had an income tax so it's not unrealistic that we can reform our tax laws to exclude it. Just be prepared to pay out the ass in other taxes. You're not really saving any money. Just doing less paperwork (1040EZ related). Ultimately, if you want to REALLY pay less in taxes the government has to SPEND less and live off what they make. File all this under commonsense.

• I mean, if it was just one nationalized bank and all our payroll went via that, they could take out our taxes for us. Think of all the efficiency savings!

First up, having one bank is a seriously bad idea.

Second. You mean you're taxes aren't automatically deducted? You put money aside and then pay them at the end of the year or something? Seriously? What year is it over there?

I dunno what you are on about Mr 268 posts. But def the markets are bottoming out. I mean 7,000? WTF! There's no way the DOW can go lower, it's not natural! Anyway Microsoft is coming out w/ a killa app this summer so that should spur some sort of recovery I reckon.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Remember not to long ago when construction was booming, there were banks being built on every single corner, demolishing old buildings for new banks, not no more. They were the fast food craze of buildings in the early to mid 2000's.

• Sorry, i'll rack up some more posts on a record forum before i comment on economic matters in future.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

First up, having one bank is a seriously bad idea.

Second. You mean you're taxes aren't automatically deducted? You put money aside and then pay them at the end of the year or something? Seriously? What year is it over there?

If you're working a legit job with a legit company you do have taxes deducted from your weekly paycheck.

And while we have seen the harm having mismanaged/misregulated banks can do, having one national bank is a bad idea as well.

Remember not to long ago when construction was booming, there were banks being built on every single corner, demolishing old buildings for new banks, not no more. They were the fast food craze of buildings in the early to mid 2000's.

And this never made sense to me.....more folks were banking on-line and banks were springing up everywhere.

• If you're working a legit job with a legit company you do have taxes deducted from your weekly paycheck.

I figured this must be the case, having to collect it yourself would just be lunacy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    CitiBank and BoA are going down.

The feds should step up and dismantle them now before they waste more of our money.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Shit when I had a mortgage. My bank collected some money for property taxes every month also. It was very nice every time I got a property tax bill I had zero worries.

I could have easily did it myself. But it was handy not to do a damn thing besides checking all figures added up...

Hands up if you know what HSBC stands for!

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.

One of the world's largest banks.

(#1 in assets)